PDA

View Full Version : The Magic of Darklance

Dragonhelm
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm sure many of you are aware of my alternate take on the Chaos War with a project I did a few years back - War of the Dark Lance (http://www.dl3e.com/fan/rules/modules/11272.aspx). The basic premise is that this is a war where Chaos doesn't come, and dragonlances are being corrupted.

I've toyed around with the concept of this alternate reality some throughout the years, and I've often wondered what happens next. I have a lot of it mapped out, but one thing plagues me - magic.

The basic premise of what I'm thinking of is that High Sorcery and clerical magic don't disappear after the "Chaos War" (War of the Dark Lance). What I'm wanting to do with the timeline is have it sort of mirror the mainstream timeline to a degree, but with its own twists and turns.

So I have a way of introducing ambient magic into the setting. My problem lies in whether those who use it can survive or not.

Any thoughts on this?

Wagadodo
01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Ambient magic users, the survivablity of the Sorcerors with the Three Orders at Almost full power might be hard for them to pull. Though I think would handle as a secret Orders of Sorcery. They would Mirror the Three Orders in all aspect except that they would be in hiding and using each other for protection.

They could also set up an operation similiar to the Legion of Steel. Resistance cells where only one person only knows four other sorcers. They could readily pull together if needed for support but they don't know enough of the others to to do a lot of harm if the Orders come after them.

Last for survivabilty the would need a strong patron that they Orders would be afraid of taking on. If you have Raistlin type of character out that could use them... Then that would be one way that the orders would not come after them as quickly.

Brinebeast
01-18-2005, 05:20 PM
I am not familiar with the War of the Dark Lance but thought I would make a suggestion anyway.

What if something starts to corrupt all Focused magic and magic items created with focused magic. The corruption extends to all alignments and for some reason even the gods are powerless to stop the taint that is spreading throughout the bonds that connect deities and mortals. Due to the lack of stability of focused magic spellcasters find an alternative with ambient magic. Until Gods or Mortals can find a way to stop the spread of this taint people and items touched by godly power find their magic causeing more harm than good.

Examples of tainted spells. A fly spell sends its caster smashing into the ground or a wound spell turns back on its caster.
Example of tainted item. A unique dragonlance begins feeding upon the life force of those it slays and channeling it into its wielder in such a way that a normally Lawful Good knight becomes Lawful evil like the dragons he slayed. Or the Guantlit of Ventry stops leeching magic and starts channeling focused magic so that otherwise non-spell casters start casting spells and becasue its focused magic a whole lot a commoners find themselves casting spells with terrible results, even if they didn't mean to caste a spell.

Anyway just a thought and like I said I'm not familiar with The War of the Darklance so this may not fit.

Kai Lord
01-18-2005, 05:28 PM
You could have anyone who uses ambient magic effectively become an alienist (as far as game mechanics go), due to using Chaos touched or corrupted magic without the filter of the moons and gods of magic, but then take it one step further.

Have their magic always on the verge of being "not quite right," like giving them the Curse of the Magi but instead of exhausting them it causes unusual pseudonatural occurences, like temporarily giving them or others the pseudonatural template or adding unsettling appendages like tentacles or oversized limbs. They go too overboard and they risk becoming a Chaos Beast (from the Monster Manual).

I'm basically thinking Akira, with the Wizards of High Sorcery being the government sanctioned kids with the numbers on them and the freakish renegades being the Tetsuos of the bunch. Make the unchecked use of ambient magic a truly *bad* thing (which it really isn't under the current rules, no more so than any megalomaniacal black robe that is) and you'll also have that much greater a reason for those Renegade Hunters to be working so hard all the time.

Having ambient magic scary and gross would also add to the apprehension toward wizards in general. I have no idea if that's even remotely what you were looking for, but those are a few ideas. :)

Afflicted_Kender
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Ambient magic users, the survivablity of the Sorcerors with the Three Orders at Almost full power might be hard for them to pull.

Presumably the Dark Knights would seek to eliminate all magic-users outside the Knighthood of the Thorn; so the Orders of High Sorcery would be greatly weakened by the end of the war, and unable to impede the spread of the new magic.

Dragonhelm
01-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Mysticism, I think, will be the divine power of the fallen gods, Paladine and Takhisis (and Gilean?). They fall from power, and their divine might is available to mortals for use.

Wild Sorcery...I'm not certain about. I'm thinking it is there from day one, and that the WoHS controlled it until the WotDL, where the Thorn Knights used it to deadly effect.

Thoughts?

Green_Cloaked_Sorcerer
01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Mysticism, I think, will be the divine power of the fallen gods, Paladine and Takhisis (and Gilean?). They fall from power, and their divine might is available to mortals for use.

Wild Sorcery...I'm not certain about. I'm thinking it is there from day one, and that the WoHS controlled it until the WotDL, where the Thorn Knights used it to deadly effect.

Thoughts?

I really like this idea, Trampas how did they fall? Do you have short stories of this made up? Is this an adventure you have been running? where can we find more about this and are you possibly able to get licenceing to get a book line for this??

GCS

Dragonhelm
01-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I really like this idea, Trampas how did they fall?

Well, the War of the Dark Lance culminates with a battle with Takhisis herself as she's entering the world, using the power of the Greygem to warp reality. The Knights of Solamnia and Wizards of High Sorcery are defeated. The Knights of Takhisis have won, and realize all-too-late that evil does indeed turn upon itself, as the Dark Queen turns upon her own.

Krynn's last hope comes in the form of Steel Brightbade and a legion of followers he has assembled. Knights of Solamnia, Knights of Takhisis, wizards, clerics... This ragtag group, which history records as "Steel's Legion", stood against the Dark Queen. In one moment of sacrifice, Steel Brightblade saves the world by destroying the Greygem.

The chaotic forces that erupt from the Greygem tear Takhisis apart, splitting her into 5 separate dragons, each an aspect of the Queen of Darkness, each becoming its own separate entity. Meanwhile, the subconscious of the Dragonqueen remains, plotting to try to bring all 5 aspects of the Queen of Darkness together, so that Takhisis may one day be reborn.

Meanwhile, the High God casts judgment, that there shall be a Balance, and kaboom.

Do you have short stories of this made up? Is this an adventure you have been running? where can we find more about this and are you possibly able to get licenceing to get a book line for this??

As you can see, I've got some storylines in my head. They're not fully developed yet, and I'm not sure I want to develop them too much.

War of the Dark Lance is based on some games an old friend of mine ran, and then on some I ran. While I haven't actually run anything in Darklance for years, I have wanted to expand on this alternate campaign setting, even more than with WotDL.

I've got something in the works. It may just be a quick update, it may be something more. What it amounts to, though, is an alternate setting and lots of fun.

As for a book line - I wish! I doubt WotC would want to sink $$$ into an alternate timeline. I do hope that someday I can join the ranks of the esteemed authors who write for Dragonlance. Only time will tell, though.

Sallis the Silver Blaze
01-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey DH, are you going to update War of the Darklance into 3.5 DL any time soon? I really enjoy the story but a lot of the stuff is kind of antiquated now with the release of a lot of DL stuff.

BTW, kudos on the blowing up of Takhisis. I take it that Paladine just steps down then?

Dragonhelm
01-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey DH, are you going to update War of the Darklance into 3.5 DL any time soon? I really enjoy the story but a lot of the stuff is kind of antiquated now with the release of a lot of DL stuff.

I don't want to take down the rules for WotDL since those were written up by Rooks. It wouldn't be fair to him.

However, I am considering an update, focusing primarily on the alternate setting and moving it forward, while allowing the use of the 3.5 rules by Sovereign Press.

BTW, kudos on the blowing up of Takhisis. I take it that Paladine just steps down then?

Thanks! I think Paladine will either step down, or the High God will pass judgment that there shall be a Balance, and he and Gilean will have to take a hike.

Meixi
01-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Well IMO corrupting the Dragonlance should prove hard even for Takhisis, if one remembers, that they were powerful enough to nearly kill her in her dragon form......and how much pain they cause a chromatic dragon just carrying one in his claws.

How about just having a dark cleric create something similar with an evil magic (but taht would turn ut to be just an abyssal lance).... or find some way (e.g. a powerfull spell) to counter the lances' magic, so they loose their effect on chromatic dragons?

Imagine the surprise in the Solamnics eyes, when they realize that the dragonlance don't work any longer.....

Dragonhelm
01-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Well IMO corrupting the Dragonlance should prove hard even for Takhisis, if one remembers, that they were powerful enough to nearly kill her in her dragon form......and how much pain they cause a chromatic dragon just carrying one in his claws.

How about just having a dark cleric create something similar with an evil magic (but taht would turn ut to be just an abyssal lance).... or find some way (e.g. a powerfull spell) to counter the lances' magic, so they loose their effect on chromatic dragons?

Imagine the surprise in the Solamnics eyes, when they realize that the dragonlance don't work any longer.....

How darklances work is already established. The idea is that evil cannot create, only corrupt. Ergo, you have to have a dragonlance in order to corrupt it into a darklance.

Green_Cloaked_Sorcerer
01-19-2005, 11:40 AM
As for a book line - I wish! I doubt WotC would want to sink $$$ into an alternate timeline. I do hope that someday I can join the ranks of the esteemed authors who write for Dragonlance. Only time will tell, though.

Yea thats why i hope SP can eventually buy the licence back, it would open up a world of options. As for joining the ranks, I do too so I have decided to go back to college for it. But think about it all major stories now a days have alternate realities, from Star Trek to Star Wars Quantam Leap did I think, and there are a ton of others. Heck even DL already has one technically. Which brings me to my neck question, when Tas jumpped to the future the first time the it was all happy go lucky is that going to be the case at Caramon's funeral in WotDL?

GCS

Dragonhelm
01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Which brings me to my neck question, when Tas jumpped to the future the first time the it was all happy go lucky is that going to be the case at Caramon's funeral in WotDL?

I doubt you're going to see this scenario. For one thing, Darklance is all about the characters. The tales of the Heroes of the Lance effectively end with Legends. Also, Chaos doesn't come to DL in WotDL, so Tas wouldn't be under his foot right when he decided to travel through time to Caramon's funeral.

Green_Cloaked_Sorcerer
01-19-2005, 12:15 PM
I doubt you're going to see this scenario. For one thing, Darklance is all about the characters. The tales of the Heroes of the Lance effectively end with Legends. Also, Chaos doesn't come to DL in WotDL, so Tas wouldn't be under his foot right when he decided to travel through time to Caramon's funeral.

Right, thats what confused me did Tas use the device both times as he was about to get stepped on or was it the first time he got the device? i havn't read Legends yet though I should. And if he did use it the device as soon as he got it wouldn't that mean ur future would have to run into that? Except if it is a parrallel universe then i guess it wouldn't have to but would the histories of the world be the same?? hmm Just some random thoughts.

GCS

Dragonhelm
01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Right, thats what confused me did Tas use the device both times as he was about to get stepped on or was it the first time he got the device? i havn't read Legends yet though I should. And if he did use it the device as soon as he got it wouldn't that mean ur future would have to run into that? Except if it is a parrallel universe then i guess it wouldn't have to but would the histories of the world be the same?? hmm Just some random thoughts.

GCS

Darklance follows mainstream history to a point, the key part of that being the Chaos War. At that point, things diverge.

So the WotL is left untouched, although one could change it if they wanted to.