PDA

View Full Version : possibly another forum?

Serena DarkMyst
09-17-2004, 02:31 AM
I was wondering if the fine people who control the boards would consider making one more forum here dedicated to the games that are played currently in the World of Krynn forum. It just would be more convenient to be able to see what was really a post dealing with information on the WoK forum, rather than a game. Here....a pithy title for it too! Games Kender Play....isnt that fun?

Ravenmantle
09-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Hear hear Serena! There a lot of games going on and they deserve their own space...plus IŽd rather have the WoK forum dedicated to info than games...

Ravenmantle

Nightweasel
09-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Same here.

dark_demon_dalamar
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
I think maybe after a few more games come then get a new forums

Serena DarkMyst
09-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I think maybe after a few more games come then get a new forums

There are enough games in as it is to warrant a forum in my opinion...It kinda clogs up the top of the board when one wants to just look for info. A game playing forum on these boards would make a great home for the games already there, and probably encourage more from people. As it is I can think of at least six other games that havent had anything similar done here yet.

Valharic
09-17-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm all for that. To many games hogging the top, and not seeing any info on Krynish lore.

Dragonhelm
09-17-2004, 04:07 PM
There have been a lot of games lately. A bit more than what I care for, really.

If I were to open a new forum, then I would have to have a moderator that could look over that forum and make sure everyone plays nice. This brings resources into question.

I also think it opens up a dangerous precedent. Do I open up a new forum every time there's a series of like-minded threads?

I really feel like the games are spam, and that they don't contribute anything to the discussion of the world of Krynn. I can see that it's causing forum disruption.

For the most part, discussion of Dragonlance can fall under either gaming or novels. Yet there are some things that don't fall under either. For example, the organization of the Knights of Takhisis is something that doesn't fully fall under novels or games. So that's where World of Krynn comes in.

I'm going to stick this thread, and open it up for a bit of discussion. Let's hear what you guys have to say, and then I'll make a decision on the best course of action.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the suggestions.

wannabe_mage
09-17-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm going to stick this thread, and open it up for a bit of discussion. Let's hear what you guys have to say, and then I'll make a decision on the best course of action.
That seems to be a good idea. Although I myself have and still do participate in these games, I'm pro new fourm. As it has already been mentioned a couple of times, the forum World of Krynn often seems to be a playground and the off topic forum of this board. I don't mean to critizise anyone in particular as I myself have contributed to the evolution of this forum.
My point in short. Create a gaming/off topic forum. And use this forum in the future for everything that the other topics can't hold.

Serena DarkMyst
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Id kind of like to clarify, I felt that by opening a forum simply for the games that have been up there would be the course of action that kept all happy. I felt that if the games were closed off, that those who really enjoyed them would be ticked at the loss of their fun. (I am known to enjoy a trivia question from the games from time to time after all....it keeps me flipping through my materials). I also felt that if the games were to continue to clog up the threads of information in the WoK forum, that those who wanted no part of the games would eventually tire of it and not go there anymore....

I truly think that a new forum would be the best course of action, and likely please everyone in the long run.

beardies221
09-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Hehe, I suppose I can do nothing but concur, considering I have started about 90% of these games. But dragonhelm, well, I guess I can't remedy it now, but I won't make any new games... Unless there is a new forum, then of course the hamster will have to start running the wheel up in the brain again :). I was going to say that if you had told me I wouldn't have posted so many games, but I guess I did throw them all on in one night.

But, I'm done with my rant. I'm not sure if I helped or hurt the cause for a new forum for the games, but I think it should be done...

Hehe, just me agreeing with this may be hurting the cause, but oh well. Anyways, I'm done...

DarkNuitari
09-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Hehe, I suppose I can do nothing but concur, considering I have started about 90% of these games. But dragonhelm, well, I guess I can't remedy it now, but I won't make any new games... Unless there is a new forum, then of course the hamster will have to start running the wheel up in the brain again :). I was going to say that if you had told me I wouldn't have posted so many games, but I guess I did throw them all on in one night.

But, I'm done with my rant. I'm not sure if I helped or hurt the cause for a new forum for the games, but I think it should be done...

Hehe, just me agreeing with this may be hurting the cause, but oh well. Anyways, I'm done...
Yah, that's right beardies, blame it all on yourself. :rolleyes: You're so selfish sometimes..

As for the new forum debate, I think it's a bad idea. We don't need a new forum, just get rid of all the stupid games. Honestly, I was done at the I Spy, Trivia, and Alphabet games. The rest can all go to the chickens for all I care, personally. I mean, some neanderthal got the idea that it was okay and "cool" to start new games, so they've been popping up like reality tv shows ever since.
You know what, the games are to the DragonLance Forums as reality shows are to television. A rash that spreads too fast too far when it's left unchecked. Anyways, that's all I have to say on thaty subject.

beardies221
09-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Oh, come now really dark. You have played the games as much or mroe then the rest of us... But, whatever.

Maybe you're done with them. I truthfully don't play all that much anymore. And, if they died I wouldn't care much. But I think they should stay. People seem to enjoy them, as long as they aren't clogging anything else...

DarkNuitari
09-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Oh, come now really dark. You have played the games as much or mroe then the rest of us... But, whatever.

Maybe you're done with them. I truthfully don't play all that much anymore. And, if they died I wouldn't care much. But I think they should stay. People seem to enjoy them, as long as they aren't clogging anything else...
*sigh* Yeah, I suppose your right. I wouldn't want to sound hypocritical or anything... But if it really does amuse the young ones, I suppose they should stay... but that doesn't mean they deserve their own forums.

beardies221
09-17-2004, 06:24 PM
It's not a point of deserving them as it is needing them. See, it amuses the young ones (like me) but seems to greatly annoy the elders, and mods. So, everyone could be happy, we could have some place to go and play our stupid games and go off topic, and the good boards could remain spamless. Hehe, I think it would be entertaining ifd you guys could make it so that when people posted on these forums they didn't get anything added to their post count. Doing that could possibly kill the games all together :). I would still play, but many may not. I don't suggest doing that, it would just be entertaining to do...

So anyways, yes, I am pro gaming/off topic (?) boards.

DarkNuitari
09-17-2004, 06:30 PM
It's not a point of deserving them as it is needing them. See, it amuses the young ones (like me) but seems to greatly annoy the elders, and mods. So, everyone could be happy, we could have some place to go and play our stupid games and go off topic, and the good boards could remain spamless. Hehe, I think it would be entertaining ifd you guys could make it so that when people posted on these forums they didn't get anything added to their post count. Doing that could possibly kill the games all together :). I would still play, but many may not. I don't suggest doing that, it would just be entertaining to do...

So anyways, yes, I am pro gaming/off topic (?) boards.
I like the idea of the no post-counting. That way, a certain Dalamar (or two) would lose their goal in life... *evil smile* And when you say it that way, I do admit your argument has merit. Maybe they do need their own Forum to continute their little community, otherwise we might lose alot of members because of the absence of off-topicness...

JOSHUASIGEP44
09-17-2004, 06:31 PM
There have been a lot of games lately. A bit more than what I care for, really.

If I were to open a new forum, then I would have to have a moderator that could look over that forum and make sure everyone plays nice. This brings resources into question.

I also think it opens up a dangerous precedent. Do I open up a new forum every time there's a series of like-minded threads?

I really feel like the games are spam, and that they don't contribute anything to the discussion of the world of Krynn. I can see that it's causing forum disruption.

For the most part, discussion of Dragonlance can fall under either gaming or novels. Yet there are some things that don't fall under either. For example, the organization of the Knights of Takhisis is something that doesn't fully fall under novels or games. So that's where World of Krynn comes in.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the suggestions.

Trampas, I going to e-mail you my thoughts about all this. So check your e-mail shortly

beardies221
09-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Woohoo, one memeber to my side, 400 more to go!

A question for the mods, is it actually possible to not allow post counting in just one sub-forum?

Dragonhelm
09-17-2004, 09:09 PM
A question for the mods, is it actually possible to not allow post counting in just one sub-forum?

I think it's all or nothing. I'm looking into a way to turn the post counts off, personally. I've found from WotC's boards that it tends to cause problems.

Do me a favor, guys, and cut down on the games. Maybe at the most have one game going, but it has been a bit much.

I'll think this over a bit more and get back to you guys.

beardies221
09-17-2004, 09:22 PM
All of mine are long dead anyways...

Novaximus
09-17-2004, 11:29 PM
People seem to enjoy them, as long as they aren't clogging anything else...

Really? I think I'd like a recount. I beleive that while the game threads get a lot of hits, these hits are only made by a small hand full of people.

Suggestion 1

Idea: It would seem daft to make an offical rule speaking out against misc. game threads. Instead I would treat it like any other redundancy and lock up the execess.

Drawbacks: We would hear an earful from people whenever a thread gets locked since it's a judgement call that's not ironclad. I could say, "Well this thread is LIKE such and such thread, therefore it's getting locked" However, there will always be a slight difference in threads to qualify it as being original. Does anyone see what I am getting at?

Suggestion 2

Idea: If you want an alternative that's more black and white then I'd say go with a time limit of sorts on each game. I'd set it up like this . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Game Threads
Will be auto locked when 100 posts have been reached

Duplicate & Locked games may not be allowed to resurface until at least a period of 1 month passes

No more then 3 gaming threads may co-exist at any given time

To create a new game thread, you must wait until a previous game thread runs its course

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drawbacks: Of course the downfall to this system (while workable) is that it would probably be just too much for the majority to follow and understand, especially with newcommers.

I've made this suggestion years ago on the consortium because it was just as much a problem then as it is here, today. DL trivia for example (while in the form of different threads and sites) has been a constant topic non stop for as long as I can remember.

This is the down side to moderation that the general members don't understand. Sometimes when a thread gets locked there are several reasons for it that most just don't get and would take too much effort to constantly explain time and again. I couldn't imagine having to go through this exact spiel every time a game thread was locked and a member asks, "Why?".

**** IF everyone became good samaritans and did the right thing by cooling down with some of these gaming threads for awhile, then maybe action might not be needed. If anyone hears anything I've said in this post I wish this last paragraph to be taken the most serious. ****

beardies221
09-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Hehem being I guess sort of like the leader of this gaming "fad" I would like to apologize, and you all an lock my two original games, the Alphabet and Funky Letters one, although I think I Spy and Trivia have more ptential, althought they both have sort of died.

And I vow that, at least for a good while I won't post any new games, and will try to refrain from posting in them period.

Hehe, I suppose this basically solves the problem doesn't it? Alrighty, good night...

dalamar_thedark
09-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Hehem being I guess sort of like the leader of this gaming "fad" I would like to apologize, and you all an lock my two original games, the Alphabet and Funky Letters one, although I think I Spy and Trivia have more ptential, althought they both have sort of died.

And I vow that, at least for a good while I won't post any new games, and will try to refrain from posting in them period.

Hehe, I suppose this basically solves the problem doesn't it? Alrighty, good night...

you're gonna vow? too bad, i'm not going to. And you're actually offering to lock those games!? (ehehe....i actually enjoyed those while they lasted)

beardies221
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Thats fine, I'm just doing it for the sake of the forums to the poor mods don't have to bother doing all those things Nova said...

dalamar_thedark
09-17-2004, 11:48 PM
aw, you have a heart of gold, beardies! and...hm...if my games cause any trouble then MODS please let me know

Novaximus
09-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Beardies, that's very noble of you, but don't be so hard on yourself. You're gaming threads are very creative and fun. There's nothing wrong with it other then the over abundance of it. Besides, it's not like you're the only one who posts in them ;)

Novaximus
09-18-2004, 12:06 AM
aw, you have a heart of gold, beardies! and...hm...if my games cause any trouble then MODS please let me know

Dal the Dark, it would be unfair to single you're games out. A little here and there adds up.

beardies221
09-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Yea, but I really have to feel responsible for it. I mean, before I came along (this is other boards, where all of this was started) there were two games. There was the Trivia and I spy, both good games. I decided the Alphabet and Funky Letter games might be fun, although they turned into post-uping games to fast. And despite popular belief, thats not what their purpose was. But, as soon as they had come, slowly others came. Now we have something like 10 circulating...

dalamar_thedark
09-18-2004, 12:07 AM
As I said, I usually post in them, and you post in them (beardies) and DarkNuitari and triple-D post in them, along with tons of others!

Dragonhelm
09-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Okay, guys, I've given this some thought, and have made a decision.

If I were to create a new forum, it would be for a small percentage of board members. This would set up a bad precedent, for one, and require that I divide the attentions of our already hard-working mods even further. I really can't add any more mods, either.

I took a look around, and saw 5 game threads. Looking at them, I didn't see where they really added a lot to discussion, so I've closed them. Really, the boards are here for the continued discussions of Dragonlance. They're a great place to go to learn more about the world of Krynn.

Now, I don't want to discourage you guys from having fun, but perhaps there are ways to have fun that would contribute to discussion and not be borderline spam. If you really want to have a game, perhaps have some sort of DL trivia game.

Speaking of which, be on the lookout for something special from Uziel come October!

You guys may wish to check out Dragonlance Underground's (http://www.dragonlanceunderground.com/welcome.asp) forums and ask the Raistlins there if you can continue the various games there. Here's a link to their forums:

So that's where things stand. I know you won't all agree with this decision, but I hope you will understand.

Serena DarkMyst
09-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Well DH, I think that you have made the best decision possible...I went and rethought my original idea for a new forum, and came pretty much to the same conclusion you did....I think it was your words 'dangerous precedent' that really got your point across and I agree. Well made decision man...way to go.