PDA

View Full Version : Working on

Canlocu
10-07-2004, 03:52 PM
I am in the middle of making a new web site. I have been collecting DL stuff for many years now (Over 200 books, ect) and thought I would make a reference web site for readers and gamers. It will cover, Art, Artist, Authors, books (Novels/gaming), creatures, Dragons, Games/ computer, Gods, History, Who's Who, Land, Languages, Magic, Nations, Races and other things like DC and new Comics, Miniatures, Puzzles, DL related books, box sets, boardgames and trading cards.
I have been wanting to do this for 10 years now but life get's in the way. I got time now so, what the Abyss, I'll do it.
It is not up yet looking for a host to keep it on, plus doing an over haul on it. Once it is up I would like input and "The readers" - You to help with things I should add. ;) I will keep you up to date when I get it rolling.

Lauralan
10-07-2004, 04:14 PM
That sounds like quite a handful! I wish you the best of luck with it. It will be a handy resource once you get it going.

As you know, there are already some sites with a great background of DL history, timelines, and characters, such as Uziel's site at http://www.dreadgazebo.com/astinus/despair.html, or the DL Ref Library at http://www.dl3e.com/reference/, etc. Most of these are very comprehensive and useful in the areas that they cover, but a lot of your ideas are not covered on these sites, and so it sounds like your site could be quite helpful too!

Anyway, best of luck!

Uziel
10-07-2004, 05:55 PM
As you know, there are already some sites with a great background of DL history, timelines, and characters, such as Uziel's site at http://www.dreadgazebo.com/astinus/despair.html

Lauralan: I've noticed this many times in the past. Whenever you quote my site, you always list the Age of Despair page, rather than the main page (which is simply www.dreadgazebo.com/astinus). That said, a few of the pages of my site (including the main page) is still down due to provider problems.

Canlocu: Best of luck with your DL resource. I've built my own resource purely from my love of DL and all on my own. It is a massive task, and something that I obviously do not do by halves or compromise (which anyone who has seen my site will appreciate). With such a massive setting it is a vast undertaking. You may get your naysayers about your site (I've had plenty over the years), but overall the peeps love any good resource about the setting. :)

Canlocu
10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Thank you! I have been to your site many times over the years, back in college till now. A great site and has come a long ways since the good old days. I have always want to make one cause there are not that many out there. It has been alot of work, but new programs make it easier than typing code :cool: I see now the most time I spend is on art for the site. But that is ok, gives me something to do besides playing games.... lol. Thx for being kind.

Uziel
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Thank you! I have been to your site many times over the years, back in college till now. A great site and has come a long ways since the good old days. I have always want to make one cause there are not that many out there.

lol. Actually there are quite literally hundreds of DL sites out there. There are three types of DL sites in my opinion however, not including official ones like this one here or WoTC's site.

(1) Those which present new perspectives/ideas about DL - ie. Raistland, Kencyclopedia, etc
(2) Informative resources in the gaming/novels arenas
(3) Hastily put together resources on common used themes in DL

Most of those which fall in the first two categories are brilliant sites. However there is not a vast amount of either type.

The vast majority of DL sites on the net tend to fall into the third category, and are little more than a few bits of information slapped together with some nice artwork, perhaps some forums and called a DL site. Now there is nothing wrong with these sites, as they serve to promote DL in the wider community. But I like to see something with more substance.

Even though my own site falls more into the second category than anything else, I'm of the opinion that those which reside in the first (Raistland, Tobril Magazine, Kencyclopedia) are far more valuable since they are bringing new things to the table for the setting. Anyway...that's my diatribe on DL sites for anyone who wanted to hear it.

DarkKnight921
10-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I myself am always looking for new, good DL sites. Good luck to u on your site. As of now, the only ones I know of that are worth a look are the DL Nexus and Uziels site. I suggest that we make a thread where people could post their website addresses. That would be pretty cool, no?

dalamar_thedark
10-07-2004, 10:54 PM
I myself am always looking for new, good DL sites. Good luck to u on your site. As of now, the only ones I know of that are worth a look are the DL Nexus and Uziels site. I suggest that we make a thread where people could post their website addresses. That would be pretty cool, no?

yep. i think there used to be a page dedicated to the DL webring. i think they have it. not sure tho. anyways u could join that.

DarkKnight921
10-07-2004, 10:57 PM
yep. i think there used to be a page dedicated to the DL webring. i think they have it. not sure tho. anyways u could join that.

Been there, done that. I didnt really like any of the sites. Raistland was pretty cool though. plus, a lot of the site were author sites, which are lacking in the DL info area.

dalamar_thedark
10-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Been there, done that. I didnt really like any of the sites. Raistland was pretty cool though. plus, a lot of the site were author sites, which are lacking in the DL info area.

lol. i tried those to.

sticko_69
10-08-2004, 02:57 AM
hail Uziel i know this may be asking a bit much but since i use you site alot to colect my info i dont have. i was hopeing you could maybe have some more of an atlas of Krynn on it and have it done by ages since towns die and catacalism happen. its just there is no totally informative map for any age this is the one thing i want santa i mean Uziel.

now that i got that stupid bit of homour out i would like to draw back to my request its very complicated i have tried but i believe someone who has more info than me can complet it.

thanks

Sticko the not so great as Prophacyks

Lauralan
10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Lauralan: I've noticed this many times in the past. Whenever you quote my site, you always list the Age of Despair page, rather than the main page (which is simply www.dreadgazebo.com/astinus). That said, a few of the pages of my site (including the main page) is still down due to provider problems.

Uziel: The reason for that is concious actually, because when I google your site, the website I am given is not the homepage, but it links directly to your Age of Starbirth timeline... I thought, although that is the beginning of the timeline, that most people googling you would be more likely to be looking for the Chronicles era, so I figured I would use the Age of Despair timeline link instead. This was all under the assumption that your homepage wasn't linking properly or was down for construction, since I couldn't find it! Even at your site, I couldn't find a "home" link. Anyway, hope that clears up confusion, but thatnks for the main homepage link, now it all becomes clear. ;-)

Uziel
10-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Sticko: Working on something along those lines already. Basically on working on a far more comprehensive geographical section for both Ansalon, Taladas and outlying isles, etc. I will also be including pre-Cataclysm areas also.

Lauralan: There is a link to the main page at the bottom of the index, (left-side of the page). It's always been there. That said, my site is down for a few more days.

dalamar_thedark
10-11-2004, 04:07 PM
hail Uziel i know this may be asking a bit much but since i use you site alot to colect my info i dont have. i was hopeing you could maybe have some more of an atlas of Krynn on it and have it done by ages since towns die and catacalism happen. its just there is no totally informative map for any age this is the one thing i want santa i mean Uziel.

now that i got that stupid bit of homour out i would like to draw back to my request its very complicated i have tried but i believe someone who has more info than me can complet it.

thanks

Sticko the not so great as Prophacyks

hail, sticko.

since when was prophacyks greater than you? And Uziel, glad to see your site back up again. *looks around frantically for prophacyks*

Lauralan
10-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Uziel: Ah, I guess it was the reference to 'the prime' that threw me off. Thanks for the blunt explanation.