PDA

View Full Version : new to gaming

Raistlin M.
09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
O.K. so i walk into my book store and see a really cool D&D book and start looking at it. Ive read all the core books in the dragonlance series and would like to know a little bit about how the game works. Ive never played a role-playing-game before and have no clue what their really even about . Any help?

talarei
09-12-2004, 04:29 PM
for Dungeons and dragons i would suggest getting the players hadbook and if you are interested in Dragonlance get the dragonlance campaign setting. Also you could find a game store in your area and ask around to see if anyone there was willing to help a new player learn the ropes of the game. i hope that helps

shadow_over_agranoth
09-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Try looking for the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Game kit. It has everything in it that you need to learn how to play D&D and comes with lots of things you need like dice and a map. It doesn't cover anything Dragonlance-related, but it's a good place to start and it's pretty cheap. (I got mine for $10 at Waldenbooks.)

Maglaurus
09-12-2004, 05:19 PM
O.K. so i walk into my book store and see a really cool D&D book and start looking at it. Ive read all the core books in the dragonlance series and would like to know a little bit about how the game works. Ive never played a role-playing-game before and have no clue what their really even about . Any help?

The best short explaination for what role-playing is all about that I know of is, "A cooperative experience by which players come together and create a unique storyline about an original group of characters. The expereince is legitimited and controlled, so that it is fair for all players involved, by using dice rolls and statistics to reflect what the players can do within the context of the game's setting". Essentially, you gather together a group of fellow players, between 5-7 including yourself, give one the responsibility of "Dungeon Mastering" and the rest take on the roles of "Player Characters". The DM controls all aspects of the game outside the player's unique characters, PCs for short, everything from the weather to the allies and enemies that the PCs encoutner on their journey through the plotline. Those of us on the board who play the role of DM often post our plotlines, or parts of them, called "campagins" and "adventures" respectively. Searching for these posts might give you some idea of what original stories set in the world the Dragonlance look like.

If you have any further questions I would invite you to IM me by way of Windows Messenger as well as post them under this thread. Just click on the icon at the upper left corner of this post if you'd like to chat.

Cheers,

Maglaurus

p.s. Welcome to the world of role-playing.

Sylvanas_Windrunner
09-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Welcome to gaming, a great experience to have.

clarkvalentine
09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
The way I explain roleplaying games to my mother-in-law: It's a storytelling game, with rules and a referee to determine which actions of the character are allowed and disallowed. Dice are used to determine the outcome of uncertain events.

shadow_over_agranoth
09-13-2004, 12:16 AM
The way I explain roleplaying games to my mother-in-law: It's a storytelling game, with rules and a referee to determine which actions of the character are allowed and disallowed. Dice are used to determine the outcome of uncertain events.

Hey! That's a good way to explain it to my mom! She got convinced sometime back in the 80's that D&D was a satanic game and freaks out when my sister and I play it. :rolleyes:

Shugi
09-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Your mom wasn't the only one. :) Her opinion has, fortunately, changed since I began writing for roleplaying companies.

Clark's description is very apt, and I would also recommend the D&D Adventure Game as something to "get your feet wet".