+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote Dragonlance

Lightbulb Vote Dragonlance

WotC currently has a poll asking which setting they should do the next adventure path in. We should all show our support for Dragonlance and vote Krynn in the poll. It is located here: http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?...4dmxp/20110609
    Sallis the Silver Blaze
    Member of the Whitestone Council

When a man strays from the right path, a kind man needs the courage to raise his fist and correct him.

Voted!

I have to wonder if they're considering doing the Chronicles adventures. Again.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    Voted!

I have to wonder if they're considering doing the Chronicles adventures. Again.
    While I can see your point regarding WotL done 3(4?) times already now, my feeling is that its like printing the same great book in a different language. In this case, the story is the same, but the language has changed (3E to 4E.) When thought of in those terms, would you say to a French reader, "We don't need a French version! We already have English, Spanish, and we got a German translation just 4 years ago!"
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

In that case, WE NEED A PATHFINDER VERSION!

Oh wait... damn conflicting copyrights.
    "A payment. My life will simply be a payment. But only when all are free... My fault."
    - The Prophet, as recorded from testimony in FyxZharar, 431 AD

All must prepare. The Prophet has entered the war.

Projects (Dragonlance, and Non-DL):
    "Adlatum - Ten Years Later" (on hold)
    "The Dying Towers of Ryst: An Achanian Tale"
    "Kickscout" (iOS/Android)
    The Adlatum Project - Sourcebook Available
    Art of Psycha Durmont

If it's Chronicles again I don't think I'll be buying it. I already have three editions worth of Chronicles. Everything I need to play through the WotL can be found in either the Classics (Volumes I-III), the 15th Anniversary Classics (with notes on using both Saga and D&D to run it), and the 3.5 versions so recently completed.

I don't need another edition. I'd rather spend my money on something I don't have yet. However, I have no doubts that WotC is going to that is the War of the Lance until they've wrung every penny that can be squeezed from it. I know WotC is in business to make money, but I don't have to subsidize it by buying remakes. I don't see any of the remakes Hollywood makes on principle and I think I'm going to adopt the same policy here. Stop with the remakes. Do something original. Stop treating customers like criminals and maybe then I'll give you my money again.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Your Mileage May Vary.
    ModeratorKendermage's Character Roster:

Currently Reading: Son of Neptune, Rick Riordan

"Let's go be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knapp View Post
    While I can see your point regarding WotL done 3(4?) times already now, my feeling is that its like printing the same great book in a different language. In this case, the story is the same, but the language has changed (3E to 4E.) When thought of in those terms, would you say to a French reader, "We don't need a French version! We already have English, Spanish, and we got a German translation just 4 years ago!"
    And you make a good point here. Chronicles was great, but imagine if you got to play with some of the new materials available in 4e. It could provide a whole new feel.

Likewise, while we may have experienced Chronicles several times over, it will be new to somebody.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kendermage View Post
    I know WotC is in business to make money, but I don't have to subsidize it by buying remakes. I don't see any of the remakes Hollywood makes on principle and I think I'm going to adopt the same policy here. Stop with the remakes. Do something original. Stop treating customers like criminals and maybe then I'll give you my money again.
    I get what you're saying, but for some reason, I see this a bit different than Hollywood. Hopefully I can explain this.

In Hollywood, what they do is take the shell of the story, and put in all-new actors. They modernize it, change the story around a bit. And it has a totally different dynamic.

Now, let's compare with novels. How many versions of Lord of the Rings are out there? A ton. Yet the inner content doesn't change.

With RPG remakes, we have a few things to consider, such as how the setting, rules, and stories are remade.

In Dark Sun, they re-envisioned the world through the "lens" of 4th edition, creating a magnificent result. For the few adventures WotC has translated from prior editions, usually it's with the story kept intact and only the rulesy items changed.

So if they re-did Chronicles, I would assume the names and faces would all be the same. The heart of the story would be there. It's just the rules that would get a makeover. How big of an impact would that have on story? Hard to say.

So I guess RPG remakes lie somewhere between novels and Hollywood.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

One other thing to add...

A remake of Chronicles is not a full-on Hollywood remake, like the remakes of Arthur or the Karate Kid. It would be more like Star Wars' special editions, or the Star Trek episodes where they added new effects.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

For what it’s worth, I voted against Krynn. I hope Dragonlance can survive the 4e era untouched, and so avoid the otherwise inevitable creation of yet another “continuity.”

Unhappy

If Dragonlance survives 4e untouched it will be because it is dead and forgotten.
    Sallis the Silver Blaze
    Member of the Whitestone Council

When a man strays from the right path, a kind man needs the courage to raise his fist and correct him.

+ Reply to Thread