PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice (possible KoD spoilers)

Jason Bower
09-17-2004, 12:42 AM
We recently met the elves in the sewers beneath Pashin. Shaylin must have been impressed with my natural charm and good looks :D, because upon our departure she gave me a Starjewel. I swore in Solinari's name that I would do everything I could to help them overcome their stange affiction. But here's my dilemma. I know what a Starjewel is and what it represents, but since my character is very young and human to boot, he has absolutely no clue. Also, now that there seems to be a relationship developing between my PC and Shaylin, Naelathan has become extremely hostile towards me. So what should I do? I'm LG so I have no intention going back on my vow of helping the elves, but if I fail I don't want to have to go through the heartbreak of watching Shayling and the elves die, and I also don't want to have to deal with yet another powerful enemy. Should I give the Starjewel back? What would you guys do?

Jay

crown
09-17-2004, 04:47 AM
We recently met the elves in the sewers beneath Pashin. Shaylin must have been impressed with my natural charm and good looks :D, because upon our departure she gave me a Starjewel. I swore in Solinari's name that I would do everything I could to help them overcome their stange affiction. But here's my dilemma. I know what a Starjewel is and what it represents, but since my character is very young and human to boot, he has absolutely no clue. Also, now that there seems to be a relationship developing between my PC and Shaylin, Naelathan has become extremely hostile towards me. So what should I do? I'm LG so I have no intention going back on my vow of helping the elves, but if I fail I don't want to have to go through the heartbreak of watching Shayling and the elves die, and I also don't want to have to deal with yet another powerful enemy. Should I give the Starjewel back? What would you guys do?

Jay

I don't think elves will die in next months - it will probably take some time. SO, character has time to search cure. Just keep the search on. You don't give Starjewel back, no no...

Sephzero
09-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Given the signifacent importance that a role a star jewel plays in the courtship and life of the Silvanesti elves. You are liable to get into even more trouble for percieve slights from returning it. Such a vow does help stress the urgency of one's mission to help them which could possibly help drive the quest onwards.

Nightweasel
09-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Not only will it drive the quest onwards, it will also give some adventure hooks for your gm. Go for it! It's a game, have fun and see what happens. The DM probably chose you instead of another member of the party because he felt you'd do the right thing and "be the right choice" as it were. I don't think he'd do anything truly dreadful to you, unless he would........you know your DM best. But go with it, think of the stories you might be able to tell later to all of us on the forums, lol!

Nived
09-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I commend your DM, wish I thought of that one when my group was in Pashin.

You have no reason to give it back IC, of course your character might misunderstand the gesture since the Starjewel is now the emblem of the Legion of Steel. Do the heroic thing man, take on the burden (admitedly unknowingly IC), do what you have to do to save the elves.

libra_sword
09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
That's a really great plot hook and I salute your DM. You should be thrilled that your character has that honor. Go with it. Don't let those elves down. They've been through enough already.

Jason Bower
09-18-2004, 05:20 AM
Given the signifacent importance that a role a star jewel plays in the courtship and life of the Silvanesti elves. You are liable to get into even more trouble for percieve slights from returning it. Such a vow does help stress the urgency of one's mission to help them which could possibly help drive the quest onwards.

Yes, I have thought of that. If Naelathan's reaction is anything to go by, then I imagine that the Silvanesti don't exactly approve of Shaylin giving me the Starjewel, even though I swore on my god's name that I would do everything I could to help them. If I gave it back though, they would probably scream for my head on the end of a pike! Besides, I really like Shaylin so I have decided to keep it.

Jay

Jason Bower
09-18-2004, 05:28 AM
That's a really great plot hook and I salute your DM. You should be thrilled that your character has that honor. Go with it. Don't let those elves down. They've been through enough already.

My DM is doing a superb job so far. This was only his second session as the DM, and already he's WAY better than I ever was! Hope he isn't reading this though. His butt might get too big for his britches! :p

Jay

Master Dark
09-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi all,
This is my first time posting to these forums. I've been playing DnD for a couple of years now, but I've only recently started DM'ing. I'm currently running a KoD campaign with a small group of players in which Jay Bower (who has posted here a few times now) is one. Jay plays a young human wizard named Dorian who aspires to join the White Robes and when the PC's reach Ak-Khurman I'm going to have Zoe Left-Hand administer the Test to him. Now, if I know Jay he's going to have Dorian go for a Soulforge, but none of the examples of physical change given in the ToHS book are appropriate, and I'm having a hard time coming up with one on my own that hasn't been used already. Any help that you guys and gals can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Dark

BTW, his character is so pure hearted, he should have been a paladin. It almost makes me sick :p, but that's the main reason why I had Shaylin fall for him. Thanks for the comments everyone. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right! :D

Sephzero
09-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Well, soulforge usually is something to remind the wizard about their dedication to magic and to remind them of some flaw that they need to work deal with in themselves. Either that or it is a reminder of what they gave up for magic. A pure-hearted character is a bit vague on that matter. Of course, the romance bit of the character could be turned against him in the test. The test tend to take the things you treasure and turn them into daggers to stab into you.

Master Dark
09-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Well, soulforge usually is something to remind the wizard about their dedication to magic and to remind them of some flaw that they need to work deal with in themselves. Either that or it is a reminder of what they gave up for magic. A pure-hearted character is a bit vague on that matter. Of course, the romance bit of the character could be turned against him in the test. The test tend to take the things you treasure and turn them into daggers to stab into you.

Yep. There's my dilemma. He doesn't really have any flaws to exploit. He's polite, soft-spoken, and humble. He helps cats out of trees, and little old ladies across the street. He always puts others before himself. He's totally dedicated to the Art and the cause of good that the White robes believe in. He's also very diplomatic, which annoys the hell out of my other players BTW. When the other characters are ready to hack and slash, he talks his way out unlpleasant confrontations. Now that I think about it, maybe being TOO nice can be a sort of flaw? And I am planning on using his budding romance with Shaylin during the Test, but still, if he survives and does achieve the Soulforge, what kind of change should he undergo? That's what I'm having difficulties with.

Dark

Sephzero
09-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Probably in such a example of goodness, there probably is going to need a test that forces a choice between good and magic. Completely differentiating the two things and forcing him to show which he is more dedicated too. Probably one of the hardest thing is that most white robes don't usually make that great of selection at times for such changes.

I would suggest that the character ends with glowing eyes, they really don't give him any advantage, but it is visible to those that are looking in his direction. Kind of shows that too much goodness and light will forever stands out and needs to be mediatated. Just a suggestion.