+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bringing Worlds Together - World Spanning Storytelling on Krynn

Default Bringing Worlds Together - World Spanning Storytelling on Krynn

Many Lancers bring up the situation that the expansion supplements designed for Dragonlance which introduced areas on Krynn such as Chorane, the Dragon Isles and of course Taladas, do not associate themselves or weave themselves into the continuity of stories on Ansalon.

I wanted to pose a question: How have any of you tried to draw in these distant elements of Dragonlance into your game? Did you create a game in those settings? Did you have a character(s) adventure there from Ansalon? Or do you have elements from those remote sites visit Ansalon?

I have recently began a sea expedition story following a lost Minotaur naval ship from the Blood Sea being found by one of the Imperial League's naval vessels. The contact is rousing the League to sanction an exploration to Ansalon and set up lines of diplomacy with their Blood Sea Kin with the long reaching desire to make their conquered nation the staging ground for war.

Share some of your world spanning stories.

Later days

Well, while I was exploring the game mechanics of 4e, I ran a series of adventures. the characters basically had a flying citadel, manned by a crew of mixed races. Basically it was like Star Trek episodes, explore strange new places and new civilizations. So, I did stop off at Chorane, Selasia, the dragon isles, and Taladas. Sadly, I didn't get them to visit all of Adlatum, but I wanted to.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Weldon,

Thanks for your input. Not knowing what Age in which your explorers set sail for new and distant lands, do you think there should have been some more instances of exploration covered during the history of Dragonlance?

I find it odd that continents of people have not made any attempt during troubled times or during peace times to travel beyond their known world to explore the rest of Krynn.

Kudos to your game.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Weldon,

Thanks for your input. Not knowing what Age in which your explorers set sail for new and distant lands, do you think there should have been some more instances of exploration covered during the history of Dragonlance?

I find it odd that continents of people have not made any attempt during troubled times or during peace times to travel beyond their known world to explore the rest of Krynn.

Kudos to your game.
    Well, thanks for the kudos. I had set it in the age of mortals, so I could explore the full range of Krynn's history. But it wouldn't be too hard to try other eras. For example, with the End of the War of the Lance, the premise might be that the Solamnics, and the Whitestone alliance has commissions vessels, to explore beyond Ansalon and fight off the dragonarmies in other continents. The arrival of dragons would facilitate this. I would imagine in Age of Might, where an uncorrupted Istar commissions the exploration (and evangelism of Good gods) to realms beyond Ansalon. Also, the Wizards of high Sorcery, tasked with spreading proper magic, might commission quests to put towers on other continents.

As for why there isn't any story of explorers, are you asking why as an in-world historian? or are you asking why in terms of the DL franchise?
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 04-26-2012 at 03:49 AM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Post War on Sorcery (19 PC): The Conclave, not wanting to put all it eggs in one basket in Wayreth, establishes other safe havens or "bastions" on islands and other continents.

Note: The Full-rigged ship (about 1375-1475 AD) makes conventional trans-oceanic travel possible. Something that gets missed a lot.
    Last edited by DaemonAngel; 04-26-2012 at 08:19 AM.

'After the End of Ages' is based on this concept in an inverse way. Enough time has past that Ansalon had collapsed due to mostly unknown forces. After a period of time adventurers from the foreign lands come to Ansalon to find out what happened and see what opportunities could arise.
    "A payment. My life will simply be a payment. But only when all are free... My fault."
    - The Prophet, as recorded from testimony in FyxZharar, 431 AD

All must prepare. The Prophet has entered the war.

Projects (Dragonlance, and Non-DL):
    "The Dying Towers of Ryst: An Achanian Tale"
    "Chef Nightly" (iOS/Android)
    The Adlatum Project - Sourcebook Available
    Art of Psycha Durmont

+ Reply to Thread