PDA

View Full Version : Live from GenCon, it's Alcoholism Wow!

TheRedRobedWizard
08-18-2004, 07:55 PM
First off, Indy has the damned Worst. Roads. Ever.

Secondly, I am now happily sitting here at the beautious Holiday Inn Express on Keystone Avenue in Indianapolis, IN.

Got my four day pass and whatnot. Stood in line with a friend for 4 hours waiting to get his.

So far I've noticed four kinds of people at GenCon, and that was just from standing in line. There are two types of guys...the friendly not-so-weird ones, and the fat 40 year olds that reek of skunk-stuffed *** going on about how much fun they have with whatever nonsense game they're too old to play. There are also two types of chicks. There are of course the cute ones, which tend to have a bit of a darker looking gothy feel to them, and then there are the fat 40 year olds that reek of skunk stuffed *** that so very VERY obviously have a horrible case of crotch kobolds. Eeewww....crotch kobolds.
Haven't got a chance to see any of the Sovereign Press peoples yet, but all is good so far.

I am now off to drink myself retarded before the L5R World Championships tomorrow morning.

-TRRW

iltharanos
08-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Nice. Looks like I'll have to content myself with the WotL web enhancement (whenever that comes out) and stupid local dive bars.

*sigh*

talinthas
08-18-2004, 08:31 PM
see you guys tomorrow =)

Dragonhelm
08-18-2004, 09:11 PM
I'll be on the road tomorrow myself, arriving in the late afternoon.

Man oh man, has this been a week. With everything going on, I thought something would keep me from going, but it all worked out. Whew!

Raistlinrox
08-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Dragonhelm, is Lee's Summit anywhere near St Louis??

Dragonhelm
08-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Dragonhelm, is Lee's Summit anywhere near St Louis??

Nope, total opposite end of the state. Lee's Summit is a suburb of Kansas City.

therupert
08-19-2004, 10:52 AM
I lived in Lee's Summit for 22 years! I grew up there! Man I miss that city :(
Is there a chance we might know each other?

DaemonAngel
08-19-2004, 11:52 PM
I lived in Lee's Summit for 22 years! I grew up there! Man I miss that city :(
Is there a chance we might know each other?

I lived in Overland Park Kansas from 1993-2001. But the only thing I miss is my best friend and Johnson County Community College. But thats it.

dalamar_thedark
08-19-2004, 11:59 PM
I lived in Overland Park Kansas from 1993-2001. But the only thing I miss is my best friend and Johnson County Community College. But thats it.

I lived in Edmonton my whole life. Moving to other places sounds cool, but then not if you have lots of friends...

TheRedRobedWizard
08-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Day 1: Played in the L5R World Tourney. 5 wins, 4 losses. Meh, didn't make it to the next round. Damn.

Other than that, today was good. Met Margaret Weis today for the first time. Also Jamie Chambers. Neither of them looked anything like I thought they would.

I was sposta meet up with Cam Banks and Trampas today, but appearantly we (Me, Talinthas, and GCS) were chasing them around, always a step behind.

Met Peter Adkinson when we accidentally wandered into the VIP Room. That was bizarre.

Oh well. Day 1 is done. No one has died yet. Yet.

-TRRW

Rev_Jake
08-20-2004, 10:13 PM
well here i am at the internet booth at gencon!!!! let me say that both ToHS and WotL of AWESOME!!!!!!!!! but, no spoilers yet, wait till i get home.....

at anyrate for those of you who might be reading these posts while here im trying to organize a get together and meet and also go out for drinks tomorrow after the road show. i figure well meet outside of the road show. hope to see you there (other people waiting for access so i gotta cus it short!!

(Watch the language, Jake - DH).

Valharic
08-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey all, I'm home now but had a blast at GEN CON!!! Here's some highlights

Thursday we hit the showroom floor and I went straight to the SP booth and got the WotL and ToHS books. Met Tracy, Margret, and Jamie. A little later on I went to the Tracy Hickman seminar " ...How You Play the Game" It was only an hour long but was so much fun and informative. I wish it would have gone longer and believed it could have the room scheduling could have allowed it. On Thursday night we went to the Epic Level Party in costume. If any of you were there, I was the Red Robed Wizard. After that party we went to the Irish pub called Cladaag's. I think I spelled that right. Anyhow we met interesting people including the VP of sales and marketing for Bandai and a real magician that was amazing. Wearing the wizard robe was lots of fun, it's amazing, every one wanted to buy you a drink for wearing it. I didn't buy a single drink all night long.

Friday, after recovering from the hangover, we made it over to the True Dungeon. Four of us made it to the 2nd to last room but only one survived it. He died almost immediately in the last room. TD was a blast. I liked it even better than last years and that one was awesome also. After that we headed over to the Ram bar and grill and proceeded to game till 3am.

Saturday for me was spent visiting relatives who live in the area. But when I returned we went out for dinner at the Palamino. I highly recommend this place to eat if you get the chance. Afterwords we went to PT's Showclub, a strip club in the NW part of town. If your into that, this is prabably the best place in town. Needless to say we closed the club and spent a couple of $$ there ;)

Sunday we pack our things up and headed over to the showroom floor. Purused the booths and got some really nice miniatures and terrain building molds. If your a miniature painter, like I am, I would recommend checking out the Magnificent Ego line of miniature's. They seem to be an up and coming line and have some good quality mini's. At 4pm we headed out and drove home. We rolled in SW Minnesota about 5:30am this morning.

All-in-all GenCon was a blast and fun was had by all. Thanks SP for the WotL book. What I've read so far has been wonderful!!!! Peace Out :)