PDA

View Full Version : Mounted combat issue

Mirdur
09-12-2004, 11:05 AM
In my last game session a problem arise. Two dragon riders were fighting on dragon back and one dragon grappled the other. The question is what happens with the riders? They become grappled also? And in the 2nd round, what happen with the rider that is dragged to the same square of the dragon? Does he provoke attack of opportunity?

WildKnight
09-12-2004, 11:08 AM
In my last game session a problem arise. Two dragon riders were fighting on dragon back and one dragon grappled the other. The question is what happens with the riders? They become grappled also? And in the 2nd round, what happen with the rider that is dragged to the same square of the dragon? Does he provoke attack of opportunity?

Interesting questions. I dont know the answers. I do know this, though. In my game, one player had his Dragon grapple another, and I ruled that both Dragons and their riders immediately plummeted earthward.

I really dont think the riders would be considered grappled... but given the placement of dragons' limbs, I dont think a rider strapped to their backs could do much in that situation, unless someone else were to attempt to attack the grappling dragons...

Sephzero
09-12-2004, 11:16 AM
There was a discussion about how to handle mounted combat with intelligent mounts in Dragon #304 that provided some possibly ruling on the matter. In it they suggested that if an opponent grapples the mount, all the riders can participate in the grapple. Or the riders can attack with light weapons to make melee attacks against the opponent. The riders of a grappled mount retian their dexterity bonus to AC.

That is a set of ruling you could use if you want.

Mirdur
09-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Also one of the interesting consequences of being grappled is that the riders wouldn't be able to use 2-handed weapons (lances for instance).

Yona
09-12-2004, 11:30 AM
And pretty soon we have one-armed madmen leaping from one dragon to the other, trying to cut off the other guy’s saddle. Whatever else you might say about Bakaris, he had some big hairy cajones.

WildKnight
09-12-2004, 11:43 AM
And pretty soon we have one-armed madmen leaping from one dragon to the other, trying to cut off the other guy’s saddle. Whatever else you might say about Bakaris, he had some big hairy cajones.

Sure he did, but lets not forget it was overconfidence that lost him hi arm in the first place.

I think one of the things that made Bakaris work as a villain was that he was like an evil reflection of a hero... he had ambitions, and was willing to take enormous risks to see them come to fruition.

clarkvalentine
09-12-2004, 09:41 PM
First thing I'd do is require both riders to make FORT saves (DC 15) to stay conscious as the dragons tumble through the air, spinngin end-over-end as they wrestle. Failure means the sudden jarring knocks you senseless for 1d4 rounds.

Then, conscious riders can either perform Handle Animal checks as "Aid Another" actions to aid their mount in the grapple, or make independent attacks at big penalties, -4 to -10 depending on the circumstances.