PDA

View Full Version : Haha, 1st post (or, let's talk War of the Lance)

iltharanos
08-12-2004, 06:41 PM
So, let's talk about the upcoming War of the Lance sourcebook!

Anyone planning on running a War of the Lance era campaign after they acquire the book? I've got a post-War of Souls campaign right now, and am thinking of converting it to War of the Lance ... or even just starting from scratch.

Serena DarkMyst
08-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Im planning on buying the book right away.....but I don't think I am going to use it to run a War of the Lance era game. I'll probably make use of a bunch of the crunch in it....the spells, feats and such.....It makes sense to me that what was available in the 4th age wold be available after the War of Souls.

Jamie
08-12-2004, 07:01 PM
We'll have our first web preview for War of the Lance up next week! The first preview is of a prestige class from the first chapter.

Carteeg_Struve
08-12-2004, 07:22 PM
We'll have our first web preview for War of the Lance up next week! The first preview is of a prestige class from the first chapter.

That... is.... so.... COOL! MUST SPEND ALL MY MONEY! No! Stop. I'm breathing.... *phew* I can wait. (No, I can't.) Yes, I can.....

Nope.

Too bad I already ran through the WotL a year and a half ago. But hopefully I can still pull some good ideas out of it since we're only up to the time of Legends......... which primarilly is taking place in the past.... &*(^! Well, they've got to get back to the present at some point. :D

Willim
08-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Ugh! I need money to buy these books. :(

I'm not complaining about the prices (game designers need to eat), i'm just saying that even if the book was only ten bucks: tough cookies, Willim.

But when I get the cash, stand back! :D

Cam Banks
08-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Nothing stops you from running it again with a whole new slant on it. This book is useful not only for those trying to trace the path of the heroes in Chronicles but entirely different paths against villains and challenges the book characters never had to directly confront.

Cheers,
Cam

DaemonAngel
08-12-2004, 10:22 PM
I have not been disappointed by any of the DL books so far since August of '03 (except for the occasional typo or grammer fluke here and there in the DLCS and AOM). I'm 90% sure the book is worth it, o I'm sure looking forward to it.
:)

DarkNuitari
08-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I wish I knew where I can buy them in my area :S The only place I go for books is the Chapters or bookstore at the mall, and I don't know of any specialty "gaming" stores nearby either.

Dea ex Machina
08-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I rather hope I can, I'm low on funds at the moment. I have been playing in a campaign for the past month with a Half-Celestial Kender! So it would be fun to use it or something similar during the War of the Lance, though truth to tell I'd rather be a Knight of Takhisis. ^_^

DarkNuitari
08-12-2004, 10:43 PM
I rather hope I can, I'm low on funds at the moment.
Yeah, and I hear these things cost around 40-50$, something I couldn't afford if I wanted to. I can't even buy the hardcover for Tides of Blood! :S

Hatrel
08-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I am really looking forward to this. Being that I started with DL 16 years ago and the WoTL was where I started. This ought to be GREAT!!!!!!!!! ;)

DarkNuitari
08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I am really looking forward to this. Being that I started with DL 16 years ago and the WoTL was where I started. This ought to be GREAT!!!!!!!!! ;)
16 years ago? Wow. That's older than me! LOL :p

iltharanos
08-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah, and I hear these things cost around 40-50$, something I couldn't afford if I wanted to. I can't even buy the hardcover for Tides of Blood! :S

$44.95 or thereabouts for War of the Lance. Yeah, as books go it's fairly pricey ... but from everything I've heard about it, the book should be more than worth it, especially considering that it'll be chock full of goodies due to the smaller page margins. ;)

DarkNuitari
08-12-2004, 11:42 PM
$44.95 or thereabouts for War of the Lance. Yeah, as books go it's fairly pricey ... but from everything I've heard about it, the book should be more than worth it, especially considering that it'll be chock full of goodies due to the smaller page margins. ;)
I suppose, but I still wouldn't know where to buy a copy. I can't seem to figure out where the local gaming shop is! I hear that's the only place you can get them, seeing as they don't sell them at Chapters, at least that I know of...

Ravenmantle
08-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Hehe well Ive done campaigns set during the WotL before so why should I stop now that the books coming out :)

Infected by all the hype that seems to be going on about Chemosh these days (at least in some parts of the community) Ive come up with a great idea for a WotL campaign, which Ill probably run after my current campaign.

Ravenmantle

DarkNuitari
08-13-2004, 12:38 AM
I know what you mean! Chemosh is starting to look really interesting, and I can't wait to see how he's portrayed by MW in Amber & Ashes. It'll be more interesting to see him in a prominent role, now with the retirement of Takhisis (thank the gods!).

Sothus
08-13-2004, 04:10 AM
About the War of the Lance sourcebook...

Well, I understand that it had to be done, and I plan to buy it (in fact, I have already ordered it through Previews), but...

I know I'll be flamed, but... :rolleyes:

I'm tired of the War of the Lance!!!

I LOVED the Age of Mortals because AT LAST there was a change in the settin. At last not everything was about Tanis & co, at last I could think about the Dragon Highlords, at last...

That's why, even though I understand the release of the War of the Lance sourcebook, I'd rather would have liked seening an Age of Dreams, Age of Power, Taladas, etc... instead of a War of the Lance sourcebook...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sir Sothus

Sothus
08-13-2004, 04:15 AM
I know what you mean! Chemosh is starting to look really interesting, and I can't wait to see how he's portrayed by MW in Amber & Ashes. It'll be more interesting to see him in a prominent role, now with the retirement of Takhisis (thank the gods!).

Chemosh has *always* been interesting... long live the undead!!! ;)

In fact, Im fretting to be able to play (I am chained to my DM screen as DM :( ) to be able to play an evil cleric of Chemosh who becomes a lich... :D )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sir Sothus

Darcwulf
08-13-2004, 05:16 AM

We so need a drooling smiley! :mad:

Omote
08-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I know I'll be running a campaign right away. I'm looking to finally finish up a campaign I started back in about 1997 or so. The players have been anxious to get back to their old characters, however this time it'll be 3rd edition style.

Very much looking forward to this book!!!

...............................Omote
FPQ

Steel_Wind
08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
About the War of the Lance sourcebook...

I LOVED the Age of Mortals because AT LAST there was a change in the settin. At last not everything was about Tanis & co, at last I could think about the Dragon Highlords, at last...

A War of the Lance campaign - or book - need not be about the traditional Innfellows.

That hobbling to your imagination is, in fact, a chain of your own making. Do yourself a favor and break free of it.

Might give you a new perspective on the WotL setting...

Valharic
08-13-2004, 11:49 AM
I haven't ran a DL campaign for awhile. After college I stopped playing for a bit. But 2 years ago I started playing with some folks in a Greyhawk campaign and that introduced me to 3rd Ed. Last year at GenCon I bought the DLCS and convinced them to play in a DL setting. Hearing that a WotL book was coming out, I told them that once that comes out, I'll start up a campaign for them to play in. So I've been planning a campaign for about a year now, and working my players into a frenzy to play. Of course alot of things are still vauge. If I got to detailed I'd have to throw it out the door since PC's never do what you thought or planned they'd do. So i've been anticipating this book ever sonce GenCon last year and now I'm finally getting it. Come 10am Thursday morning at GenCon you'll find me in line at the SP booth buying this book.

:D

Omote
08-13-2004, 11:56 AM
When is the WOTL sourcebook supposed to be coming out anyways?

........................Omote
FPQ

snifferdoo
08-13-2004, 11:59 AM
When is the WOTL sourcebook supposed to be coming out anyways?

........................Omote
FPQ

Latest reports are October 1st it should start showing up in bookstores, but advanced copies can be purchased at GenCon (in 6 days!). :D

Valharic
08-13-2004, 02:49 PM

hmmmm...posiblities .... :D

1. Bar Wench
2. Spiced Potatoe Maker
3. Godly Avatar
4. er..... Handler
5. Drunken Seeker

Can anyone think of others?

iltharanos
08-13-2004, 04:13 PM
I suppose, but I still wouldn't know where to buy a copy. I can't seem to figure out where the local gaming shop is! I hear that's the only place you can get them, seeing as they don't sell them at Chapters, at least that I know of...

Hmm, are there any Borders bookstores near you? Amazingly enough, on the few occasions when my FLGS did not have a coveted RPG book I checked one of my local Borders bookstores (there are 3 within 6 or 7 miles of my house) and actually found them there ... and Borders seems to have quite a large rpg section regardless of which store location I visit.

Steel_Wind
08-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Hmm, are there any Borders bookstores near you? Amazingly enough, on the few occasions when my FLGS did not have a coveted RPG book I checked one of my local Borders bookstores (there are 3 within 6 or 7 miles of my house) and actually found them there ... and Borders seems to have quite a large rpg section regardless of which store location I visit.There's always E-bay - usually at a bargain price and Paypal requires no credit cad these days - just a chequing account.

I'd say people are out of excuses... (save and except "no $$" which is a good excuse at any time).

Dr_Teeth
08-14-2004, 03:21 AM
hmmmm...posiblities .... :D

1. Bar Wench
2. Spiced Potatoe Maker
3. Godly Avatar
4. er..... Handler
5. Drunken Seeker

Can anyone think of others?

Awesome, 10th level Kender; 4th level godly avatar :)

Dr_Teeth
08-14-2004, 03:23 AM
I shall be buying a copy, even though I never DM and we dont even play in Dragonlance. I just buy it cause Dragonlance is like crack and I have to buy it. I'll be buying it the way I bought DLCS and Age of Mortals though, dirt cheap on ebay (paid $20 total for both including S&H) :P

Jamie
08-14-2004, 07:59 AM
The new War of the Lance sourcebook may be worth the price of admission just to read the autobiography of Lord Toede...

Sothus
08-14-2004, 08:02 AM
The new War of the Lance sourcebook may be worth the price of admission just to read the autobiography of Lord Toede...
I suppose this won't be a web preview, will it???
When, when????
When the WotL will be released???

Toede, Toede!!! :)

Jamie
08-14-2004, 08:12 AM
I suppose this won't be a web preview, will it???
When, when????
When the WotL will be released???

Toede, Toede!!! :)

We negotiated with Toede to see if he wanted to be among the web previews, but his agent was quite strict that placing his autobiography in a PDF file was not included in the contract. We relented, and went with a character who is dead and thus could not argue with us.

;)

War of the Lance will be in a bookstore or game store near you October 1st.

snifferdoo
08-14-2004, 08:49 AM
We negotiated with Toede to see if he wanted to be among the web previews, but his agent was quite strict that placing his autobiography in a PDF file was not included in the contract. We relented, and went with a character who is dead and thus could not argue with us.

;)

LOL :D After the whole legal incedent with Lord Soth agents I wouldn't be so sure about that... ;)

Sothus
08-14-2004, 09:22 AM
LOL :D After the whole legal incedent with Lord Soth agents I wouldn't be so sure about that... ;)
Legal incident with Lord Soth's agents? What's this about???? :confused:

Durin Helonbek
08-14-2004, 09:46 AM
For me, the WOTL book is coming out at just the right time. I have been playing 3e for almost two years and am currently DM'ing my first campaign. I am a huge Dragonlance fan and have a group of players that have yet to be introduced to the world of Krynn. I am beyond excited to run a WOTL campaign and can't thank enough the good people of Sovereign Press who are brining the world we love to 3e.

:D

Jamie
08-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Legal incident with Lord Soth's agents? What's this about???? :confused:

We're just messing with you! Lord Toede's bio in the book is a humorous treat, so I wanted to convey that same sense of humor on the forums. Snifferdoo was just picking up my joke and running with it.

Besides, Lord Soth's had enough legal tangles, bouncing back between two words and all!

CATTY-YARA: "The Dark Queen combined your trademark world with another Trademark world and reaped great wealth did she not?"

BORED SLOTH: (cupping hand to ear) "What did you say?"

CATTY-YARA: (Slightly louder) "The Dark Queen crossed your original trademark with another and make you more marketable, did she not?"

BORED SLOTH: (not getting it) "I don't understand what you said."

CATTY-YARA: (yelling) "Two trademarks are better than one, right?"

BORED SLOTH: "That is what they tell me, my sweetie-pie!"

CATTY-YARA: "This is the last time I work with a Deafknight!

The above from the Godzillalance Movie (http://www.trhickman.com/Physic/Acquire/Fun/Zillance/Zilla01.html) -- filmed in 1996!

Serena DarkMyst
08-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Ahhhh....finally Lord Soth. This was the first reason I wanted this book.....Can we be expecting any new Soth art? Anything spectacular?

WildKnight
08-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Personally, I think the War of the Lance Sourcebook will have tons of stuff I'm looking forward to, not the least of which is Lord Soth.

Aside from stats for characters from the era and a timeline, any thoughts on what we can expect? Oh, and I already know theres a new character class. Will there be PrCs, Feats, spells, etc? (as you can tell, Im a "crunch" guy)

Serena DarkMyst
08-14-2004, 02:46 PM
I truly think there will be plenty of that as well......after all....Jamie told us that the first web preview of the book is going to be a PrC

Cam Banks
08-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Aside from stats for characters from the era and a timeline, any thoughts on what we can expect? Oh, and I already know theres a new character class. Will there be PrCs, Feats, spells, etc? (as you can tell, Im a "crunch" guy)

There's a ton of crunch in this book. There's a ton of non-crunchy stuff too, but even that dovetails nicely with the crunchy stuff.

Cheers,
Cam, Writer of Crunch

WildKnight
08-14-2004, 04:25 PM
There's a ton of crunch in this book. There's a ton of non-crunchy stuff too, but even that dovetails nicely with the crunchy stuff.

Cheers,
Cam, Writer of Crunch

Oh, I dont mind fluff. In fact I like it. I love to read the "non story" versions of histories, etc. It almost always provides me with a new perspective on certain events, because the versions presented in novels are usually done from a particular characters point of view.

However... if I'm paying 50 bucks for a book, it has absolutely got to include new stuff my players can use. Heck, I feel the same way if Im paying 20 for the book.

On the balance I'd say I prefer crunch to fluff, but I am happy with a book that has both. I felt Age of Mortals did a good job with that balance.

Wizards of the Coast's version of the Star Wars RPG (another license I was really happy to see coming out) seems to have trouble finding this balance alot of the time. Im glad SovPress doesnt.

Sothus
08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie]We're just messing with you! Lord Toede's bio in the book is a humorous treat, so I wanted to convey that same sense of humor on the forums. Snifferdoo was just picking up my joke and running with it.QUOTE]
Yes, I knew it was a joke... I just thought that the Lord Soth part was a follow up from something said before, in the old forums, and as I hadn't been there I didn't know, so I asked...

iltharanos
08-14-2004, 09:33 PM
My musings on the WotL book:

1. Ariakan. We know he was in some basement of the Temple in Neraka ... but what was he doing there? Was he with one of the dragonarmies, did he fight in any engagements with the enemy, was he just kept closeted away b/c he was Zeboim's favorite?

2. Characters/objects that appeared in the Chronicles that I hope to see stats for:

Ariakan (is he just a regular old human or ... something else b/c of his deity mother?)
Cyan Bloodbane
Dragon Orbs! (or will this be in Towers of High Sorcery?)
Dracart
Wyrllish
That red dragon that helped Dracart and Wryllish corrupt the good dragon eggs
William, the owner of the Pig and Whistle ;)
Porthios
Berem
Pyrite
The Aurak spy that was trailing Caramon and crew in Neraka
Bakaris
Lord Gunthar
Zebulah

and lastly ...

BUPU!

EDIT: Duh! Special attention to Abanasinia (and Haven in particular) would be a nice bonus, as this area is ideal for kick-starting campaigns.

SweetMeats
08-14-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm looking forward to this more than anything thus far. The AoM has grown on me since this edition of DL has been released, but for me the era surrounding the WotL was the best.

Though I do wish people would stop moaning about Tanis & Co. Your players, your heroes, your game. Other adventurers performed deeds during that time, theres no need to fixate yourselves on the heroes of the lance.

Steel_Wind
08-14-2004, 10:32 PM
More to the point, it is not necessary to asume that the Heroes of the Lance even *exist*.

Maglaurus
08-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Though I do wish people would stop moaning about Tanis & Co. Your players, your heroes, your game. Other adventurers performed deeds during that time, theres no need to fixate yourselves on the heroes of the lance.

That being said, does anyone want to share ideas for non-Chronicles campaigns or adventures they want to run once they have WotL in their hot little hands? I was actually thinking of running a WotL-era convention game (1-2 sessions) at GenCon SoCal this year--I'm stumped for ideas though.

Cheers,

Maglaurus

iltharanos
08-15-2004, 12:37 AM
That being said, does anyone want to share ideas for non-Chronicles campaigns or adventures they want to run once they have WotL in their hot little hands? I was actually thinking of running a WotL-era convention game (1-2 sessions) at GenCon SoCal this year--I'm stumped for ideas though.

Cheers,

Maglaurus

I've always wanted to run a campaign based on the initial conquests of the Dragonarmies, particularly the battles fought by them in their failed invasion of Silvanesti. Other non-Chronicles campaigns in this Era I'd love to run would be one involving Kagonesti elven resistance to the Qualinesti and Silvanesti invading their homeland or something involving the minotaurs and their attempts to stay our of the War b/c of an aversion to being used as slave soldiers. ;)

Maglaurus
08-15-2004, 01:47 AM
I've always wanted to run a campaign based on the initial conquests of the Dragonarmies, particularly the battles fought by them in their failed invasion of Silvanesti. Other non-Chronicles campaigns in this Era I'd love to run would be one involving Kagonesti elven resistance to the Qualinesti and Silvanesti invading their homeland or something involving the minotaurs and their attempts to stay our of the War b/c of an aversion to being used as slave soldiers. ;)

That's interesting. My immediate reaction to the idea of a WotL adventure/campaign is to set it in the years immediately following the war. I find D&D without Clerics or Druids to be very difficult to run. Still, for a convention game the idea could be very worthwhile.

Maybe someone could help me with another quick question. After Neraka fell, where were the remaining Dragon Armies encamped? Actually, come to think of it I've always been curious about the Dark Queen's forces beyond those commanded by Verminaard and the Blue Lady. I get the feeling the WotL sourcebook will cover this subject, but does anyone have any thought as to where I would look in the meantime for details?

Cheers,

Maglaurus

Sothus
08-15-2004, 05:34 AM
My point against htem is not about games... it's about novels!
Even 60 years after the WotL everything turns around them... who's important now? Let's see... Pali, Caramon's son... Linsha, Caramon's son... Dalamar... not from WotL but also a classic... Usha, Palin's wife... Dezra, Palin's sister...
I do agree that they are not the HotL, but wasn't it so difficult to create a new generation of heroes unrelated to them?
The (only) thing I liked about the Heroes of the Heart is that they are fresh meet! But in those novels... who starts it all? Goldmoon. Who guides them? Palin...
And yes, you may argue that I'm the one who starte the thread "Where's Crysania". Well, yes. One thing is to know if somenoen is alive or what's he/she doing, another thing is having a triology about him/her...

SweetMeats
08-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Even 60 years after the WotL everything turns around them... who's important now? Let's see... Pali, Caramon's son... Linsha, Caramon's son... Dalamar... not from WotL but also a classic... Usha, Palin's wife... Dezra, Palin's sister...

Oh I agree about that, I would really like to see novels that deal with fresh adventurers.

WildKnight
08-15-2004, 11:17 AM
I do agree that they are not the HotL, but wasn't it so difficult to create a new generation of heroes unrelated to them?
The (only) thing I liked about the Heroes of the Heart is that they are fresh meet! But in those novels... who starts it all? Goldmoon. Who guides them? Palin...
And yes, you may argue that I'm the one who starte the thread "Where's Crysania". Well, yes. One thing is to know if somenoen is alive or what's he/she doing, another thing is having a triology about him/her...

Yeah, great... lets chuck out all the heroes and pretend that even though they saved the world (some of them twice), their legacy isnt important.

I dont really undestand what you're saying, because you're wrong about the Heroes of the Lance being the only characters that get "screen time." Dhamon Grimwulf had his own series. Theres a book about the dwaven king (whos name I cant remember at the second, even though I loved the book). There are tons of writings about charactes that were not Heroes of the Lance.

Sothus
08-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah, great... lets chuck out all the heroes and pretend that even though they saved the world (some of them twice), their legacy isnt important.
No one said that, of course they are important. But they are not the only persons in Ansalon, the rest of its inhabitants must also have a chance...

I dont really undestand what you're saying, because you're wrong about the Heroes of the Lance being the only characters that get "screen time." Dhamon Grimwulf had his own series. Theres a book about the dwaven king (whos name I cant remember at the second, even though I loved the book). There are tons of writings about charactes that were not Heroes of the Lance.
If you take a look at the heroes of the so-called core books are nearly always either the HotL or their friends/family, they are *too* recurrent, that's my complaint.
And yes, Dhamon has a triology... what will be the impact of one of the worst triologies set in Krynn? NONE. The events taking place there doesn't mean anything to anyone. That's my complaint. Up to now, when someone has to do something important a HotL, or a frien or a familira *is* involved. I hope this changes!
And it seems it does change. Up until now, the triology of the minotaurs has had no "special guest star." Let's see what will happen with the forthcoming triology of Solamnia.
By the way, that dwarven king was so important that you don't even remind of his name... ;-P

iltharanos
08-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Maybe someone could help me with another quick question. After Neraka fell, where were the remaining Dragon Armies encamped? Actually, come to think of it I've always been curious about the Dark Queen's forces beyond those commanded by Verminaard and the Blue Lady. I get the feeling the WotL sourcebook will cover this subject, but does anyone have any thought as to where I would look in the meantime for details?

Cheers,

Maglaurus

Post-Nerakan dragonarmy emplacements? The closest info. pertaining to that would be the maps in the Atlas of Krynn showing the lands the dragonarmies fled to after the War, e.g. Red in Nordmaar, Black in Kendermore, Blue in and around Sanction, etc.

There doesn't appear to be any concrete info. on the Dark Queen's other forces beyond those of Verminaard and Kitiara ... at least not all in one source. Was there anything specific you were looking for? Like the various Dragon Highlords of each dragonarmy?

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 02:56 PM
That sort of detail would rock...I wonder if the extra pages resulted in that kind of scrutinous detail.

Maglaurus
08-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Post-Nerakan dragonarmy emplacements? The closest info. pertaining to that would be the maps in the Atlas of Krynn showing the lands the dragonarmies fled to after the War, e.g. Red in Nordmaar, Black in Kendermore, Blue in and around Sanction, etc.?

I would definately be interested in seeing such a map, only I wouldn't know where to start looking for it. In the past I've tried to get my hands on a copy of the Atlas of Krynn but I haven't had any luck. You wouldn't happen to know if I could find this map on-line would you?

There doesn't appear to be any concrete info. on the Dark Queen's other forces beyond those of Verminaard and Kitiara ... at least not all in one source. Was there anything specific you were looking for? Like the various Dragon Highlords of each dragonarmy?

The thought of running a WotL campaign based around the invasion of one of the dragonarmies that never made it to the forefront of the Chronicles is certainly tempting. If anyone would like to share what they know from the DL cannon about the Green and/or Black dragonarmies (i.e. names of Highlords, paths of conquest, etc.) I would certainly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Maglaurus

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I beleive there was a Red Highlord named Phair Caron....she was cool....she led the failed assulat on Silvanesti.

If I remember correctly, at the end of the War of the Lance the Green Highlord was named Lucien and the Black Highlord was named Salah-Khan.

iltharanos
08-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I would definately be interested in seeing such a map, only I wouldn't know where to start looking for it. In the past I've tried to get my hands on a copy of the Atlas of Krynn but I haven't had any luck. You wouldn't happen to know if I could find this map on-line would you?

Your best bet is probably through one of the online ordering companies, since the last time the Atlas was published was back in 1987, if I recall correctly.

The thought of running a WotL campaign based around the invasion of one of the dragonarmies that never made it to the forefront of the Chronicles is certainly tempting. If anyone would like to share what they know from the DL cannon about the Green and/or Black dragonarmies (i.e. names of Highlords, paths of conquest, etc.) I would certainly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Maglaurus

Green Dragonarmy
1. Highlord: Salah-Khan, male human lvl 17 fighter (ala Dragonlance Classics adv.)
a. Governor of Khur, Kern, and Nordmaar
b. rides an adult green dragon
2. Early Summer of 348 AC: along with the red dragonarmy, invaded Nordmaar (info. from Atlas of Krynn)

Black Dragonarmy
1. Highlord: Lucien, male human lvl 17 fighter (ala Dragonlance Classics adv.)
a. Black dragonarmy holds sway over Zhakar, Blode and the Goodlund peninsula
b. rides an adult black dragon
2. Fall of 348 AC: Eastern strike begins by Black and White dragonarmies. (from Atlas)
3. Winter 349 AC: Alliance with Khur. Balifor and Goodlund occupied. (from Atlas)

Summer and Fall of 349 AC: Red and Blue dragonarmies assault Silvanesti.
350 AC: Dragonarmies regroup from Silvanesti battles.

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Green Dragonarmy
1. Highlord: Salah-Khan, male human lvl 17 fighter (ala Dragonlance Classics adv.)
2. Early Summer of 348 AC: along with the red dragonarmy, invaded Nordmaar (info. from Atlas of Krynn)

Black Dragonarmy
2. Fall of 348 AC: Eastern strike begins by Black and White dragonarmies. (from Atlas)
3. Winter 349 AC: Alliance with Khur. Balifor and Goodlund occupied. (from Atlas)

Looks like I got em switched....Thanks for the clarification Iltharanos

iltharanos
08-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Looks like I got em switched....Thanks for the clarification Iltharanos

No prob. :)

That would be fantabulous if we got some really detailed info. on the various dragon highlords (the not so popular ones) in the WotL accessory. We already know the leadership of the various dragonarmies changed constantly, what with all the infighting encouraged by Takhisis.

Maglaurus
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Green Dragonarmy

Black Dragonarmy

This is great information you've given me, definitely a good place to start--thank you very much. My wheels are already spinning in fact. I think, thus far, its the Black Dragonarmy that looks the most appealing--at least for something long term. Again, thanks.

Now I have a second line of questioning for those of you who like to talk WotL. How would you characterize the spread of religion across Ansalon following the rediscovery of the Disks of Mishakal? Do priests and acolytes of Paladine, Branchala, etc. spring up rapidly following the discovery of the forgotten religious lore or are clerics and druids devoted to the gods of good rare until after the Dark Queen is defeated? Are the priests that do exist during the war wandering crusaders and healers or do they move to establish formal temples and priesthoods? What I'm really wondering is if my PCs wander into a village in Balifor or Goodlund between 351 and 353 AC are they likely to find a temple or shrine where they can seek safety and healing?

Cheers,

Maglaurus

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 05:58 PM
There was also a little known Black Army high up in The Citadel. His name was Marcus Cadrio. After the war he kept trying to get a handhold on Krynn to start his own empire...he had two cruddy flying citadels...a bunch of draconians in his command as well as human soldiers, and a ship called The Harpy.

iltharanos
08-15-2004, 06:04 PM
There was also a little known Black Army high up in The Citadel. His name was Marcus Cadrio. After the war he kept trying to get a handhold on Krynn to start his own empire...he had two cruddy flying citadels...a bunch of draconians in his command as well as human soldiers, and a ship called The Harpy.

Damn, it's been ages since I've read that novel. I'll have to reread it some time since all I can seem to recall about the novel were the flying citadels and some previously unheard-of island somewhere in the New Sea.

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Heh...Its sitting right here at my desk...With as much as Im throwing it on the boards today Im thinking about cracking it open again as well. ;)

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Now I have a second line of questioning for those of you who like to talk WotL. How would you characterize the spread of religion across Ansalon following the rediscovery of the Disks of Mishakal? Do priests and acolytes of Paladine, Branchala, etc. spring up rapidly following the discovery of the forgotten religious lore or are clerics and druids devoted to the gods of good rare until after the Dark Queen is defeated? Are the priests that do exist during the war wandering crusaders and healers or do they move to establish formal temples and priesthoods? What I'm really wondering is if my PCs wander into a village in Balifor or Goodlund between 351 and 353 AC are they likely to find a temple or shrine where they can seek safety and healing?

Cheers,

Maglaurus
I think that they probably popped up more often after the discs were discovered...but not as widespread as they would of until after the refugees of Pax Tharkas were released. Im almost certain that Elistan did a lot of proselytizing and likely converted quite a few. And Goldmoon as well. They werent too big on saying whether or not in the book as I recall.

Cam Banks
08-15-2004, 09:12 PM
That would be fantabulous if we got some really detailed info. on the various dragon highlords (the not so popular ones) in the WotL accessory. We already know the leadership of the various dragonarmies changed constantly, what with all the infighting encouraged by Takhisis.

You're going to be extremely happy with the War of the Lance sourcebook. That's all I'm at liberty to say.

Cheers,
Cam

DaemonAngel
08-15-2004, 09:17 PM
You're going to be extremely happy with the War of the Lance sourcebook. That's all I'm at liberty to say.

Cheers,
Cam

If Cam comments its going to be good, you know it's gotta be :D

Serena DarkMyst
08-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Well....since Cam was one of the authors on what I take to be the best DL gaming book yet, Ill take that as gospel true.

Ravenmantle
08-16-2004, 12:24 AM
Baaah! I think it sucks...NOT!!!! Ive put the money for the WotL book aside months ago and even though we may be poor no-ones touching that money!! *pats his shotgun*

Ravenmantle

Serena DarkMyst
08-16-2004, 12:27 AM
I have material set aside for trading and punches on my store discount card enough to pick up the next few books at a measly couple of dollars....those cards are gold to me right now!

iltharanos
08-16-2004, 02:16 AM
All this talk about the War of the Lance book and noone's mentioned how cool the Towers of High Sorcery book will be in a War of the Lance era campaign (as well as other eras).

Since at the onset of the War there are few clerics, the primary spellcasters will be the Wizards ... and what a treasure trove the ToHS book will be for those playing Wizard PCs in WotL campaigns. From what Jamie has said, there will be some spells (e.g. Timeheal) that will help alleviate the lack of magical healing in this time period. It'd be interesting to see exactly how tough the magical guardians of the Tower @ Palanthas are ... and I'd love to see stats on the Live Ones. :)

Serena DarkMyst
08-16-2004, 02:26 AM
From the BoK and the proto creature template entry...I assume the Live Ones are some sort of being with the proto template attached.....

Hmmm....other thoughts....new thread.....be there...lol :p

iltharanos
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
From the BoK and the proto creature template entry...I assume the Live Ones are some sort of being with the proto template attached.....

Hmmm....other thoughts....new thread.....be there...lol :p

True ... but proto-what? Proto-human? A WotL-era campaign would also be a fascinating time to run a Noble Drac player. Unlike later eras, people would still view any kind of drac as more of a monster then another sentient race with feelings, children and society. At the least it should make for a challenging roleplaying experience.

WildKnight
08-16-2004, 04:34 PM
True ... but proto-what? Proto-human? A WotL-era campaign would also be a fascinating time to run a Noble Drac player. Unlike later eras, people would still view any kind of drac as more of a monster then another sentient race with feelings, children and society. At the least it should make for a challenging roleplaying experience.

Well, that feeling wouldnt be entirely inaccurate, as Draconians couldnt have children and hadnt developed any society yet.

I ran a Draconian PC during the War of the Lance back in 2nd Edition, it wasnt as much fun as I thought it would be. I was constantly being run out of town, forced to hide, or not allowed to speak. I might enjoy it more, now that Ive matured as a gamer, but at the time I recall it being an intensely unpleasant experience.

Dr_Teeth
08-17-2004, 01:57 AM
Sounds like a great role playing experience. Ive noticed as I have gotten older that I want to play more indepth characters (though I never seem to get there). I want to play a blind monk who only speaks in cliche he is my ultimate unplayed character I have floating in my head.

Sothus
08-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Crunch? You guys speak an English I don't know... :confused:

iltharanos
08-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Crunch? You guys speak an English I don't know... :confused:

In this context, Crunch = new rules or expansions to existing rules, such as ... prestige classes, spells, feats, monsters, etc. Fluff, in this context, is flavorful text, such as ... the history of organizations and societies, how to roleplay <insert race here>, and so on.

Sothus
08-17-2004, 11:42 AM
In this context, Crunch = new rules or expansions to existing rules, such as ... prestige classes, spells, feats, monsters, etc. Fluff, in this context, is flavorful text, such as ... the history of organizations and societies, how to roleplay <insert race here>, and so on.

Heh, someone should make a dictionaire of RPG-used terms for non-English speakers...

Don't even imagine how long it took me to know what "freak" means!!! ;)

Serena DarkMyst
08-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Heh, someone should make a dictionaire of RPG-used terms for non-English speakers...

That document would have to be updated twice daily!!!

Sothus
08-18-2004, 02:19 PM
That document would have to be updated twice daily!!!
Then the printers in the factory I work in would ran out of toner and sheets... ;)