+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Discussion

Default Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Discussion

I have to say that I am excited about the new roleplaying system that is being put out by Margaret Weis Productions. Anytime I can play as Captain America is a good day.

Has anyone else checked this out?
    Chuck

Editor of the Palanthas Herald

Member of the Whitestone Council

Crew on the Dragonlance Canticle

Former Contributor of the Lexicon

Default Moved to Gaming

Agreed on Cap. I'm excited to see the game. I found that the news of the game has renewed my interest in comics to a degree. Been reading some Alpha Flight and Green Hornet.

BTW, this is a perfect topic for Gaming. No need to put it in Community just because it isn't DL or D&D. I want to be supportive of MWP.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

This game is going to knock people's socks off. I've played it a few times now, and as someone who's never been all that interested in the supers genre of comics or gaming, the game is just rock'em sock'em fun.

http://www.margaretweis.com/news/122-marvel-promos

Everyone from the rules people & writers to layout to editing* is doing a wonderful job.

* Not at all biased, but I may know the managing editor personally.
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!

How does it compare with the old TSR Marvel Superheroes Basic in terms of rules crunch and quickness of char gen? Or is it closer to Mutants & Masterminds? (absolutely hated it)
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Dave Chalker's article talks about the marvel game he played in at DDXP and I assume that this is the system. He said that he loved the character generation of this and hated M&M one. So from that I see that this is a really nice rpg to create a new character and not a tedious exercise.
    Chuck

Editor of the Palanthas Herald

Crew on the Dragonlance Canticle

Former Contributor of the Lexicon

I had a great conversation with Cam about this at Gencon. I love the fact of how each supplementary book is going to be based on a Marvel comics storyline, instead of just general splat information.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

As a comic book nut/self-professed Marvel Zombie and someone's who's been looking for a super-hero RPG to play for years, I am super-excited about this game. I'm already talking it up at the comic book store I work at and totally plan to run some demos there once the game is out!
    Head Moderator &

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    How does it compare with the old TSR Marvel Superheroes Basic in terms of rules crunch and quickness of char gen? Or is it closer to Mutants & Masterminds? (absolutely hated it)
    Supers fans who like lots of rules crunch or a highly tactical combat experience would be better served by M&M, DC Heroes, or Champions. Marvel is much simpler, mechanically; it tries to get the fast and furious style of comic brawls to the gaming table.

You can get a pretty good idea for how Marvel's expression of Cortex Plus works by looking at these promos: http://www.margaretweis.com/news/121-marvel-promos . It's pretty simple - pick a die from each category on your sheet by choosing what abilities are relevant to the situation, roll 'em, and see what you get. Like other Cortex Plus games, spend a plot point or two to get extra effects. Earn a plot point or two by accepting limitations or disadvantages.

Chargen is intended to be nice and quick - time from sitting down at the table to rolling dice in your first scene is 10 to 30 minutes or so, depending on how familiar you are with the system.
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkvalentine
    Chargen is intended to be nice and quick - time from sitting down at the table to rolling dice in your first scene is 10 to 30 minutes or so, depending on how familiar you are with the system.
    That sounds a lot like how the process works for Dragon Age (which I really enjoy as well). If it's even half as simple and effective mechanically then the Marvel RPG is going to be a lot of fun!

Can't wait, can't wait!
    Head Moderator &

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by clarkvalentine View Post
    Supers fans who like lots of rules crunch or a highly tactical combat experience would be better served by M&M, DC Heroes, or Champions. Marvel is much simpler, mechanically; it tries to get the fast and furious style of comic brawls to the gaming table.

You can get a pretty good idea for how Marvel's expression of Cortex Plus works by looking at these promos: http://www.margaretweis.com/news/121-marvel-promos . It's pretty simple - pick a die from each category on your sheet by choosing what abilities are relevant to the situation, roll 'em, and see what you get. Like other Cortex Plus games, spend a plot point or two to get extra effects. Earn a plot point or two by accepting limitations or disadvantages.

The pdf won't read very well.
    Anyway, the important thing is that the game is FAR AWAY from the likes of M&M/new DC Heroes and Champions.
    I will have to pick this up, it seems
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

+ Reply to Thread