PDA

View Full Version : ToHS: Where ... Why?

Gorgon Heap
09-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately, I'm putting this here because I have no idea where else to put it. At least there are employees who might take a second to reply and help me out.

Is there something whacky about Towers of High Sorcery that has cursed my actually getting it? I've waited since what, December, for it to finally come out, and having no other outlet - not for sale on amazon and obviously not by Wizards since it's not theirs - I order a copy from Margaret Weis' home page.

For starters, I was given no indication how long I could expect to wait for it to arrive. Secondly, I was forced to pay over fourty freakin' dollars for a 160-page book (which I only did because the WoHS are my favorite part of DL). Lastly, I placed the order on the second of this month and the site said it was still a "pre-order" even though it was already out.

Now it's been just shy of two weeks for a product I spent twice as much for as I really think necessary. I haven't waited this long for anything since I was a kid and I was told it would be "four to six weeks for delivery" by General Mills.

What's the deal here? Can somebody tell me something to stop me from pulling my hair out?

flint
09-15-2004, 08:38 AM
I think part of it has to do with the book officially came out September 1st so it hasn't been out that long. The other reason for the delay is SP has been wrapping up convention season and Margaret is on a book tour so there hasn't been anyone in the office to ship the book assuming they didn't sell it out at the conventions. It is well worth the money and is a beautiful and well written book.

Ravenmantle
09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
I think part of it has to do with the book officially came out September 1st so it hasn't been out that long.

I live in Denmark (across the Atlantic) and I got mine 5 days ago. I hadnīt ordered it on any site, just told my local RPG store to put a copy aside for me when it arrived...I tihnk youīd be right to blame convention season for the delay. This is of course assuming that even SP handles shipping of the books and donīt just leave that to their distributor.

Ravenmantle

Myrthalis "the Forgotten"
09-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I purchesed my copy last tuesday, read it by Wednsday, sold it off to a friend Thursday, I was not impressed, it is a modertly useful DM source, and for players I suggest bogarting a friends when you need it. I possess a shelf dedicated to just DL roleplaying and I was dissaponted.

Madrigal of the Ogre
09-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately, I'm putting this here because I have no idea where else to put it. At least there are employees who might take a second to reply and help me out.

Is there something whacky about Towers of High Sorcery that has cursed my actually getting it? I've waited since what, December, for it to finally come out, and having no other outlet - not for sale on amazon and obviously not by Wizards since it's not theirs - I order a copy from Margaret Weis' home page.

For starters, I was given no indication how long I could expect to wait for it to arrive. Secondly, I was forced to pay over fourty freakin' dollars for a 160-page book (which I only did because the WoHS are my favorite part of DL). Lastly, I placed the order on the second of this month and the site said it was still a "pre-order" even though it was already out.

Now it's been just shy of two weeks for a product I spent twice as much for as I really think necessary. I haven't waited this long for anything since I was a kid and I was told it would be "four to six weeks for delivery" by General Mills.

What's the deal here? Can somebody tell me something to stop me from pulling my hair out?I hear you bud. The whole process of trying to get these newer source books is frustrating.

I'm in a major metropolitian city in Canada and only after hounding the city's three best known hobby stores did I finally get one of them to get the book in -- with the help of a couple of other Dragonlance fans in my game group calling / requesting too.

I'm glad I didn't order it from MargaretWeis.com -- cause I figured there'd be a problem with them actually getting it shipped out within a reasonable timeframe.

And delaying shipment because of conventions (if that is the real reason) is pretty bad customer service. SovPress really should look at farming it out if that is the case -- or seriously looking at alternate service delievery options like electronic format etc...

Gorgon Heap
09-20-2004, 08:05 AM
I agree on that last point, Madrigal. If they couldn't keep one person at the office to put books in boxes and ship them off, I reckon it's for the best they postponed the tour.

However, I did finally get my book over the weekend. Does Margaret typically sign all the books she sells from her site? That was a pretty cool touch.

Though it is still too short for my liking, has the same problems with repetition as the other books, and still has typos, I'm quite pleased with the overall product.

Also, mad props to Larry Elmore on that cover - not only does it look fantastic but after looking at it for a moment I realized there are a bunch of things hidden nicely in the background from the novels - Raistlin's teabag, the device of time journeying, the portal, and Bupu's lizard are ones I could identify.

Jamie
09-20-2004, 10:28 AM

What's the deal here? Can somebody tell me something to stop me from pulling my hair out?

We are really sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your order. We have a small staff here in this office and we've had three trips within the last month (GenCon in Indianapolis, Dragon*Con in Atlanta, and the Alliance Open House in Baltimore). I know that a huge stack of orders shipped out late last week, but in order to track your information you should either contact me or e-mail sales@margaretweis.com with your name and order number.

As for not liking the price of our books, there really isn't much I can say to that other than we try to price our books based on the costs of our business. Towers is $35.00, which compares to other full-color hardcovers produced by our competitors. Other stores offer discounting, and after a few months you'll doubtless see it on eBay for cheap.

Cheers!

LoI696
09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
I have seen the book in Borders.

Nightweasel
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
I guess I'm lucky, I can go to my local store and ask if they can get in a book for me. They'll write it down and ask the next time they call in an order, usually about once a week. If they have it to ship, they'll get it in later that week. Truely a superb store.

As for getting a store to order something for you, you might try giving them the cost of the book, and having them write out a receipt for you. You show the receipt to get the book and if they don't have the book by a certain time, they refund your money. Usually most businesses, if they know you're that willing to buy something, will get it in because any profit is a profit.

Otherwise hit online, there are several "mass" gaming stores that have sites online. I'm sorry, I can't think of any right at the moment, but I have visited them. You can place orders via phone or email or online forms. That might be something you look into as well.

wannabe_mage
09-21-2004, 09:39 AM
I guess I'm lucky, I can go to my local store and ask if they can get in a book for me. They'll write it down and ask the next time they call in an order, usually about once a week. If they have it to ship, they'll get it in later that week. Truely a superb store.
I can only say that this goes for my store too, and I live in Denmark. As for complaints on the prices of the products....I paid approx. 60 USD for my copy of ToHS. That should put things into perspective for you guys in the US and Canada.

Kendermage
09-21-2004, 10:51 PM
When in doubt, Ebay it.