+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Serpent's Skull Part 1: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv

A tad miffed, a tad unnerved, a tad relieved, Tam stood in silence, leaving the gnome to his sleep. The weight of his own burdens pressed down on him, and he turned away, returning to deck. There, he stood by the rail. He spotted a bucket near should he need it. He wouldn't, he swore to himself. He took a swig from his waterskin, and imagined the open sea before him, and the exotic port cities beyond, as his knees trembled with the increased rocking of the ship and he watched the city of Magnimar fade to the vanishing point.
    Freelance Author - Dragons of Krynn

Alchemical drafts bittering the air; and fur melted disjunctive and out of place
    all across the moose's face; eyes of glass, never to pass, by acid or flask,
    sourly invaded Ludwig's social space, in stare.

-Poem for Ludwig von Mordenheim

Days at sea went by and Tam's pale skin was getting tan, and somewhat burned as well. Something he wasn't used to in the depths of the dwarven kingdom. Still his resolve was strong and true to his word, had yet to use the bucket that seemed to glare at him every time he was on deck. A call from the crow's nest alerted everyone, another port was on the horizon. It seemed that they had arrived at their first destination...

Kintargo

Vyrian needed to get as far away from her incestuous father as she could. She needed time to think, to build, to plot. Nothing seemed better than the farthest reaches of some place called the Mwangi expanse. She found the map in the stolen coffer she pilfered from her father. Even though two hundred gold pieces wasn't much to the old man, he was a miser and wouldn't soon forget who had stolen from him. He would have his men looking for her.

She was right. All night it seemed she dodged her father's men from one alley to the next until she found herself at the docks. Morning had rose and Vyrian looked to see which ship was leaving first. From the looks of it, it appeared to be a ship named the Jenivere. With any luck it was heading south and if it wasn't... well anywhere was better than here.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Vexo gnome N Master 8 Key of Destiny
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance

"Well my dear friend, in the chronicles of history good isn't the only thing you read about. Evil has it's own tale as well. History is history, whether good or bad, I don't discriminate." Vexo said in a lecturers' tone.

Beads of sweat trickled down Vyrian's neck as she prowled the dock near the Jenivere's gang plank, her hood keeping her face in deep shadow even as the sun burned off the fog and began to heat the humid air. She wasn't sure where to inquire about passage, so she loitered near the ship's boarding area, waiting to flag down the first person that looked like they belonged to the ship's crew.
    "Argent and Rukin would fight over a goblin turd if they thought it was important to the other one." ~ Tauren Kai-Jere, Chatzy, 10/6/11

Men bustled about the deck of the Jenivere, none taking notice of the young woman trying to hail anyone who would listen. As it so happen Gelik was lazing about the deck and he did notice Vyrian. He sat on the rail blowing a feather in the air, but the wind quickly took it so his fun ended. "One moment girl!" the gnome said in an annoyed tone. He disappeared and moments later a man with a black bandana appeared at the top of the boarding plank.

"Mornin' maam! What can I do ya for? If yer lookin fer passage south, that be the way we're headin, and I can help ya. If not I think the Sea Spray over a dock or two is headin up north." The sailor wiped his hands clean on a rag and he tossed on the shoulder of a passing deck mate.

The excitement of travel had got into the blood of Tamarin as he watched the deck move with purpose. He knew it would be minutes and they would soon be back on the sea heading to a place called Pezzack. He saw Alton talking but couldn't see to who. Curiosity got to the young man as he approached the dock side. There he saw Alton talking to a cloaked and hooded woman about passage. It seemed that they might have another passenger.
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 04-04-2012 at 11:01 PM.

"Well my dear friend, in the chronicles of history good isn't the only thing you read about. Evil has it's own tale as well. History is history, whether good or bad, I don't discriminate." Vexo said in a lecturers' tone.

Seeing a woman sparked Tam's interest. He stood stoically for a moment. He had not forgotten the olive skinned woman he'd seen with the captain when he had strange red marks* on his cheek. The woman had been beautiful, and sparked strange feelings in Tam's body, natural urges he was unfamiliar with considering his lack of interaction with females of his own kind during his life in the dwarven clan. After all, he was a man now.

Tam listened from a slight distance, at first. The new passenger was clearly a woman. Though cloaked and hooded, she was slight and moved with a grace not common in men. The cowl over her head kept her face mostly hidden. Tam stepped aside Alton and her, a sense of chivalry and curiosity overcoming him. The woman saw a handsome, strapping young man with sword and bow and hammer, dressed in chain with a charcoal-black apron overlapping it. An upside-down hammer swung from his neck on a silver chain. He had dark eyes and pale skin reddened like a lobster from the sun, and silky black curly locks tumbling on his broad shoulders. He was not overly tall, but taller than her, enough to make a fine warrior.

"And I am Tam Stake," he added to Alton's words to her. "Another passenger, not a crew member. That's Gelik, yet another passenger headed south," he pointed at the nearby gnome. "If you book passage, I can show you to a bunk below," he offered, thinking Alton had enough to deal with.

OOC
    *I'm assuming Tam isn't quite sure about what lipstick is yet. I just can't imagine dwarven women using it lol.

Alchemical drafts bittering the air; and fur melted disjunctive and out of place

Vyrian immediately felt a sense of gratitude toward the irritable little gnome when a member of the ship's crew addressed her from the top of the plank. The man's words were like music to the tiefling's ears: south.

"Yes, south," Vyrian affirmed with a nod. "How soon will you be leaving?" she inquired as a broad shouldered youth broke into her business deal. She politely listened to his introductions, though she was gritting her teeth and glancing at the passing crowds the whole time, anxious to be aboard and out of sight. The young man's next words, however, pinned Vyrian's eyes to the his face.

Wants to show me a bunk, does he? Vyrian thought angrily, her eyes boring into Tam's forehead. She scrutinized his face. He was young indeed, probably not any older than she was. His eyes lacked both the cruel glint of a brute and the leer of a lecher. Could it be that this man was simply being...nice?

Vyrian relaxed a little, breaking off her glare and clearing her throat.

"Thank you," she replied, acknowledging the offer before turning back to Alton.

"So, how much for passage as far south as you are going? And when do you depart?" the tiefling asked again, in a hurry to get out of Cheliax as soon as mortally possible.
    "Argent and Rukin would fight over a goblin turd if they thought it was important to the other one." ~ Tauren Kai-Jere, Chatzy, 10/6/11

Alton smiled at the youth as he spoke to the young woman. He knew how it was to be young, the juices that flowed. Tam didn't know but his interaction actually helped Vyrian. "I guess I could go as low as twenty five gold but no less." The man in the bandana said looking in Tam's direction. "Normally we ask for at least fifty gold, but for you I'll make an exception." The first mate said. "We leave within the next ten to fifteen minutes, look likes it's yer lucky day miss." Alton held out his hand, not to help the lady aboard but to take her coin. Tam was here to help her on board... at least that was what Alton thought!

Tam did help her on board, taking her by the hand and easing her up. Tam still didn't get a good look at her face, heavily covered by a cowl. Perhaps she was horribly scared and embarrassed of her appearance - not beautiful like the olive skinned woman he'd not seen in five days since they left port in Mandibar.

"I will be paying for this lady's passage," Tam told Alton as he fished through a belt pouch. Twenty-five gold coins fell into Alton's outstretched hand. Tam led the lady away from him, leading her below. On the way he tried to make her feel at ease, but couldn't think of how to. He also noticed she was not some poor peasant girl seeking passage for some desperate reason - he noticed she wore black leather armor finely made. Of course, that may have been stolen, though it seemed to fit her well. There was a strange scent about her - Tam couldn't place his finger on it, it was foreign to him.

"What is your name, milady?" he asked as they descended into the bowels of the ship. The light was dim but that did not bother Tam's perception of his surroundings, nor did it seem to bother her, he noticed. She was sure-footed enough as he led her down to where the bunks were, into the darkness.

"Did you have your own bedroll?" he asked.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 04-05-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Tam was right, Alton did have other things to do and when the gold hit Alton's hand he nodded to the young man. "Looks like you have a guardian angel ma'am!!" Alton said as he clutched and pocketed the gold. He moved away from the young love birds and made sure the Jenivere was ready for sailing.

"My name is Vyrian," she replied, shrugging out of her pack, "and I have a bedroll, yes." The woman set her pack in a hammock to keep it from sliding all over the cabin when the ship hit open waters. She finally looked back up at Tam, who was watching her still.

"Thank you for paying my passage," Vyrian said sincerely. It was the first kind thing anyone had done for her in a very long time. She just hoped the young man didn't have any other motive in mind.

"Why? she asked him, on impulse. "Why did you do that?

+ Reply to Thread