+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Pathfinder] The Oracle (a.k.a. The Mystic)

Thumbs up [Pathfinder] The Oracle (a.k.a. The Mystic)

Hello people!

I haven't read here any discussion regarding the 4 classes that Jason revealed will be part of 2010's Advanced Player's Handbook for the Pathfinder RPG. Of the four, perhaps the most interesting for us, Dragonlance fans, is the Oracle. Although it basicallly sounds like a sorcererous cleric (i.e. spontaneous divine caster), I think we can still hope it could work out as a replacement/base of conversion for a Pathfinder Mystic (although we already have a very nice Mystic by Clive in the Fan Gaming Rules here at the Nexus).

What Jason revealed is quoted below:
    Finally, the last class I want to talk about is the Oracle. This class is a spontaneous divine caster that is not devoted to any one god. Instead it is devoted to a particular concept or domain. The oracle draws his power from all the deities that support that concept, but none of them particularly hold any domain over him. A great example here would be Hercules, who would make a great oracle of strength. The class provides spontaneous divine casting, but the focus provides a host of other abilities and powers. You could expect feats of great might from the oracle of strength, while the oracle of fire is probably going to be able to roast you alive if you anger him. Think of the oracle more as an expert on a single topic and less as a seer of the future and you are close to the theme we are going for. I am really excited about what this class could do and the roleplaying options it presents. I might even have to give my current character a break to play an oracle as soon as the class is ready.
    For the whole 4 classes, you can read it HERE.

Any comments?

Best regards,

Felipe.
    "'Farewell, elfmaid,' he said softly. 'Your light will shine in this world. It is time for mine to darken. Don't grieve, dear one. Don't cry.' He held her close. 'The Forestmaster said to us, in Darken Wood, that we should not mourn those who have fulfilled their destiny. Mine is fulfilled.'"

We talked about this some in the other Pathfinder thread, so check out the comments there on the four classes.

But yes, the oracle sounds spot on for the mystic. It carries the same themes, and I bet it has enough differentiation to make it stand out from the cleric.

Props to Paizo!
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

The announcement of the Oracle actually annoys me. Because now I have to wait for it, and I'm too much of an impatient bastard.

I WANT IT NOW!!!!
    "A payment. My life will simply be a payment. But only when all are free... My fault."
    - The Prophet, as recorded from testimony in FyxZharar, 431 AD

All must prepare. The Prophet has entered the war.

Projects (Dragonlance, and Non-DL):
    "The Dying Towers of Ryst: An Achanian Tale"
    "Chef Nightly" (iOS/Android)
    The Adlatum Project - Sourcebook Available
    Art of Psycha Durmont

The announcement of the Oracle actually annoys me. Because now I have to wait for it, and I'm too much of an impatient bastard.

I WANT IT NOW!!!!
    I totally empathize with you, man! I can't wait either!

Still, we can hope for a preview and a playtest very soon (so the waiting wont' be as hard and/or as long as initially expected!)

Best regards,

Felipe.
    "'Farewell, elfmaid,' he said softly. 'Your light will shine in this world. It is time for mine to darken. Don't grieve, dear one. Don't cry.' He held her close. 'The Forestmaster said to us, in Darken Wood, that we should not mourn those who have fulfilled their destiny. Mine is fulfilled.'"

As we said in the other thread, one of Paizo's best qualities is their willingness to put out "beta's" of their ideas for the customer to playtest and give feedback on, I keep wondering if Wizards had done this would 4th have been different.

I'm looking forward to this class and the other things that are coming out in the Advanced Players Handbook though, and I gotta love Paizo's efforts.
    Long Live: Dragonlance

Quote Originally Posted by Roderrik_Turnkey View Post
    I keep wondering if Wizards had done this would 4th have been different.
    Nah. They just would had marketed it differently.
    "A payment. My life will simply be a payment. But only when all are free... My fault."
    - The Prophet, as recorded from testimony in FyxZharar, 431 AD

All must prepare. The Prophet has entered the war.

Projects (Dragonlance, and Non-DL):
    "The Dying Towers of Ryst: An Achanian Tale"
    "Chef Nightly" (iOS/Android)
    The Adlatum Project - Sourcebook Available
    Art of Psycha Durmont

This Advanced player guide is really really interesting for a PF Dragonlance.It has a cavalier and the oracle.But also has two classes like the alchemist and the summoner who are not very DL related but are also very interesting for another worlds and....well if you think about it a Gnome alchemist can be very interesting and the summoner can be interesting as a one-shot Renegade mage PC /NPC.

Just think of all the wonderful playtest advice we could offer if we started experimenting with a spontaniouse devine caster NOW
    Don't believe everything you think.

LOL, I do have to agree, and I'm taking a look at the core book and some of the builds that other people have put together for ideas atm, I know that when they start releasing playtest versions of the class I'm going to focus on the oracle quite a bit on their forums and in my games. (probably run a lot of fifth age materials in the PFRPG system so that people must play Sorc and Oracle)
    Long Live: Dragonlance

Waiting for the oracle (the starting premise sounds really fitting to me), I'd probably just grab the free 3.5e-pathfinder conversion document and run the mystic through it. Even if subbing the ToS Swashbuckler for the Mariner works out well, and the Oracle is a good fit for the mystic, we still have the Master that has really no equivalent, as well as tons of really neat prestige classes (that happily already seem to avoid dead levels and generally have neat capstone abilities, limiting your need to create something entirely new - always a good thing with conversions).

+ Reply to Thread