+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fan-built War of the Lance Board Game: Solace Maps

Default Fan-built War of the Lance Board Game: Solace Maps

Hi Folks. I

Well, I decided that we needed to expand the conversation about a fan-made D&D board game based on Dragonlance. So, to begin, what I would like to do in this thread is to talk about the map. The D&D board game comes with about 40 4x4 inch tiles. By putting each tile together, you create a maze/dungeon. So, here's my idea. For the Solace/Silvanesti map, I'd like to create about 40 tiles. Unlike the maze, my plan is to make tiles with giant trees.

Here's the general idea.
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5l...xZmEz&hl=en_US

So, for Solace, there will be walkways and gangplanks up in the "trees."

Also, I think I'd like some specific sites in Solace. For example, the starting point will be the Inn of the Last Home. I was thinking it would be cool to have the courtyard (where elves will be burned) and Tika's house (the finish line). What else do you think should be here? I'm also thinking The Trough, or even Theros's smithy.

What does everyone think?
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 11-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I don't have any of these games. Is each "encounter" within a 4 x 4 tile? That means any set pieces will either have to fit within that 20' x 20' area or be made up of multiple tiles?
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knapp View Post
    I don't have any of these games. Is each "encounter" within a 4 x 4 tile? That means any set pieces will either have to fit within that 20' x 20' area or be made up of multiple tiles?
    Yes, an "encounter" would be randomly drawing a new tile, and placing it in an open edge of an existing tile. As a new tile is drawn, a monster can come with the new tile, or a "magical event" happens. A set piece would be made of multiple tiles. If anyone requests it, I can use my tiles to create a "dungeon" and post it online. For example, in Wrath of Ashardalon, A dragon's layer is made of 6 such 4x4 tiles. Combined, they form a 10x8 space on which to comfortably place a 3x3 dragon.

Here's an interesting thought. Given a choice, would you want a DL boardgame to include the *entire* Inn? or more tree tiles? My original plan was to make lots of tree tiles, so as to provide more choices and randomness to Solace. However, I think it would be really really cool to have the Inn, so characters to actually go out the kitchen.

Weldon
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 11-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Fanwank
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

i like this idea but i think the tiles need to be bigger if they are to include peoples houses and shops in the trees maybe 6x6 4x4 might be fine for a dungion but houses need to be a little more detailed perhaps how are the tiles connected by walkway tiles that are a set length or do they just connect i have not got a copy of the origonal game but i have made tiles for my game of dragonlance mordhiem i play every now and again and our solace is connected by walk ways
    -Sticko, Dragonlance Nexus staff artist.

Under the winter skies
    We stand glorious!
    And with Oden on our side
    We are victorious!

I was playing with some tiles and created a few to see what they might look like. Seem kinda small. Maybe bigger tiles, or specific set pieces?

tiles.jpgmap.jpg
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

mate they look nicer than my hand drawn ones but they are fairly similiar only for my mordhiem games there are tables and other objects in the rooms and the smallest tile is a 6x6 the largest being the inn is 14x 10 if im correct.

but i think you won the job of making the tiles for Weldon lol

in fact i might ask you to make me some for my 4e games and my mordheim mock up
    -Sticko, Dragonlance Nexus staff artist.

Under the winter skies
    We stand glorious!
    And with Oden on our side
    We are victorious!

Yeap. I looked at them yesterday, and these tiles are looking pretty cool. I didn't respond last night, because I was trying to figure out how these tiles will fit over "ground" tiles. Heck, I could toss out the "ground" tiles and reserve those for a future silvanesti map.
    Fanwank

ground tiles wouldnt fit solace, unless ur doing theros's smithy which is obviously on the ground. Hey, the tiles look cool can you make some more for solace and send it to me via pm? Coz my friends and i recently set up a dnd club, and we would love it if we could have solace tiles, shes a dl fan too......
    "Only one spoon missing, and the kender's been in here for over an hour. That must set some kind of record" - Dalamar, Dragons of Summer Flame.

"Now I know the world is coming to an end." - Dalamar after witnessing Tas take a box, stop himself, and put it back, Dragons of Summer Flame.

Long live the lance!!

Well if you're using the Silvanesti Nightmare as a way to mix locations and scenes and places, there's no reason you have to have the entire locale on one tile, just a vital room or element. It's not the entire "Inn of the Last Home" it's the common room. You can just combine 2-4 to form a larger building.

+ Reply to Thread