PDA

View Full Version : First annoying question, of many...

beardies221
08-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Well, I had a question here, of course :). Can we use Avatar's yet? if so, how can I put mine up? I noticed a few people do have them up, but those people are like mods and such, can regular average members put up Avatars yet?

Oh, and I figure this may as well be productive as well, so why don't we at least 'try' to put most of the questions about the new site here. If not, oh well....

Serena DarkMyst
08-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Same problem here man.....I wonder what's up with that...I want a cool picture too! :p

beardies221
08-12-2004, 06:57 PM
I figure I'll bring back my good old bearded dragon avy :). Back from the old forum days of mine...

Serena DarkMyst
08-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Im not too sure what Ill use when I can....Ive been itching to use a new one.....Perhaps something more directly DL related.

Cam Banks
08-12-2004, 08:35 PM
You should be able to upload your own custom avatar. Like mine!

Cheers,
Cam

snifferdoo
08-12-2004, 08:39 PM
You should be able to upload your own custom avatar. Like mine!

Cheers,
Cam

Well I should, but I can't. :) This is all I get:

----------
Your Current AvatarNo Avatar Specified Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.

[X]Do not use an avatar

Note: if you have a custom avatar selecting this option will delete it.
---------

The only selection for us regular users is "Do not use an avatar" and it is preselected. :)

Willim
08-12-2004, 08:39 PM
But how? My edit screen only tells me that no avatar is selected, not how to go about selecting one. :confused:

Of course, I am an idiot... :rolleyes:

snifferdoo
08-12-2004, 08:42 PM
There also seem to be a number of images missing as well all over the forums, like the online/offline images and number of posts images to mention a few.

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

beardies221
08-12-2004, 09:58 PM
I'VE GOT IT! We can just make everybody a mod! No? That won't work you say? Fine, we'll just wait until it gets fixed up :)

beardies221
08-12-2004, 10:02 PM
OOO! OOO! I have another question now! :) Is it the same number of posts to get the cool little nickname? Seeing how I have my very, very impressive 8 posts, I was wondering when I become an elder of swords again, will I have to wait another year? :(

DarkNuitari
08-12-2004, 10:37 PM
OOO! OOO! I have another question now! :) Is it the same number of posts to get the cool little nickname? Seeing how I have my very, very impressive 8 posts, I was wondering when I become an elder of swords again, will I have to wait another year? :(
LOL! I was wondering the same thing. I want to be special too and have the most posts, and lord it over everyone else! ^____^ *sees the accompanying glares*
Oh, I mean, I uh.... *runs*

About the avatars: I too want to put up my uber-cool avatar. Someone please fix it for us! I will love you forever (in a macho, manly way of course...)! *shifty eyes*

Dea ex Machina
08-12-2004, 10:52 PM
*looks at small post count* :(

You shall pay! One day you will see that I, the Kender Dea, will be the most powerful Black Robed Wizard in-oh hey! A locked pantry!

Damn my lack of concentration...

Drache_Schwert
08-12-2004, 11:10 PM
:) testing, do de do da bla bla :confused:

DarkNuitari
08-12-2004, 11:28 PM
:) testing, do de do da bla bla :confused:
Testing for what? Because I don't think the mods have allowed for avatars yet regardless... :confused:

DarkKnight921
08-12-2004, 11:59 PM
aahhh Beardie, Im glad u're on this board. You bring me amusement. hehe.

Yeah, like half the pictures on the forums dont work. Waz up with that? :confused:

Jamie
08-13-2004, 09:02 AM
We're checking into the technical side of things and we'll be tweaking the boards over the next few weeks. We hope to make lots of smilies, avatars, and other cool stuff available soon. Patience will be rewarded!

beardies221
08-13-2004, 04:06 PM
What about in-patience? Oh, yay, the online offline pics work now! Grr Dark, you're just lucky I have school, otherwise you would still be behind me. Oh well, I'll be content to know that I will always be the ruler of posts on the other board, mwahahaha! More than double anyone elses!

Arek Brimstone
08-13-2004, 04:09 PM
You should be able to upload your own custom avatar. Like mine!Sweet avatar Cam...you a fan of Jecht? Or do you just like the picture?

Cam Banks
08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Sweet avatar Cam...you a fan of Jecht? Or do you just like the picture?

It's a picture of Auron, actually - unless there's something that happens near the end of FFX that I don't know about.

Cheers,
Cam

beardies221
08-13-2004, 04:47 PM
WOOHOO! Got my avatar up, well, I had to search until I could find a small enough one, but I found it. You know you love it. Now, if I could only figure out an EASY way to find which posts are new...

Arek Brimstone
08-13-2004, 05:51 PM
It's a picture of Auron, actually - unless there's something that happens near the end of FFX that I don't know about.Nope...my bad, you're right. I don't think you ever get a really good look at Jecht...not even in flashback. I don't recall for sure though...it's been a while since I played...but Auron was definately my favorite in FFX. (can't believe I didn't remember his name right...) :cool:

beardies221
08-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I have another question :). What does it mean if someone has a little + next to their name when it says their online? It probably isn't anything, but I'm curious...

Willim
08-14-2004, 03:50 PM
What plus?

beardies221
08-14-2004, 04:20 PM
They have that symbol next to their name...

Novaximus
08-14-2004, 06:34 PM
I think the "+" Symbol marks the people whom you've chosen to put on your buddy list.

beardies221
08-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Ahh, yes, that wouls explain it. Thank you...again....

DarkKnight921
08-14-2004, 10:58 PM
a quarter for whoever could guess what my avatar is!!!! (sorry, Im bored)

beardies221
08-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Is it your pciture! Do I get a quarter! If I won the quarter (and only if I won) I'll give it to whoever can figure out my avatar, and what date the show it is featured in was created :). Well, fine, if you can just guess the date, oh, show debuted December 17th, 1989. Go Simpsons Junkies! Er, hope that didn't give away the answer...

DarkKnight921
08-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Homer, Dec 17, '89. I win!!!!

sticko_69
08-15-2004, 06:57 AM
okay my stupid question how do you get a moveing avatar
i wont a vegita too but that would be bad to steel that idea but how do you even get a moveing pic anyway

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 03:04 PM
All ya gotta do is find one and upload it....tis pretty simple.

Sothus
08-16-2004, 05:34 AM
okay my stupid question how do you get a moveing avatar
i wont a vegita too but that would be bad to steel that idea but how do you even get a moveing pic anyway
You probably used a jpg image for the avatar, am I wrong?
Moving images are gif images, in fact they are called "animated gif". You must search for one, I cannot tell you how to make one because drawing has always been the *least* interesting part of computers, for me...
(has it something to do that I'm a very bad drawer??? ;) )

Novaximus
08-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Sticko: I actually had a freind of mine make my avatar for me on another forum. Go here (http://www.dbzavatars.tk/) and click on the "How to make Avatar's" link from the scroll menu on the left.

or

Just Email MajinShadow and as ask if you could use one of his. He even invites people to ask. :) He wasn't the guy who made mine, but he seems like a nice enough person.

Serena DarkMyst
08-16-2004, 01:26 PM
I gotta get one with Mr Burns rubbing his palms together

beardies221
08-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Another Simpson's fan. Could it be? My lucky day, I've found someone else from NC and another Simpson's fan. I didn;t see any with burns, but I'm sure it's out there. I wanted one that had Bart as Bartman with a cape flapping behind him, but it was over the 10 bytes...

ReyBrujo
08-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Just a personal opinion. Being able to see one's and third's number of posts, and rewarding with a title the most posts one has, only increases thread hijacking and spam (in example, someone asks a question, and several reply "I don't know". Any reader needs to walk through all of them before knowing if the original question was answered or not). That is what off-topic forums are made for, and I don't see any here.

Just a personal opinion, I repeat. I just hope I haven't disturbed anyone. I am new in the forums basically because the DL mailing was clear and not spammed, so the rules here could be different :-)

Darlaten
08-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Just a personal opinion. Being able to see one's and third's number of posts, and rewarding with a title the most posts one has, only increases thread hijacking and spam (in example, someone asks a question, and several reply "I don't know". Any reader needs to walk through all of them before knowing if the original question was answered or not). That is what off-topic forums are made for, and I don't see any here.

Just a personal opinion, I repeat. I just hope I haven't disturbed anyone. I am new in the forums basically because the DL mailing was clear and not spammed, so the rules here could be different :-)

I agree with the above comments. Having now moved from RPG Consortium to the "old" forums and now these "new" forums, I've come to the opinion that post numbers along with titles are, at best, a distraction.

Often people will simply post comments that are completly irrevelant to the topic of conversation in order to up their posts. I think removing the posting number along with a title is the simplest and most effective way of stopping this and hopefully stopping annoying posts (e.g., Who is the One God? When is a Dragonlance movie coming? or What order should I read the books in? etc).

My recommendation would be to leave a "joining date" by the person's name. But then, that's just my opinion for whatever it's worth :)

--Darlaten

Sylvanas_Windrunner
08-21-2004, 01:30 AM
I agree with the above comments. Having now moved from RPG Consortium to the "old" forums and now these "new" forums, I've come to the opinion that post numbers along with titles are, at best, a distraction.

Often people will simply post comments that are completly irrevelant to the topic of conversation in order to up their posts. I think removing the posting number along with a title is the simplest and most effective way of stopping this and hopefully stopping annoying posts (e.g., Who is the One God? When is a Dragonlance movie coming? or What order should I read the books in? etc).

My recommendation would be to leave a "joining date" by the person's name. But then, that's just my opinion for whatever it's worth :)

--Darlaten
I find having sort of a 2nd topic to be quite ok as long as it does not drift into "thread Hijacking". we do not have a Off-Topic Forum so I feel a few side notes in posts ok.

as for the "annoying posts", A sticky usually helps. Heck, I have temp-banned people for repeat threads (only people who knew better), spamming, flaming, and other serious issues are a Warning and/or Ban in my book. I believe we need a sort of Offical Forum Rules sticky or link at the to of the Forums. But that is for the Mods/Admin. to justify/approve.

Leave Date? nah, a "banned" statement instead of a "member", often results from a Smiting. :)

Back on topic: Does anyone know any good 'Tar constructing Programs?

ReyBrujo
08-21-2004, 01:34 AM
I think removing the posting number along with a title is the simplest and most effective way of stopping this and hopefully stopping annoying posts (e.g., Who is the One God? When is a Dragonlance movie coming? or What order should I read the books in? etc).
Note that I was not focused on preventing these threads appearing, but instead preventing threads from losing their main focus (I declare myself a bad example, for using a thread about Avatars to talk about this :-/ ). I have no problem answering who the One God is (at least, until a FAQ is implemented somewhere ;-)), but I don't like checking a thread with 30 replies finding only a few ones answering the original subject (not that I am saying some replies are not worth, but instead some replies were made not thinking in the subject and focus of the thread).

That is what the forums where I came from did, and got very good results. The post number could be in each profile, just for ego' sake ;-) But not publicited.

There are some other matters besides spamming. People who just join would get an answer from a member with 14 posts and another answer from another member with 5000 posts, and would tend to believe the one with the biggest post count, maybe confusing quantity with quality. And for any newbie having their first experiences with boards, getting an answer like RTFM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM) from someone with 5000 posts might discourage further questions.

If you want an easy explanation for my behaviour, it is because of the dial-up ;-)

(Edited: Sorry! You answered before my post entered, so it seems I am hijacking the thread again!)

DarkKnight921
08-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Beardies created all of the word games and that helps keep spamming down a lot and it's a way to get peoples posts up, so thank Beardies that the people here never spam. (sorry if this has already been said, Im in sorta a hurry and haven't read everything.)