PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items in Krynn

Bridgetsdad
09-13-2004, 09:31 AM
An interesting discussion occured after last nights game session in regards to magic items in Krynn. Based upon the information provided on High Sorcery it was my, and a few others', opinion that magic items would not be "for sale" in the traditional 3.0 or 3.5 sense of Dungeons and Dragons; we just did not see characters going into a city and purchasing magic items from the local guilds.
On the other hand -others felt that since the 3.0 and 3.5 editions of Dungeons and Dragons have rules to create and purchase magic items and that now that Dragonlance is a 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons campaign world - magic items should be purchasable (like in the Forgotten Realms).

I know that it is ultimately the DM's call but I was just wondering what you all thought about this.

Let me know your thoughts, if you don't mind....

Thanks

iltharanos
09-13-2004, 09:38 AM
From the novels we know that Jenna had a mageware shop in Palanthas where she did in fact sell magical items. AFAIR, she sold only minor magical items to non-Wizards, saving the more powerful items to actual Wizards of High Sorcery. The items she did sell to non-Wizards were limited to one-shot items like potions and small trinkets (e.g. Elixir of Truth). While I don't see Wizards as ever selling anything of power to the general populace, there are no such restrictions on the Sorcerers, and there may very well be some Sorcerers that will sell magical items to anyone that can afford the price ... yet another reason for the Conclave of Wizards to dislike them.

flint
09-13-2004, 09:48 AM
As said previously Jenna had a mageware shop so magic items can be sold. However, I feel that any magic item sold would be sold for twice the price in the DMG to account for the rarity. In my game magic can occasionally be found but in most cases it has to be traded for with an item of like value or slightly more value depending on the reaction of the trader to the person trading the items. Of course this can breed further adventure because inevitably the trader is going to ask "Where did you find this?"

Nived
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Note there is a PrC in Towers of High Sorcery specifically for mages that make and sell magical items. Jenna herself being the prime example of this PrC.

Since the Wizards of High Sorcery are all about keeping magic out of the hands of those too stupid, undisciplined, untrustworthy, dangerious, etc to use magic I'd suspect that many mageshops, like Jenna's only sell to other wizards, OR to those who have a mage vouch for them. Say an adventuring party comes in with a robed Wizard of High Sorcery to a specific shop where the Magic Broker in ownerships specialty niche is magic weapons. Those magic weapons likely only get sold to those who have another Robed Mage vouch for them.

That's at least how I see it.

Of course there are always temples that are more than willing to help out adventurers that worship the right Deity.

Kendermage
09-13-2004, 12:32 PM
After the War of Souls it is my understanding that magic items are even rarer than in past ages. Many were used to the point of being permanently drained during the early Age of Mortals leading up to the War of Souls. I would recommend making magic items rare as in Wizards Conclave, even Jenna could not find people selling true mage ware. What few items one finds even in just a trinket are going to be so rare as to be practically priceless. I imagine that the supply of potions, spell scrolls, and wands will be the items most commonly uncovered for a while, at least until industrious artificers start churning out new magic items. Until then though, the spell brokers are going to be the wealthiest of people because they will have some items in their collections worth hundreds of thousands of steel.

Sephzero
09-13-2004, 12:41 PM
On the other end of the scale, you could stress the amount of minor magical items out in the market place as a result of several difference reasons. Possibly with the resestablishment of Order, might led to incentives to try to obtain public appeals on wizards more favorably over sorcerers through item creation. On the opposite end, you could claim that Knight of Thorns have produce several magical items over the time to increase the magical arsenal of the KoN. Following the events of WoS, many of these items might have been lost as a result.

Nived
09-13-2004, 01:21 PM
I think a good example on a Mageshop on Krynn can be found in Key of Destiny, Zoe Left-Hand's shop. She carried scrolls, wands, potions, minor magic items, but nothing over 2,000 Stl (which automatically ment no +1 weaponry since +1 is 2,000 + masterwork item).

I handled it that she would sell low level scrolls andwands to anyone who had the talent (they are trying to recruit for the orders) but nothing of 'renegade level'. The better stuff she'd only sell to serious apprentices or other robed wizards. Of course she did show the party a few nicer items when they helped her out in an incident with the Dark Knights... but anyway.

Cam Banks
09-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I think a good example on a Mageshop on Krynn can be found in Key of Destiny, Zoe Left-Hand's shop. She carried scrolls, wands, potions, minor magic items, but nothing over 2,000 Stl (which automatically ment no +1 weaponry since +1 is 2,000 + masterwork item).

I handled it that she would sell low level scrolls andwands to anyone who had the talent (they are trying to recruit for the orders) but nothing of 'renegade level'. The better stuff she'd only sell to serious apprentices or other robed wizards. Of course she did show the party a few nicer items when they helped her out in an incident with the Dark Knights... but anyway.

Zoe's one of the major NPCs in my campaign, having been rescued from a Dark Knight kidnapping by the heroes, and acting as a tangible influence over the White Robe in the party (along with Master Yap, the Black Robe kobold). I'm responsible for Zoe's write-up in the KoD, so I'm very fond of her. She used to be a thief in Khuri-Khan before the Cataclysm, and had her hand chopped off as punishment for being caught stealing. She turned to wizardry as a less dangerous career (oddly enough) and when she passed her Test, Justarius gave her hand back... it's the hand of the mage she now wears around her neck.

Cheers,
Cam

WildKnight
09-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Zoe's one of the major NPCs in my campaign, having been rescued from a Dark Knight kidnapping by the heroes, and acting as a tangible influence over the White Robe in the party (along with Master Yap, the Black Robe kobold). I'm responsible for Zoe's write-up in the KoD, so I'm very fond of her. She used to be a thief in Khuri-Khan before the Cataclysm, and had her hand chopped off as punishment for being caught stealing. She turned to wizardry as a less dangerous career (oddly enough) and when she passed her Test, Justarius gave her hand back... it's the hand of the mage she now wears around her neck.

Cheers,
Cam

Obviously, Zoe isnt human if she was walking around pre-catacalysm... Of course this is probably something I'd know if I'd bought the adventure.

flint
09-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Probably pre-second cataclysm.

Yona
09-13-2004, 02:37 PM
...Or possibly he's talking about the Second Cataclysm

Cam Banks
09-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Second Cataclysm, that's what I meant.

And she's a half-elf, though she'd be pretty darn old if she was a pre-Cataclysm wizard. And I don't think Khuri-Khan was around then, either.

So, yes. I meant to type "Chaos War".

Cheers,
Cam

Yona
09-13-2004, 02:59 PM
...along with Master Yap, the Black Robe kobold...

Wait... black-robed kobold mentor? *visions of evil-Yoda*

Kendermage
09-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Wait... black-robed kobold mentor? *visions of evil-Yoda*

My what you can do with RPG's these days. Does that mean we'll see a white robe covered from head to toe in a white shelllike armor designed by gnomes to keep the wizard alive?

Sephzero
09-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Unless those are mad gnomes, I doubt the shell armor is going to keep the white wizard is alive as it probably have a neat can opener add-on. That and it probably spirts water everywhere or some other wierd thing.

Yona
09-15-2004, 08:43 AM
My what you can do with RPG's these days. Does that mean we'll see a white robe covered from head to toe in a white shelllike armor designed by gnomes to keep the wizard alive?

To make it truly poetic, he'd have to be a former Thorn Knight, complete with white armor, and possibly a brilliant energy weapon.

Kendermage
09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
That and a deep voice like James Earl Jones's couldn't hurt either :)

Yona
09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Or, if the GM was feeling annoying, the voice of a six-year-old girl.

Gorgon Heap
09-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Heh. "You're a dead man, Ramsey."