PDA

View Full Version : Steel Brightblade

sari majere
05-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Im back from a very long break from Dragonlance. And I remember something that always troubled me. Steel dies and is buried in the Tomb of Last Heroes but in a book later it has him running down stairs and passing Palin I think it is. I dont know if it was a forgetful author who forgot he was dead but Im curios if anyone else noticed.

Kranar Drogin
05-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Im back from a very long break from Dragonlance. And I remember something that always troubled me. Steel dies and is buried in the Tomb of Last Heroes but in a book later it has him running down stairs and passing Palin I think it is. I dont know if it was a forgetful author who forgot he was dead but Im curios if anyone else noticed.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be Second Generation, but that was short stories that took place before the Chaos War.

sari majere
05-09-2006, 08:11 AM
alright I went to the attic and dug out my books and I found the one. I had even marked the pages. So its in the 5th Age The day of the tempest page 92. Palin kills Steel. Not a cousin like thing to do. And how does it even happen when hes already dead?

Ravenmantle
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
As I read it, this all happens very fast. Palin THINKS he sees Steel Brightblade when in fact all he sees is a Dark Knight with some features that remind Palin of Steel Brightblade. I would assume that at some point you see someone and for a moment mistakes that person for someone else. I believe that's what happened here. It all went very fast.

Ravenmantle

sari majere
05-09-2006, 08:44 AM
I dont know, why were the knights movements "clumsy and slow" unless he hesitated not wanting (deep down) to hurt him.

Kranar Drogin
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I dont know, why were the knights movements "clumsy and slow" unless he hesitated not wanting (deep down) to hurt him.

The movements were Palin's and that was because he had been stabbed by the Sivak earlier. He was becoming dillusional for the blood loss. Or if those are the knights movements, its cause he fell down the stairs....twice. I would be hurting.

iskoot
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I agree here...
I find that a Dragonlance author would make that kind of mistake...
So I'm going to have to agree with Ravenmantle and Kranar. And if you think about it just a wee bit... what they say makes sense.

sari majere
05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
I guess only the author knows for sure. Anyone know Jean Rabe's email? I dont know why they had to kill Steel. He had potential.

Raistlinrox
05-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking they did it so that father and son would have the same legacy. Both died with the highest honors, fighting for what they believed in, what they believed was right, even though they were on opposite sides of the coin.

sari majere
05-09-2006, 12:06 PM
I didnt mean to imply I didnt understand the depth of why he died but I was just hoping for him to be around longer before an honorable death. He was interesting almost like Tanis, brooding and tortured by his parentage.

Raistlinrox
05-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Well, Summer Flame was supposed to be the end of the Dragonlance line, so there wouldn't have been an opportunity for him later to have a noble, honorable death. But they still wanted him to be a tragic hero, dying honorably.

Joey Brightblade
05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
So if Dragons of Summer Flame was supposed to be the end of the Dragonlance line then it really was (originally) Fizban at the end - but then the decision was made to sell more books so it was switched to Takhisis posing as Fizban because she was stealing the world? (sigh) :confused:

Sephzero
05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Takhisis did not enter the picture of things until the foundation for the War of Souls was being set down in order to orchestrate a shift in the direction of DL from the current progression in the novel lines after DoSF. Till then, things in DL were still running off the assumptions that DoSF ending marked the conclusion of that particular chapter of DL into the new backdrop that was being presented.

Weldon Chen
05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
So if Dragons of Summer Flame was supposed to be the end of the Dragonlance line then it really was (originally) Fizban at the end - but then the decision was made to sell more books so it was switched to Takhisis posing as Fizban because she was stealing the world? (sigh) :confused:

it's a bit more complex than that.
1) DoSF was suppose to be a major shift for Dragonlance. Whether it was meant to end the line is still a hotly debated issue.
2) then the decision was made to sell more books so it was decided to "finish" the story with may different parts of the war.(chaos war series)
3) Then the idea was to get a new game system, and propel the world foward. (Dragons of a New age series)
4) fans are shellshocked by the changes, so a set of books bridging the gap and offering different paths were created. (bridges of time series and crossroads series)
5) still fractured, fans were given War of Souls trilogy to bring them all back together, by changing Fizban into Takhisis.(War of souls trilogy)

That's pretty much it.