+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: [5e] Various Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    How does that affect Dragonlance? Does the steel standard become more rare?
    My first instinct?

1 5E silver piece = 1 DL gold piece
    1 5E gold piece = 1 DL steel piece

Depending on how the prices are set up, this may allow you to make steel the 'gold standard' without letting Caramon use his sword and shield to buy the Inn of the Last Home.
    Matthew L. Martin, Chronicler of the Martinian Canon, the Anti-Canon, Desolate Krynn and numerous other 'wrong' versions of Krynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Haven't we established that already through the books? I thought the Lost Chronicles and other books in that setting, put together, have pretty much confirmed it for Ansalon.
    Oh is that in Lost Chronicles now? That's good. Which book?

The old "steel became more valuable for coins because it was used to make weapons" was really dumb.
    The official canon of Dragonlance, for a variety of reasons, is not as good as it could be. I do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by ferratus View Post
    Oh is that in Lost Chronicles now? That's good. Which book?
    I'll have to check, but I think it's either in Highlord Skies or Hourglass Mage. I do recall seeing something somewhere about steel coin with Ariakas's face printed on it. His might basically set how people were paid in his armies.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 01-30-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Lightbulb

Monte Cook posted a new L&L today. You can find it herehttp://http://wizards.com/dnd/Articl...d/4ll/20120206 It confirmed my suspicions that 5E is not a method for people to play all sorts of different editions at the same table, nor is it going to be a system compatible with every previous edition, it is a new thing that is designed to capture the feel of previous editions.

This line here pretty much stabs the idea of multiple edition play in the heart "To be clear, we're not talking about creating a bridge so that you can play 1E and 4E at the same time. Instead, we're allowing you to play a 1E-style game or a 4E-style game with the same rules."
    Sallis the Silver Blaze
    Member of the Whitestone Council

When a man strays from the right path, a kind man needs the courage to raise his fist and correct him.

I don't think it was ever said that you could play any previous edition at all. My understanding has always been as Monte Cook says now.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Well, that was never what they were aiming for. D&DNext is supposed to allow people with vastly different playstyles play together, and / or allows lovers of complex characters play with people that just want an 1e-style fighter (but NOT an 1e fighter). The tools to achieve this are the simplicity of the baseline game system and the modularity of the rules - need grid-based combat? Use that module!

Actually allowing chars from different editions playing in the same game? I quote a post i made at ENworld:

"The wraith hits you! You are drained of 1d4 levels!"
    "Haha! I play the 4e char! No level drain for me. Just losing a couple of healing surges!"
    "Damnit!"

4e Cleric: "I use my healing surges to get myself back to full".
    1e Fighter: "Great. Now heal me, will you?"
    4e Cleric: *waves hand* "Here, spend a healing surge +1d6".
    1e Fighter: "But i don't have... Aaaagh!"

"If the goblin enters this square, i get an AoO. I threaten it".
    "The goblin gets +2 against OAs provoked by moving".
    "Yeah, but does this help against AoOs? Just asking, of course!"
    "Hey, i think as an 1e fighter, i get a passing attack regardless of any stuff!"
    "Woah, your 1e fighter is sticky!"
    *Looks down at his charsheet* "Damn this coolaid!"

"Okay, roll for system shock".
    "Wah?"
    "I mean, uh, make a... well... i attack your fortitude! Yes" *rolls* "Hit!"
    "What happens nown?"
    "You die"
    "Oh. Well, my paragon path ability triggers. I'm back to life again"
    "Wah?"

"You hear the voice of your god, scalding you. Suddenly you realize that you lost your powers!"
    "But in 4e, you get your powers for good! Your god cannot take them away once you get them".
    "Well, YOU decided to worship Cyric, did you? He isn't able to answer prayers in 4e, so it must be the 3e Cyric, so he can take away your powers. QED".
    "I hate you so much".

"It will be very hard to open that knot. The bandit who made it had a Use Rope skill of +12!"
    "Uh, i don't have Use Rope. I'm a 4e char".
    "Well, my 1e thief doesn't have the necessary NWP".
    "Ha! Use Rope is useful again! Wooohooo" *DM's victory dance"
    Barbarian: "I hack the rope in twain. Regardless of edition".

EDIT: Sallis, your avatar and a reference to Dragonlance tells me that you've been present in the thread i quoted, so sorry for the repetition.
    "Once there was a golden age, but since the great Fantasy Heartbreak, they call their land Generica."

what does mearls mean by this comment then ?

We hope to create a system that allows players to use much of their existing content, regardless of the edition.
    Home for OD&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd edition, Dragonsfoot

I believe what Mearls means is that your existing books can translate to 5e. Remember that one of 5eís goals is to emulate the play styles of prior editions. It isnít to replicate them. Thereís a difference.

For some reason, some misconception that people can play 1e and 4e (example) side by side came up in fandom. Thereís no way, as the rules differ vastly and the burden on the DM would be astonishing.

5e will have a core mechanic, then modules added on to emulate various play styles. In the end, though, 5e will have to be a cohesive, self-contained game.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwolf View Post
    what does mearls mean by this comment then ?
    I think from reading through what I have is that if you have 1st edition, 2nd edition, or any edition you will be able to convert it into 5th edition. Whether this means that the material is compatible to other conversions is unknown.

I think that being able to convert material into a new edition is key as then you don't feel like you wasted hundred or thousands of dollars on books that are now not being supported. Its a good move and whether or not how well things will convert at least there the real option unlike when 4th edition came along and there was no real conversion matrix.

I think that this will folks who enjoy 4e to get that feel, while if I enjoy 1e I can play games with modulars that feels in that style. Also I can pull some of that older information out and while some of my favorite settings may not be available right away, I can now pull out Birthright and run it again with its original material.
    Chuck

Editor of the Palanthas Herald

Member of the Whitestone Council

Crew on the Dragonlance Canticle

Former Contributor of the Lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrin View Post
    I think that being able to convert material into a new edition is key as then you don't feel like you wasted hundred or thousands of dollars on books that are now not being supported. Its a good move and whether or not how well things will convert at least there the real option unlike when 4th edition came along and there was no real conversion matrix.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I love conversion guides. When I converted my wookiee Jedi from the WEG d6 system for Star Wars to WotC's original d20, I used the conversion guide they provided, and it rocked. Going from 2e to 3e was made a lot easier with the conversion guide they had for 3e. Yes, there were some areas that could have been done better (i.e. percentage Str). But it was invaluable.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a 4e conversion guide. I think that put a lot of people off. I've gotten fairly good at eyballing conversions, but younger players might need some help.

I think that this will folks who enjoy 4e to get that feel, while if I enjoy 1e I can play games with modulars that feels in that style. Also I can pull some of that older information out and while some of my favorite settings may not be available right away, I can now pull out Birthright and run it again with its original material.
    I think there's a lot of good stuff from all editions, from a multitude of companies (thinking OGL here). I would like 5e to be a game system that makes conversions of those materials easy.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

+ Reply to Thread