PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Dragons of the Highlord's Skies

ZILLA
08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I just thought that I would start a thread for what you guys would like to see happen in Volume 2 of the Lost Chronicles.

We know that it will center on Kitiara and Laurana. Kitiara's story will include how she met Lord Soth and recruited him and their exploits in the war. Laurana, Sturm, Flint, Tas, Derek Crownguard, and two other knights journey to Icewall to get the white dragon orb and the dragonlance! :eek:

Now I enjoyed Dragons of the Dwarven Depths but we all kind of agree that it just didn't meet the hype exactly. While it was a solid read and good to hear from our old friends again, it was kind of a dull exploit. I am not one to say that I need a lot of action, but some would have been nice to keep the story moving. Why didn't we see the ambush and capture of Gilthanis and Riverwind? Why everytime they fought a draconian the fight was over in a few sentences? I personally was expecting some sort of supernatural threat in Duncan's Tomb guarding the hammer. :( And why was that battle at the end so short! :mad:

I am not bashing Dwarven depths. I loved it. Just wish it would have urged me on a little more to read it.

Anyway back to Highlord's Skies. I want to see Lord Soth and Kitara FIGHTING in the War of the Lance. I don't want a book with the two of them talking for 100 pages about how they should ally. And from what I remember in Winter Night, the quest in Icewall was rife with peril and adventure. Hope Weis and Hickman remember that for next year. I'll be ready! :D

Anybody else have an opinion?

Longfoot
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
In my opinion, DoWN was the book in which things looked very bleak for the heroes. Winter being symbolic of death, it made sense that it appeared that evil just might win the day. I expect Highlord skies to go along that same theme, in which it looks as if there is little hope, as the companions are split up, and things aren't going well with the Knights.
Of the 3 chronicles, I liked DoWN the least of the three.
I thought that Dwarven depths was a great read. I put it at an 8 out of 10, but since i liked WN least out of the three, i may not like highlord skies as much.

Laurana's character was developed quite a bit in that book. I like Laurana after she grew up moreso than the spoiled naive elf that she was.

Just my 2 cents, tho.

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-15-2006, 03:39 PM
I loved DoDD. It was a great return to the War of the Lance for Weis and Hickman and I found it very exciting and interesting. I have no doubt Dragons of the Highlord Skies will be great, too. I loved DoWN, and I am excited to explore Icereach. A long wait till volume 2, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Palin~Majere
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't really understand the title. Skie wasn't a Highlord, Kitiara was. Care to explain?

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-15-2006, 03:47 PM
I think you merely misunderstood the title. The word skies is used as meaning 'the sky above us'. You know, the one with the clouds and that's blue. And since around the time the novel is covering, the Highlords (Kitiara and the like) had a lot of power on Ansalon. So basically, you could look at it as being 'Dragons of the Sky that is Controlled by the Evil Dragon Highlords'.

Heron
08-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Now I enjoyed Dragons of the Dwarven Depths but we all kind of agree that it just didn't meet the hype exactly.

No WE don't. Nothing worse than lumping people together.

As for my expectations, I expect it to have Soth and Kitiara in it. Everything else, surprise me.

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Well than I think you are going to be surprised Heron. I think I heard it on a podcast or something somewhere that there was going to be the story of Laurana and the others and their quest in Icewall.

Sephzero
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Weis confirmed that the the Icewall story of the Chronicles would be detailed in the Lost Chronicles book 2 in a prior thread way back.

ZiggyStardust
08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe you discussed this in the prior thread you are refering to, but isn't the journey to Icewall Castle completely covered by the "Finding the Faith" short story in The Magic of Krynn??? Although I liked that short story I still wanted to see it expanded on bc Icewall was such a big question mark for a reader going through the Chronicles trilogy. This leads me to my second question of, if they cover the events at Icewall in Lost Chronicles book 2, then will Finding the Faith be replaced as a lesser account of events or something?

Devildog
08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Maybe you discussed this in the prior thread you are refering to, but isn't the journey to Icewall Castle completely covered by the "Finding the Faith" short story in The Magic of Krynn??? Although I liked that short story I still wanted to see it expanded on bc Icewall was such a big question mark for a reader going through the Chronicles trilogy. This leads me to my second question of, if they cover the events at Icewall in Lost Chronicles book 2, then will Finding the Faith be replaced as a lesser account of events or something?

My god that is my exact thought. :eek: I only hope that this novel does not change the facts of Finding the Faith the way DoDD did to Gates of Thorbardin. I would hate to have another book that is no longer relevant to DL world.

cyberia
08-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I wanna see Lord Soth, and I want there to be enough of him to make up for his cameo in WoS (I was so disappointed in that).

Joey Brightblade
08-16-2006, 01:09 AM
I hope Highlord Skies touches upon Kitiara BECOMING a Dragon Highlord.

That said, I really didn't like Dwarven Depths that much so I am a little worried, as this one deals with one of my all time favorites, Kitiara Uth Matar...

*** Since I know someone will ask even though I've explained this before, the main reason I didn't like Dwarven Depths is that I simply couldn't get into it the way I have gotten into most other Dragonlance novels. I also disliked the way Tas, Tika, and Sturm were portrayed. ***

Chronicles: love'em
Legends: love'em
2nd Generation: loved it
Summer Flames: hate
War of Souls: like'em
Dark Disciple: love'em

Devildog
08-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Well I know you like Kitiara as much as I hate her. But I for one cant wait to find out how she became a Dragon Highlord. This is a Novel I have been waiting for a long time. I like you hope they cover this in the next Lost Chronicle.

Tinker
08-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I enoyed DoDD, but I agree that it was not Weiss & Hickman's best work. It sort of just dragged along for me. but then again, reading ANY novel set in the Fourth Age is a chore for me. I was upset to hear that Ms. Weiss will not finish Amber & Blood until she is done with Highlord Skies. :(

ZILLA
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
To Devildog:

I don't think it will cover Kitiara becoming a Dragon Highlord. Kitiara's rise in the ranks was covered mostly in Brothers in Arms. This lost Chronicle is going to be Kitiara during the events of Winter Night. So I don't think Kitiara JUST became a highlord for it to be covered. We know from Winter Night that Kitiara was chasing the companions out of Tarsis, or was that not her? :confused:

Kitiara was involved in the dream sequence in Silvanesti or was she just an image created by Tanis? :confused:

Hopefully these answers will be made clear now.

Devildog
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
To Devildog:

I don't think it will cover Kitiara becoming a Dragon Highlord. Kitiara's rise in the ranks was covered mostly in Brothers in Arms. This lost Chronicle is going to be Kitiara during the events of Winter Night. So I don't think Kitiara JUST became a highlord for it to be covered. We know from Winter Night that Kitiara was chasing the companions out of Tarsis, or was that not her? :confused:

Kitiara was involved in the dream sequence in Silvanesti or was she just an image created by Tanis? :confused:

Hopefully these answers will be made clear now.

You my friend are 100% correct. It was late and I was responding to Joey Brightblade.

It would more than likely cover her part of the war in Solomnia. Thanks for correcting me. :)

Red_Robed
08-16-2006, 07:08 PM
I hope Highlord Skies touches upon Kitiara BECOMING a Dragon Highlord.

Considering Kit's personality, I'd rather not read a book about how she slept her way up the ranks as much as she battled for it.

ZiggyStardust
08-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Dragons of Slutty Slumber?

Crown-Keeper
08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm anticipating a LOT of creepy stalker stuff from Soth POV.

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Dragons of Slutty Slumber?

That's not true. She's not all about that kind of stuff....ah who I am kidding lol! Seriously though, I think we are going to understand a little more about Kitiara in this volume!

LuckyIFoundThis
08-17-2006, 11:05 PM
No WE don't. Nothing worse than lumping people together.

As for my expectations, I expect it to have Soth and Kitiara in it. Everything else, surprise me.

Indeed, I loved Dwarven Depths, it focused on a character I thought as gravely overlooked, Flint. Im kinda dreading the Highlords Skies, because, I feel (like alot do about Raist) that Kit has been seen enough. Ive always felt she was WAY to one track minded:

Kit: "I'll shag him, gain a bit of power, then stab him in the back"

But maybe thats just me.

Devildog
08-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Kit: "I'll shag him, gain a bit of power, then stab him in the back"

I could not have put it better. :)

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Don't forget that there is going to be Laurana and company going to Icewall(or Icereach always forget) and killing Feal'Thas!

Tinker
08-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Don't forget that there is going to be Laurana and company going to Icewall(or Icereach always forget) and killing Feal'Thas!

That is going to be the main reason I purchase the book. The only book I liked Kitiara in was Darkness & Light. :)

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM
That is going to be the main reason I purchase the book. The only book I liked Kitiara in was Darkness & Light. :)

Me, too. I find the story of Laurana is going to be an exciting one because there seems to be more space to play with the story than in DoDD.