+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flying Citadels

Default Flying Citadels

Do we know how many flying citadels there were in the War of the Lance, what their fates were, and how many (if any) survived?

And why is it that we've not seen any since the Blue Lady's War?
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm
    Do we know how many flying citadels there were in the War of the Lance, what their fates were, and how many (if any) survived?
    I don't believe it is stated anywhere precisely how many flying citadels there were over the course of the war. Only three survived the WoTL (although a fourth was created and later destroyed), and of those only one survived the Blue Lady's War.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm
    And why is it that we've not seen any since the Blue Lady's War?
    Following the War of the Lance the only armies who possessed any citadels were the Black Dragonarmy and the Blue Dragonarmy. The Black Dragonarmy had two (Castle Ulgurmere) and an older citadel, both of which were destroyed in post-WoTL fighting. On top of this they also gained Castle Atriun, which was created after the WoTL, but was destroyed shortly after it's creation.

The Blue Dragonarmy had only a singular flying citadel following the WoTL, which was the only citadel to survive beyond the Blue Lady's War. It was given by Tasslehoff Burrfoot to the Aghar dwarf Rounce. Although Tas "parked the citadel" next to another castle somewhere in the realm of Solamnia, and it is believed that the Bulp clan just left the grounded citadel where it was and moved in.

Kargin el Tomath Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Uziel
    and it is believed that the Bulp clan just left the grounded citadel where it was and moved in.

Yeah....I bet their neighboors are pissed. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Uziel
    I don't believe it is stated anywhere precisely how many flying citadels there were over the course of the war. Only three survived the WoTL (although a fourth was created and later destroyed), and of those only one survived the Blue Lady's War.
    Hrmm. I also seem to recall in the SSI computer game Champions of Krynn, the champions were able to destroy a citadel (or 2).

If we take those stories as a part of continuity, well, all the citadels have been destroyed at this point. supposedly, in draconian measure, or doom brigade, Kang and his crew were working on repairs on a new citadel. their work kelp them out of the infighting in Neraka at the time. I can only assume that that citadel is new.

But there's also info about Taladas. there were some operational flying citadels operated by the gnomes in the great lava sea.

What about your idea for Ulin and the flying citadel idea you had?

Weldon
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 12-05-2006 at 11:13 AM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Quote Originally Posted by Kargin el Tomath
    Yeah....I bet their neighboors are pissed. LOL!
    I'd like to see their return. They are very interesting objects...Mina could create one, I bet. Maybe she could raise Castle Beloved?
    The future is unwritten.

Probably not consider part of continuity, but one of the citadel made its way into Ravenloft after the black dragonarmy highmaster went on a particular nasty bent after the end of the WotL. Just an interesting tibbit.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

Quote Originally Posted by Sephzero
    Probably not consider part of continuity, but one of the citadel made its way into Ravenloft after the black dragonarmy highmaster went on a particular nasty bent after the end of the WotL. Just an interesting tibbit.
    Interesting, and not continuity! haha, anything to do with the other worlds makes it not part of continuity I am sure.
    Kranar Drogin of the Red Robes
    Whitestone Council
    Nexus Editor for the Dragonlance Lexicon and Adlatum Project.
    Brooklyn Cemetery Clean-up Project
    Find me on Facebook. Make sure you tell me you are from the forums.

I'd imagine given all the issues with Dragonlance and Ravenloft to start with now. It was an amusing mobile domain, the lord could travel across the realms, but not set forth off the citadel.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

I don't understand why they keep telling that there's no connection to another planes in Krynn, and yet, you got the gray and Kellendros, you got Ravenloft and Soth, hell you even got Knights of Solamnia in Baldur's Gate 2 (which, for those who don,t know, is a computer game based on Forgotten Realms)
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and FURIOUS anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Chris Pierson for President!

Quote Originally Posted by Machin
    I don't understand why they keep telling that there's no connection to another planes in Krynn, and yet, you got the gray and Kellendros, you got Ravenloft and Soth, hell you even got Knights of Solamnia in Baldur's Gate 2 (which, for those who don,t know, is a computer game based on Forgotten Realms)
    Under the reins of TSR there was a push back in the early 90s for a lot of setting crossovers as a means of boosting the popularity of other series. The very concept of settings like Spelljammer and Ravenloft meant that they were designed to utilise material from other settings to a degree. As Dragonlance has long been the most popular novel line for TSR (and now WoTC/Hasbro), it has often been used in the past to help other lines.

The official standpoint these days however, is that there are no cross-setting ties. Ravenloft and Dragonlance are mutually exclusive, as is DL with any other setting. That is not to say that there are not connections to other planes in DL. In Dragonlance, we officially do have other elemental planes and so forth, as well as the Prime Material, but we no longer crossover "planes between settings".

Quote Originally Posted by Sephzero
    Black Dragonarmy Highmaster? Hmm... my recollection (albeit from a years back) is that it was listed as a Dragon Highlord named Kravon of the Red Dragonarmy. I do recall him being a nutter who went on a downward spiral following the death of his beloved red dragon. And ah... no, not considered part of continuity.

+ Reply to Thread