PDA

View Full Version : Patheons in the other races

OldschoolDL
09-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Ok im in sorta a dilema here. Now its obvious that all the gods are either represented in all the races, or they are acknowledged and not worshipped by the other races other than humans.

Now Dwarves traditionally in AD&D were Warlike to the point of not squimish in slaughting a settlement of Goblins if they threaten their living space. Krynnish Dwarves at least most of the Mountain dwarven clans and im sure the hill still retain this feature. So... Can we assume that the Dwarves have Kiri-Jolith or even Sargonnas for the evil ones as Gods of War in the Dwarven Culture?

As humans and Elves would see Paladine and Takhisis as the King and Queen of the Gods of Good & Evil. And the Dwarves perhaps see Reorx as the Greatest god in their philosophy, where does the other gods line up in the Pantheon?

We know from the Novels they believe in the other gods, Paladine is Thak, Takhisis is the False Metal. but are they considered either lower or side deities compared to almighty Reorx and perhaps just under Shinare the "God" of Industry, Merchants etc (Since the dwarves mostly see Shinare as male)

Do all the Races believe in all the Gods and what is the Sliding scale as who is the Premier Deity and what roles do the rest function?

Reason why I was wondering, is because in my game I have Battleragers in the Dwarven clans who are of course the Homicidal Genocidal Suicidal shock troops of the Dwarven army, They are that way through a deeply Religious belief. Their belief in a God of War. Well, It can't quite be Reorx because he is the God of Creation, it can't be Shinare unless we are talking about War Profits.. is Kiri-Jolith seen as the God of War amongst Dwarves, and if so is it still only Good clerics worship them (Meaning the majority of the Dwarven race being neutral, would need members to turn to good in order to receive power) Or is religious alignment more flexible then that (question stemming from during DoSF Tas related the story of the Kender who became a cleric of morgion and gave everyone colds)

wannabe_mage
09-17-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't know how the dwarves view the other gods, but IMO if one believes in a god who's a member of a larger pantheon, one is forced to believe or at least acknowledge the existence of other gods.

Sephzero
09-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Kiri-Jolith is known as Kijo the Blade by Thorbardin it is also can be noted that Kiri does have the protfolio for War. Sargonnas is known as Sargonx the Bender so they are both noted by the Mountain Dwarves at least. Probably below Reorx in importance. Kiri and Sargonnas are open to LN clerics, which still allows for dwarves to mantain their neutrality if you wish to shy away from the good aspects.

Yona
09-17-2004, 02:25 PM
...Except for Zebiom, whom the dwarves don't know exist.

Sephzero
09-17-2004, 02:26 PM
I chalk that up to an issue between them an almost any large bodies of water that they seem to come across. The two just don't come into contact that often or very well either.

OldschoolDL
09-17-2004, 02:28 PM

Well there goes my most favorite enemy character I created ages ago...

Hugo Stormbringer my "Clan-reft" Hylar Dwarven Cleric/Fighter of Zeboim
With a Staff of storms that can summon a tempest, and his Hammer of Thunderbolts.
He was one Bad Mutha!!!

Kendermage
09-17-2004, 05:05 PM

Actually I must disagree here. In Heroes of Hope it gives the dwarven name for Zeboim as Bhezomiax. Thus the dwarves must have some knowledge of her, this of course goes with the assumption that in the later fourth age when clerics returned that clerics would have knowledge of other pantheons even those not worshipped or acknowledged by their race.

Dragonhelm
09-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I would highly recommend picking up Holy Orders of the Stars when it comes out. Many of the answers you're looking for are likely to be in there.

I want to say it'll come out around March 2005, but don't quote me.

Morgion
09-18-2004, 06:56 PM
I hope soooooooooooooooo much that it come out in March (if not sooner). That would be excellent.

Nightweasel
09-18-2004, 07:35 PM
One way might be to look at it this way. Look at football teams, or any sports team for that matter. You have the league, all people will aknowledge all teams on that league. They may not like all the teams, may despise some of those teams, but they are in the league nonetheless. People will choose their "favorite" team based on several factors, but ultimately which ever one appeals to them the most. As for races, they're main god is probably the one that gives them the most attention. Dwarves go with Reorx, Minotuars with Sargas and KiriJolith. Though she's not the most worshipped, perhaps the most acknowledged of the sea elves in Zeboim followed by Habbakuk.