PDA

View Full Version : How long is one feet...

Sylian
09-18-2004, 04:54 PM
How long is one feet in centimeters? How is the weightsystem? Since I come from Sweden I never learned about the American system, and the books are writen in that, so it would be nice to know.

papytofu
09-18-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm canadian so i had the same problem. In D&D term ( cause it's not the real conversion but for game issue it was better like that ) say that 10 feet is 3 meters.

Say it if you have other questions. I translate many D&D things in french

Yona
09-18-2004, 05:02 PM
One foot is 30.48 centimeters. An inch is 2.54 centimeters and there are 12 inces to the foot. A yeard is three feet, and for everything but precesion work, it's basically equal to a meter.

iltharanos
09-18-2004, 05:10 PM
How long is one feet in centimeters? How is the weightsystem? Since I come from Sweden I never learned about the American system, and the books are writen in that, so it would be nice to know.

Check out this series of articles on WotC's website.

Going Metric (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040316a)

Sylian
09-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Thank you for the answers. It really helped me I think. :)

Still don't like the system though.

ecliptic
09-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Well we don't like the metric system. :)

Yona
09-19-2004, 04:07 PM

...Must...Resist...Francophobe joke...

Esswer
09-19-2004, 04:51 PM

We don't like the english system. :eek:

Dragonhelm
09-19-2004, 04:58 PM
I remember being in school and being told that we had to learn the metric system, as we would eventually switch over altogether.

I haven't seen it yet. ;)

SweetMeats
09-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I work in feet & inches. Haven't found a reason to convert yet.

WildKnight
09-19-2004, 06:37 PM
We don't like the english system. :eek:

And more power to ya! Lucky for each of us, we generally only have to use our own systems. Personally, I suck at math and all things numerical, so I dont care which system you're using. D&D uses English, Star Wars uses Metric, either way Im counting squares.

dark_demon_dalamar
09-19-2004, 07:09 PM
i have to do everything in both but i should only have to do it in metric but i'm in advanced classes and my teachers suck

Cam Banks
09-19-2004, 10:56 PM
The United States stubbornly refuses to give up a lot of things - imperial measurements, archaic spelling, the accent they brought with them from England, the other side of the road, and pennies. Those of us who come from smaller, less significant nations got over most of that a while ago. ;)

Cheers,
Cam

person with the stuff
09-19-2004, 11:20 PM
the metric system is actualy verry simple

but i won't explain now im too lazy

WildKnight
09-20-2004, 06:33 AM
The United States stubbornly refuses to give up a lot of things - imperial measurements, archaic spelling, the accent they brought with them from England, the other side of the road, and pennies. Those of us who come from smaller, less significant nations got over most of that a while ago. ;)

Cheers,
Cam

We must be doing something right... I recently read a study where almost all of the people living under the poverty line have one or more color televisions, and more than half have cable. The average American "poor" person has as much living space as a middle class person in London, Paris, or Rome. Theres alot more but I think you get the idea. Maybe its all those silly pennies floating around.

Accent? I think not. Americans all have our own, regional accents, and none of them sound anything like English accents... in fact I cant understand half of what comes out of a British persons mouth (and while we're at it, a fair percentage of us aren't English at all... I for one am German, Scottish, and Irish... two thirds of me is pretty well offended at being lumped in with the English oppressors.)

Daven
09-20-2004, 06:34 AM
I am Italian, we use metric system, the house that had tranlated D&D used 1,5 m instead of 2 m for the basic square, and so have done the spanish and french and german official translator house.
It is strange that Skip Williams don't know how the other nations companies work with their product...
However for the ambivalence for metric-english system i can say that for scienticists as me, the metric system is better because it represent the decimal mathematical system for the measurement. The english system is good for tradition and it works good, but it has a big problem: it has a table for converting measure-units. In metric system this problem doesn't exixt.
But in games, there are not so big problems...

(Sorry for my bad english!)

Cam Banks
09-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Accent? I think not. Americans all have our own, regional accents, and none of them sound anything like English accents... in fact I cant understand half of what comes out of a British persons mouth (and while we're at it, a fair percentage of us aren't English at all... I for one am German, Scottish, and Irish... two thirds of me is pretty well offended at being lumped in with the English oppressors.)

The accent at the turn of the 17th century in England was very similar to that affected by the East Coast of the US today. If we went back in time to London in the 1600's we'd be surprised to hear them talk more like Americans than what we now understand to be "British".

The more Midwest you go, the more you pick up the nuances of the other immigrant peoples such as the Norwegians, Germans, and Irish. Accents are a funny thing, but the generic American accent adopted by newscasters (which I believe is the "Nebraska accent") is more old than new.

Cheers,
Cam

WildKnight
09-20-2004, 07:21 AM
The accent at the turn of the 17th century in England was very similar to that affected by the East Coast of the US today. If we went back in time to London in the 1600's we'd be surprised to hear them talk more like Americans than what we now understand to be "British".

The more Midwest you go, the more you pick up the nuances of the other immigrant peoples such as the Norwegians, Germans, and Irish. Accents are a funny thing, but the generic American accent adopted by newscasters (which I believe is the "Nebraska accent") is more old than new.

Cheers,
Cam

Hrmm... I guess I'll buy that first part about East Coasters... Im from the midwest and of course, by my own standards, have no accent. They actually send budding newscasters here to "get rid of their accent" so that they can be on national television.

Willim
09-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I've read somewhere that, thanks to mass media, 80% of Americans (and a growing number of Canadians) sound alike, with no discernable difference in accent. We all sound like Midwesterners.

WildKnight
09-20-2004, 04:39 PM
I've read somewhere that, thanks to mass media, 80% of Americans (and a growing number of Canadians) sound alike, with no discernable difference in accent. We all sound like Midwesterners.

Heh... now thats interesting. I havent heard that but it certainly makes sense.

On a pseudo-not-at-all-really-related note... has anyone ever actually used various "accents" to denote regional dialects in their games? I certainly do with my homebrew setting, and for my Dragonlance game I was toying with giving each region its own accents and slang. Although Im not remotely a linguist, I found it an amusing exercise.

Shugi
09-20-2004, 06:58 PM
The strange thought of Irish minotaurs just came to mind.

WildKnight
09-20-2004, 08:02 PM
The strange thought of Irish minotaurs just came to mind.

Why not? Dwarves are constantly being portrayed as having Scottish accents (not so much in Dragonlance, mind you)

Dragonhelm
09-20-2004, 08:41 PM

I would tend to disagree. In my line of work, I speak to people from across the nation and Canada. While there are some similarities at times, there is still definitely a difference.

That being said, though, this subject hasn't been about Dragonlance in a long time, so time to hit the switch. It's a few meters this way...

*click*

(WildKnight - Start a new subject on regional accents!)