+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short Story, "The Legacy"

Default Short Story, "The Legacy"

I first read "The Legacy" in Second Generation, but since I'm reading The Magic of Krynn right now, I happened to glance ahead and read one of my favorite Dragonlance scenes; Raistlin's monolouge after Palin's test. But I couldn't help but wonder, when he says that "he had one more debt to pay", who did he owe it to? Obviously not to Caramon, the Conclave, or Dalamar, as he makes that pretty clear. I had one though, perhaps who owed the debt to the Staff of Magius, because it did sort of save his life at times (particularly in War of the Twins at the Tower of High Sorcery). Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by harthan
    I first read "The Legacy" in Second Generation, but since I'm reading The Magic of Krynn right now, I happened to glance ahead and read one of my favorite Dragonlance scenes; Raistlin's monolouge after Palin's test. But I couldn't help but wonder, when he says that "he had one more debt to pay", who did he owe it to? Obviously not to Caramon, the Conclave, or Dalamar, as he makes that pretty clear. I had one though, perhaps who owed the debt to the Staff of Magius, because it did sort of save his life at times (particularly in War of the Twins at the Tower of High Sorcery). Any thoughts?
    His last debt is to magic.

Margaret

Ah, I understand. One more question; if it was his "final debt" why did he return during the Chaos War and help the gods find the world? I find it hard to believe that Raistlin was motivated by nobility...Sturm or Tanis maybe, but definetly not Raistlin.
    The future is unwritten.

Ah, I understand. One more question; if it was his "final debt" why did he return during the Chaos War and help the gods find the world? I find it hard to believe that Raistlin was motivated by nobility...Sturm or Tanis maybe, but definetly not Raistlin.
    Raistlin would not continue on his soul's journey without Caramon.

Margaret

Yes, I know that much, but why bother going out of his way to help Palin in the Chaos War? He had no motivation to do so. Unless he wanted to see Caramon, which is still a really roundabout way of doing it. Obviously he has no more debts to pay, which along with ambition were his two motivators in life. I can see finding the world in order to get to Caramon, but not the Chaos War.
    The future is unwritten.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Darkness
    His last debt is to magic.

Margaret
    Wow, thats cool. I always took it as his last debt being to Paladine for peaceful sleep.
    The stars would fall from heaven and the gods would faint in horror if diplomats started speaking the truth- Sithel
    I've got better things to do tonight than die!-Springer
    "..before my time but Ive been told, you never come back from Copperhead Road"
    Currently reading: Transformers: Exodus

Yes, I know that much, but why bother going out of his way to help Palin in the Chaos War? He had no motivation to do so. Unless he wanted to see Caramon, which is still a really roundabout way of doing it. Obviously he has no more debts to pay, which along with ambition were his two motivators in life. I can see finding the world in order to get to Caramon, but not the Chaos War.
    One would assume that he was still repaying his debts during the Chaos war.
    Let me be the goblin. Pleeasssse Flint let me. GOBLIN!!! -Tas-

Phoenix Guest

If Chaos destroys the world, Raistlin ceases to exist. That'd bad for Raistlin, so Raistlin does everything in his power to stop this from happening.

Also, just becase he's evil doesn't mean he doesn't care.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 11-02-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    If Chaos destroys the world, Raistlin ceases to exist. That'd bad for Raistlin, so Raistlin does everything in his power to stop this from happening.

Also, just becase he's evil doesn't mean he doesn't care.
    Precisely. I think Raistlin does care, just a little. If you gave him the choice he would probably choose his own ambitions above everything else. But I do think he cared about Caramon and Palin just a little. ^^

Admit it, Raist. Deep down, somewhere in that black heart of yours, you're a big softy.

*gets smacked*
    Mage of the White Robes
    Currently reading: 'The Outstretched Shadow' by M. Lackey & J. Mallory

My Gallery: Click Here
    Wearer of Dragonhelm's Helm
    proof of purchase

If that's what you believe, I'll not dispute it. I agree Raistlin has sympathy for those who are like he was, but in general he's self-serving and ambitious. And that's why I love him
    The future is unwritten.

+ Reply to Thread