+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Perkins says there's only one story worth telling in Dragonlance

Default Chris Perkins says there's only one story worth telling in Dragonlance

Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Dear Chris,

Bite me.

Love and kisses,
    Trampas
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

It may not be the only story worth telling; however, it is the story told most often. The world of Krynn is hamstrung by the War of the Lance. The setting can't really evolve because everything keeps coming back to these pivotal events. Given a chance to advance the setting or default back to War of the Lance era Dragonlance, those holding the reins often opt for the default because it is safe and they know it'll sell. Its hard to sell diehards on anything but War of the Lance. It may not be fair, but as my boss is fond of saying, "it is what it is."
    Currently Reading: Stardust, Neil Gaiman

“There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

If you ask me what I think is the most iconic D&D
    story, I’d probably defend the War of the Lance as my
    #1 choice. I grew up reading The Dragonlance Chronicles,
    and nothing else in my opinion comes close to
    feeling as epic. However, the Dragonlance® setting
    is hamstrung by the fact that there’s one story worth
    telling, and every other adventure seems to pale in
    comparison. (Feel free to disagree.)

Dear Chris:

I disagree..............with feelings.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Gerrin; 02-02-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: change of heart
    Chuck

Editor of the Palanthas Herald

Member of the Whitestone Council

Crew on the Dragonlance Canticle

Former Contributor of the Lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by Kendermage View Post
    It may not be the only story worth telling; however, it is the story told most often. The world of Krynn is hamstrung by the War of the Lance. The setting can't really evolve because everything keeps coming back to these pivotal events. Given a chance to advance the setting or default back to War of the Lance era Dragonlance, those holding the reins often opt for the default because it is safe and they know it'll sell. Its hard to sell diehards on anything but War of the Lance. It may not be fair, but as my boss is fond of saying, "it is what it is."
    If only Dragonlance had been given the terrible Avatars thing that happened in the Realms and trust me nobody wants to go back.
    Chuck

I'm really fired up about this for some odd reason, its probably good that weren't not recording a podcast tonight as you would have to put with my rant.

I want to send Chris my copies of Cam's adventure trilogy. (you want something more epic, more interesting, and if it had ever been written as a novel trilogy would have rocked)

Hmmm......Perhaps I will send my copies to Chris, of course that would mean buying new ones.
    Chuck

My actual response was much nicer.

Chris,

I am going to respectfully disagree with you about Dragonlance. My recommendation would be to play the Age of Mortals trilogy of adventures by Margaret Weis Productions, as well as the Anvil of Time in Legends of the Twins. For reading, I would recommend the expanded works of Weis and Hickman, as well as novels by Richard Knaak and Chris Pierson (who I always confuse with you).

There have been many stories worth telling in Dragonlance, as evidenced by over 25 years of novels and gaming books. Dragonlance has done the best as a novel world, but its 3rd edition incarnation was its golden era.

I know that Dragonlance had its fair share of products that weren't so great. Most were made during the 2nd edition era. And yes, the Fifth Age was a dividing point amongst fans, a phenomenon now replicated in the Realms with the Spellplague.

Don't take those eras as being representative of Dragonlance past the original Chronicles modules. My recommendation would be to delve into the sourcebooks produced by Margaret Weis Productions during 3rd edition, and you can see what Dragonlance is truly capable of.

Give it a chance. There's always a spot open at my table.

Long live the Lance!

Trampas Whiteman
    Dragonlance Nexus
    http://www.dlnexus.com
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrin View Post
    I'm really fired up about this for some odd reason, its probably good that weren't not recording a podcast tonight as you would have to put with my rant.
    Actually, I think you should rant. Send out responses to everyone, on the wizards forums and Enworld forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrin View Post
    I want to send Chris my copies of Cam's adventure trilogy. (you want something more epic, more interesting, and if it had ever been written as a novel trilogy would have rocked)

Hmmm......Perhaps I will send my copies to Chris, of course that would mean buying new ones.
    Well, how about this? Why not start a movement? Nothing on ebay, but amazon.com has a used one for $78. Certainly we all can scrounge up $78 bucks. And I know some people working at WotC who can personally shove it in Chris's face and make him play it.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Guys, come on. DL1-14 is seriously famous amongst the greater D&D fan-base. To some people it’s even the most iconic D&D adventure series. Other DL modules are not known outside of hardcore DL fandom. So, why do you think that is? And, honestly, is this the first time you’ve heard someone say something bad about DL? Are you really shocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    Guys, come on. DL1-14 is seriously famous amongst the greater D&D fan-base. To some people it’s even the most iconic D&D adventure series. Other DL modules are not known outside of hardcore DL fandom. So, why do you think that is? And, honestly, is this the first time you’ve heard someone say something bad about DL? Are you really shocked?
    Heheh. All I have in response is that "the good redeem their own." And we need to do some aggressive redeeming on Chris. It's not that the DL modules and chronicles are great (which they are), it's that DL is not hamstrung by the greatness of the War of the Lance. Just as I urge folks to look at SAGA before dissing it, I think we need to give Chris a chance to see what's available, i.e. Cam's Price of Courage, which, is just as awesome in size, scope and design.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

+ Reply to Thread