PDA

View Full Version : Khas anyone?

Calvillas uth Dalgrin
09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
I was wondering if anyone had developed a khas board, cause I want to make my own but wanted to get some design ideas from everyone.

One thing Ive been tossing around is whether to do it in the traditionial red, black, and white, or maybe something different.

any ideas would be great.
Thanks

talinthas
09-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Weldon Chen (Granak) has. It's hella cool looking. A long time ago, he also coded an online version of the game.

Willim
09-15-2004, 11:39 AM
God, I feel stupid but...

What's khas? :confused:

Calvillas uth Dalgrin
09-15-2004, 12:03 PM
its like the Krynnish version of chess

NiTakhisis
09-15-2004, 08:09 PM
It also plays a major role in Amber and Ashes, after reading that you'll be pretty familiar with it! ;)

Hyperkender2
09-16-2004, 05:30 PM
dose anybody know where I could find a set of rules for khas?
or a picture of what the game board looks like.

*studies the khas parts of Amber and Ashes*

Nightweasel
09-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I know it was featured in the Kingpriest trilogy, but where else has it been mentioned, besides A&A that is?

wannabe_mage
09-17-2004, 03:36 AM
I know it was featured in the Kingpriest trilogy, but where else has it been mentioned, besides A&A that is?
In the Kingpriest Trilogy it sounded pretty much like standard chess to me. I also think it's metioned in a gaming module, perhaps the 15th Anniversary book?

Hyperkender2
09-17-2004, 07:17 AM
sounded like it had a few variations to standard chess the board is round and there are 3 different colored tiles all over the board and I think the tiles are 8 sided.
By 15th anniverasary book what book do you mean?

thanks for your help :)

wannabe_mage
09-17-2004, 07:36 AM
sounded like it had a few variations to standard chess the board is round and there are 3 different colored tiles all over the board and I think the tiles are 8 sided.
By 15th anniverasary book what book do you mean?

thanks for your help :)

This one:
http://www.dl3e.com/products/210.aspx

Weldon Chen
09-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Weldon Chen (Granak) has. It's hella cool looking. A long time ago, he also coded an online version of the game.

Well, first off, the site was taken down. Second, it was never made completely into an online version. there was expandability as an online game, but it never got that far.

And, my rules had slight variations.

Official rules for the Khas chess game can be found in the book:
More Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home.

Variations:
the official one had specific exchanges when a pawn reaches the opposite side of the map. when a white pawn reaches that side, the Neutral shield piece can be moved by the white player. when a black pawn reaches the other side, the Neutral shield piece can be removed from the board.

Weldon's variation:
When a pawn reaches the other side, it can be upgraded into a royalty piece, or you convert the neutral piece to your side, or you can remove the piece, regardless of which color you happen to be.

More leaves has further variations.
look for official rules in:
http://www.dl3e.com/products/213.aspx

Ganryu Kojiro
09-17-2004, 10:40 AM
The first time khas is ever mentioned is in the original gaming modules. In the High Clerists Tower, it is the game played by Yarus and Kurnos. It also gets mentioned in various other places, like the novel Brothers Majere. The game of chess, however, also gets mentioned. In a short story by Margaret Weis and Don Perrin, Master Tall and Master Small, we see a black and two silver dragons playing the game.

Hyperkender2
09-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the information!

Weldon Chen
09-17-2004, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone had developed a khas board, cause I want to make my own but wanted to get some design ideas from everyone.

One thing Ive been tossing around is whether to do it in the traditionial red, black, and white, or maybe something different.

any ideas would be great.
Thanks

There are several different ways of going about making your own Khas chess board.

What is your base going to be made of?
Wood? Stone? Plastic?
What player pieces do you want to use?
How heavy do you want the overall board?

I had attempted making hexagons out of Birch, Redwood, and mahogony. I found, making my own hexagons to be time consuming, and if I cut any too short, out of any of the six sides, my hexes won't look good.

For my first one, I went to Home Depot and bought a "1.5 foot Rounded edge Table top" cedar, for 15 bucks. 2 for $30. Then, I went to a marble/tile store in Oakland California. they happened to have hexagon Tiling. for $60 bucks, you can get two batches of white tile and 1 batch of black tile. They only had white and black, so I bought another set of white, and painted them over with enamel red spray paint. I found that professional tiles were far better at making proper hexagons for the chess board.

I had enough tiles to make two, and I gave the best looking one to Margaret.

Weldon Chen
p.s. Tal, when did you see my khas board? I don't remember taking any pictures.

talinthas
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I could have sworn you did. in fact, i distinctly remember seeing a picture of it (or maybe someone elses?), back on the list or afdl.

hmm. maybe i'm just getting old.

Calvillas uth Dalgrin
09-17-2004, 05:21 PM
There are several different ways of going about making your own Khas chess board.

What is your base going to be made of?
Wood? Stone? Plastic?
What player pieces do you want to use?
How heavy do you want the overall board?

I had attempted making hexagons out of Birch, Redwood, and mahogony. I found, making my own hexagons to be time consuming, and if I cut any too short, out of any of the six sides, my hexes won't look good.

For my first one, I went to Home Depot and bought a "1.5 foot Rounded edge Table top" cedar, for 15 bucks. 2 for $30. Then, I went to a marble/tile store in Oakland California. they happened to have hexagon Tiling. for $60 bucks, you can get two batches of white tile and 1 batch of black tile. They only had white and black, so I bought another set of white, and painted them over with enamel red spray paint. I found that professional tiles were far better at making proper hexagons for the chess board.

I had enough tiles to make two, and I gave the best looking one to Margaret.

Weldon Chen
p.s. Tal, when did you see my khas board? I don't remember taking any pictures.

First I would like to thank you for the information you have provided. That gives me some good ideas to work with.
Second I would like to get your opinion on maybe doing a variation on the board. Something set more in a Solamnic style. Having the KoS for the white side and the KoT/N for the black side. I would like to do it out of wood and preferably do the carvings myself.

What are maybe some suggestion you have on this?