PDA

View Full Version : Newbies [players or DM's]ask questions here!

dark_demon_dalamar
08-16-2004, 05:03 AM
If ur a noob and have qusetions i figure u might as well ask ur questions in 1 place and that way u don't have ask the same questions over and over again so before posting look through questions 1st and between the combined exp. of those on this site your questions should be answered! God Luck and God Bless to all gamers! :)

TheRedRobedWizard
08-16-2004, 08:59 AM
With all apologies to the original poster, I offer up a translation from netspeak to English.

If you are a newcomer to the world of Dragonlance or roleplaying games in general; and have questions this is the place to ask them. This will simplify your search for answers. Good luck and God bless.

I think between the all of us, we can answer any questions that arrise.

Only one rule: Keep your answers brief. 10 page dissertations on the impact of Kitiara's choice of a blue dragon over a green or black dragon should be made into their own thread.

-TRRW

dark_demon_dalamar
08-16-2004, 10:52 AM
i agree with ur revision The Red Robe Wizard no need to apologies

Serena DarkMyst
08-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Coming soon to a bookstore near you...a dissertation on gnomish speak and its relation to netspeak :p

Just playin!

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Coming soon to a bookstore near you...a dissertation on gnomish speak and its relation to netspeak :p

Just playin!

I find gnomes easier to understand (and less painful to read) than netspeak.

Serena DarkMyst
08-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I do too.....but at least it wasnt \/\/|2|773|\| ||\| 1337.

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I do too.....but at least it wasnt \/\/|2|773|\| ||\| 1337.

What??? In some hellish nightmare of online does that actually mean something???

Serena DarkMyst
08-16-2004, 01:54 PM
It says "written in leet". Otherwise called elite...basically online gamer speak now.

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 01:55 PM
It says "written in leet". Otherwise called elite...basically online gamer speak now.

Well, now Im thankful not to be an elite online gamer (even moreso than I was a minute ago that is)

The Grimace
08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Ya, so I have a question for you guys. I've been running DL for a while, but there's one thing that really confuses me. How would you guys suggest running the Test. If you read the thread about a DM that has only one DL reader in his group, you'll see my predicament near the end. Anyway, I have had players who want to play wizards but its impossible to run it cause the DLCS and Age of Mortals does not give enough information, and that damn book hasn't come out yet. Any help?

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Ya, so I have a question for you guys. I've been running DL for a while, but there's one thing that really confuses me. How would you guys suggest running the Test. If you read the thread about a DM that has only one DL reader in his group, you'll see my predicament near the end. Anyway, I have had players who want to play wizards but its impossible to run it cause the DLCS and Age of Mortals does not give enough information, and that damn book hasn't come out yet. Any help?

I've only had to run The Test once (I've only had 2 wizards in my DL games, and one of them was way back when I was a rookie DM, the Player and I agreed to just say the test was done). What I did, though, was take notes on the character and behavior of the wizard. When he was ready to take the Test, rather than trying to follow some rule (such as the thing that says they must use each spell they know once...), I used the Test as an opportunity to reflect some of the characters questionable behavior back toward him, to give him an opportunity to reflect on the decisions he had made. And, although I started the Campaign as "good only", I gave him the opportunity to choose any alignment and any of the 3 robe types... basically a chance to decide whether to change some of his ways, go on the path he was travelling (which was pretty solidly "neutral"), or accept the darker tendancies he had shown and become fully evil, accepting the Black Robes (and an offer to be Apprentice to Dalamar himself).

One thing I will say though... if possible, set aside a private session for yourself and the character who is taking the Test. I tried to involve all of the group in the Wizards Test, and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth, and caused quite a bit of resentment that everyone elses story was being set aside for this one character.

The Grimace
08-16-2004, 08:37 PM
I appreciate all the help, and i do like the idea of giving the character multiple robe options during the session. I also never really got the whole 'use every spell you have' idea...just because it seemed excessive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Palin's test was entirely a test of character...i think it just depends on the PC.

One thing I will say though... if possible, set aside a private session for yourself and the character who is taking the Test. I tried to involve all of the group in the Wizards Test, and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth, and caused quite a bit of resentment that everyone elses story was being set aside for this one character.

This I actually don't agree with completely. See, the one time I did have the test, I made it a session where the party was mainly on the road for the most part, and didn't even tell the wizard that the test was going to happen. I had them be confronted by a messenger of some sorts, and the wizards (three total) went one way, with the rest of the group going another. I basically had them roll for initiative and had them go in that order. With the more fight oriented guys traveling and doing random encounters, and the Wizards going through the forest to the tower, etc, etc. This worked cause both groups got XP, whereas if you did the test as a single session, the wizards would have more XP then the fighters, making the fighters even more angry.

Another thing that I have a problem with concerning the test. My campaign is post War of Souls, Age of Mortals...what the hell do I do about the conclave and such. I know that as of right now its probably just Dalamar and Jenna...so I have no idea how to present the situation to my wizard(s). Would Dalamar have the resources at his disposal to contact those who have the potential to become Wizards of High Sorcery? And if so, how would he go about doing it? All help is appreciated. :)

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I appreciate all the help, and i do like the idea of giving the character multiple robe options during the session. I also never really got the whole 'use every spell you have' idea...just because it seemed excessive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Palin's test was entirely a test of character...i think it just depends on the PC.

This I actually don't agree with completely. See, the one time I did have the test, I made it a session where the party was mainly on the road for the most part, and didn't even tell the wizard that the test was going to happen. I had them be confronted by a messenger of some sorts, and the wizards (three total) went one way, with the rest of the group going another. I basically had them roll for initiative and had them go in that order. With the more fight oriented guys traveling and doing random encounters, and the Wizards going through the forest to the tower, etc, etc. This worked cause both groups got XP, whereas if you did the test as a single session, the wizards would have more XP then the fighters, making the fighters even more angry.

Another thing that I have a problem with concerning the test. My campaign is post War of Souls, Age of Mortals...what the hell do I do about the conclave and such. I know that as of right now its probably just Dalamar and Jenna...so I have no idea how to present the situation to my wizard(s). Would Dalamar have the resources at his disposal to contact those who have the potential to become Wizards of High Sorcery? And if so, how would he go about doing it? All help is appreciated. :)

Actually, there is also a head of the White Robes now also (depending on how long after the WoS your game is), a human woman/girl named Coryn. As far as how organized the Wizards are, thats really up to you.

In my game I had them not yet fully re-organized, and lacking in membership, and led by Dalamar (Wizards Conclave hadn't come out yet). If the Campaign had lasted long enough I was going to offer the Wizard in the group the opportunity to become the new head of the White Robes.

The Grimace
08-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Actually, there is also a head of the White Robes now also (depending on how long after the WoS your game is), a human woman/girl named Coryn. As far as how organized the Wizards are, thats really up to you.

In my game I had them not yet fully re-organized, and lacking in membership, and led by Dalamar (Wizards Conclave hadn't come out yet). If the Campaign had lasted long enough I was going to offer the Wizard in the group the opportunity to become the new head of the White Robes.
Thats a pretty neat idea, incorporating the character into the world...the only problem is that there is most likely a more powerful white robe out there, and that he/she (apparently a she) would be more likely up for it.

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Thats a pretty neat idea, incorporating the character into the world...the only problem is that there is most likely a more powerful white robe out there, and that he/she (apparently a she) would be more likely up for it.

Theres apparently *not*, if you read Wizards Conclave LOL

But yes... the idea behind him becoming the head of the White Robes was that Jenna & Dalamar would choose him believing they could more easily manipulate a less powerful mage. At higher levels, my players like to play power politics alongside their monster killing activities.

Kendermage
08-16-2004, 10:02 PM

It doesn't have to be that way. Frequently I would run character on side adventures that only they were privy to. I of course made certain to do the same for any player who desired a personal adventure. I find the side adventures to be extremely rewarding for characters. I cite as my example the Test Raistlin went through. His only witness was Caramon, and he didn't even have an active part. He was merely an observer. Raistlin always kept the details of his Test to himself, changing the subject whenever it was brought up. The same can be done with other characters. They may go through a harrowing adventure but have no desire to talk about it.

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 10:13 PM
It doesn't have to be that way. Frequently I would run character on side adventures that only they were privy to. I of course made certain to do the same for any player who desired a personal adventure. I find the side adventures to be extremely rewarding for characters. I cite as my example the Test Raistlin went through. His only witness was Caramon, and he didn't even have an active part. He was merely an observer. Raistlin always kept the details of his Test to himself, changing the subject whenever it was brought up. The same can be done with other characters. They may go through a harrowing adventure but have no desire to talk about it.

Exactly. Making the Test something private for the PC who takes it adds something to it.

It doesnt have to be done that way, but I wish I had.

The Grimace
08-17-2004, 07:14 PM
And I completely understand that...the only problem is that I feel like I'm screwing the rest of the party out of XP...it just doesn't seem right. On the other hand, I could always just give the rest of them a seperate adventure...meh.

WildKnight
08-17-2004, 07:21 PM
And I completely understand that...the only problem is that I feel like I'm screwing the rest of the party out of XP...it just doesn't seem right. On the other hand, I could always just give the rest of them a seperate adventure...meh.

Actually what I would do would be to simply not give the Wizard any XP, just run the session with him after he has enough XP to become 5th level, but hasnt leveled yet. The Test itself should be pretty rewarding for him, especially if he takes the PrC and gets a magic item and stuff.

The player who was running the Wizard in my last game said that he really enjoyed his Test, but would have liked it better if the other players hadnt been there to witness it. I worked it in though... the other players were involved with him in the Test, and he was given the option to sacrifice each in turn in order to continue (and he chose to sacrifice each and every one of them. what a nice guy!). After they were "killed" the other characters got to watch how he completed his Test without them... they never quite trusted him again. It was fun. And the really fun part was, each of the other players could perfectly recall every painful detail of the deaths he allowed them to die. But enough of my rambling...

Ardent Silver
06-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, reviving a dead thread... What's multiclassing?

Sephzero
06-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Multi-classing is when a PC chooses to switch from the current core class that they are gaining level with to take a different core class.

Example. A PC is a Fighter 3 and has reach enough Experience to go up another level. Instead of continuing his progress in Fighter, he chooses instead to take a level in Rogue. The PC is now a Fighter 3/Rogue 1 and has the total character level of 4 (3 from Fighter and 1 from Rogue).

The PHB 3.5 pages 59 to 60 has explaination how you handle adding the different abilities of the classes stack with each other. Also on how certain combination will effect the PC's experience point gains per level.

wannabe_mage
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Multi-classing can be great for creating some diversity in a character. However, one should note that all classes have a favored class. If the favored class is combined with another class multiclassing can be done without penalty, but if neither are that race's favored, multi-classing comes with an expense in xp.

Anthony Kane
06-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I have a good question with regards to multiclassing.

I know that according to 3.5 if you're character's class levels are more than 2 levels apart and one of those is not a favored class you suffer XP penalties.

My question is what about prestige classes. Originaly all prestige classes were 10 levels but now we have 3 level, 5 level, 7 level, 10 level and even *gasp* 13 level (void disciple) prestige classes.

What happens when you have a character who is going:

Wizard, Wizard of High Sorcery, and Archmage for example.
The first two are capable of staying withing 2 levels of eachother but the Archmage caps off at Level 5. In this case if you go 5/10/5 do you suffer XP penalties.

I personally don't feel as thought you should be penalized, because its not your characters fault that he can't remain withing 2 levels of each class. The class itself doesn't allow you to.

So that's my question.

-Anthony-

Sephzero
06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Prestige Classes do not count for multi-classing penalties. Only non-favored core classes are open to allow the XP penalization.

wannabe_mage
06-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure that taking levels in a PrC doesn't mean taking a penalty xp-wise. There might be other restrictions regarding multi-Prclassing, i.e. when taking levels in WoHS PrC, one is restricted to other PrCs and Core classes as well I think that increase the spellcasting ability of the character, if one whishes to advance further in the WoHS PrC afterwards.