PDA

View Full Version : Knights of Takhisis er.. Neraka

Kendermage
09-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Why is it that all the Dark Knights with even a shred of honor are killed off in the books. First it was Ariakan, then Steel, followed by a few others, in particular Huzzad in Draconian Measures, oh and let's not forget Marshall Medan. It seems just as they are starting to realize that they are playing for the wrong team and do something really heroic to redeem themselves they get killed. If TV went by this principle we never would have seen a Xena series. She would have helped Hercules once she realized that she was wrong, and then would have died in his arms, therefore Xena never would have happened. I could name dozens of other programs that would be ruined if the writers wrote the same way they do in novels, but I think I made my point. And writers of Dragonlance Novels if you are reading this quit killing off the heroic Knights of Takhisis. You can kill all the cannon fodder you want but let a couple live to make amends for past actions. Personally I would have liked to have seen Huzzad reform the Knights rather than Mirielle Abrena, but I must admit I did like Mirielle too, even if she was a thug.

kilrigger
09-09-2004, 10:42 PM
I am totally with you on this one(i'm still trying to wrap my mind around EVIL knights with HONOR but arikan did pull it off)altough there was a dark elf knight in"THE ROSE and THE SKULL"**can't remember his name that did not die but he did end up leaving the order.

RANDOM THOUGHT

LORD ARIKAN"S spirit now free due to the actions in WOS does not move on to the next plane because he is distraught.the order he founded is a hollow shell of what he created.his mother the SEA GODDESS ZEBIOM garnts him the ability to grant new"VISIONS" to worthy men and women who can restore the knighthood to the ideals he had originally intended

are you publisher out there?

kilrigger
09-09-2004, 10:45 PM
oh and for good measure call them "THE KNIGHTS OF ARIKAN"

Kendermage
09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
That would be an awesome premise for a campaign. So many good ideas so little time to play. I personally would not mind another name change for these knights. I understand why they changed to Neraka so it would be seen as a national force much like the Knights of Solamnia, but even the Dark Knights can't agree on where their main base of operations should be.

Sylvanas_Windrunner
09-09-2004, 10:53 PM
oh and for good measure call them "THE KNIGHTS OF ARIKAN"

how about the knights of Zebiom.

kilrigger
09-09-2004, 11:10 PM
dear windrunner,

thought never crossed my mind...i personally always like the "KNIGHTS OF ARIKAN" or the" ARIKANIAN KNIGHTS" with the long range idea of making a nation for themselves...besides with the DARK QUEEN's betrayal i think it's fitting...it would reflect more on Arikan

I mean Vinas did not name his knighthood after any of the three patron GODS of his order

Sephzero
09-09-2004, 11:29 PM
The Dark Knights have been stumbling in many cases on the matter by which they are to make a future for themselves especially with all the rather unsettling demise of all their leaders. It kind of seems to some extent that the whole thing is rotting from the inside as it slowly shamble along its path. What they need is a good inspiration or symbolism for them to rally behind.

I also think they could use some patron or outside support since they don't have gods supports and I'm not sure how well their Overlord support is going with the conclusion of the War of Soul. Maybe they should team up with some Archdevils for some infernal supports.

almeldiel
09-10-2004, 11:22 PM
when I read about Steel, I also had a difficult time grasping the concept of a knight of takhisis like him being honorable. but he was. there's still hope in the world. LOL.

oh wait, you're right. most if not all the honorable ones were killed. gah!

OldschoolDL
09-11-2004, 02:27 AM
the Knighthood is not even a shadow of its former self.

The reason intially they had so much success was because of their orderly conduct and their honor bound Duty to the Laws of the Knighthood. Handed down by Arikan.

What I always saw Lawful Evil was Oppressive but orderly. After they conquer you,then they let you live your life. Provided you don't speak against them, you pay their taxes and will do whatever they ask of you if they have need of you.

in Dragons of Summers Flame, the Knights that took cities truly did basically that. they took the city and governed it. often times they cleaned out the lawless element and sometimes made it safer to walk the streets (Provided if it is Not past curfue hours)

This Honor came from Arikan. Their power came from their belief in Takhisis and the Divine and Arcane powers (For the Skull and Thorn knights respectfully) given to them..

Then...the end of the Chaos wars and their goddess "Vanished" all the events that happen, the hardships of life living almost in the Dark ages again without the healing or magically power takes away from the steady balance there are in things. Vaulted Honor dies a slow death when their own Goddess in their imagination tucked tail and ran. They catch on to Mystism and Sorcery to suppliment their Skull and Thorn Knights, but even these powers begin to wane.

then there was Mina. a Focus Point again to rally to. From those Decades from when Mirelle taking over the orders to Sara leaving to form the Legion of Steel and such the Knights of Takhisis lost the Honor and even the practicalities that came to it. Then basically became more evil more selfish and out for themselves.

Mina came and once again brought clerical power not seen for what one or two generations? I don't know you could say how ever that Mina displayed true Honor (she had her archers fire on her own fleeing soldiers at the first battle of Sanction) But her way her successes and her promises revitalized the stagnating Knights of Neraka.

Then Takhisis Died and Mina stumbled off in the sunset with the Goddess in her arms (Geez imagine how much a Deity gotta weigh to a 17 year old)

So here we are, the gods are back, magic is back at least avalible for those who want to pick up the pieces of the Conclave. From what I understand both the Knights of the Skull and Thorn probably doesn't want to try their luck gaining their old Divine or Arcane powers, and continue the minor practices on Mystism and Sorcery which for some reason is still avaible after Takhisis departure

The main body of the Knights of Neraka that was at Sanction was decimated by the Knights, the Dragons and even Draconians of we presume was Kang. there are pockets and fortresses of Dark Knights, including the large concentrations still in Qualinesti and Silvanesti.

So again...here we are. The Knights of Neraka, stripped of the honorable teachings that made them great, stripped of the desire to pray and study the spells and magic that they had access to by Takhisis and the harnesting of the three moons power. Stripped from a cause and a banner to follow with the departure of Mina. What are they now but a bunch of Ebony armored Thugs. Who like the Overlords have their days numbered

Nightweasel
09-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Uhm, Mina didn't have her archers take out her troops for some sense of honor. She did it so the bodies would intermingle and block the Solamnics path to the remaining forces.

As for teh knighthood, the seriously need some major leadership changes. They need someone like Ariakan again. I know they don't want to follow a god, after all the crap Takhisis did, but they definitely need something.

OldschoolDL
09-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Uhm, Mina didn't have her archers take out her troops for some sense of honor. She did it so the bodies would intermingle and block the Solamnics path to the remaining forces.

As for teh knighthood, the seriously need some major leadership changes. They need someone like Ariakan again. I know they don't want to follow a god, after all the crap Takhisis did, but they definitely need something.

Oye I didn't say she did it out of Honor, I made the point in saying I didn't think Mina had a sense of honor BECAUSE she had the archers fire on her own troops for like you said a calculated measure.

kilrigger
09-12-2004, 10:07 AM
i say we start a petition for the restoration of the Knights of Takhi..Nekr....Knights of Arikan yeah that it

not trying to spoil anything for anyone but i am currently reading A&A if thingd work out or if certains things are left open to interption by the end of the series Lord Arikan could return

so what do say to the fans and the powers that be RESTORATION FOR THE KNIGHTHOOD**knightd of arikan that is

Nightweasel
09-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Ariakan returning as a Death Knight/or something similar, what's an undead knight anyways? to lead the KoT would just be so cool..........

But then again, Ariakan was honorable, he died in honorable combat, so being an honorable individual, if given teh chance to return as undead, or to return at all, would he?

Sephzero
09-12-2004, 01:59 PM
I figure that Ariakan might be incline to return if simply for the desire to restore his fallen order back to the true and proper path. Though his return would generate quite a stir amongst many of the power groups across anaslon. Given his favorable status with his mom, that might produce some interesting results.

Plus Ausric Krell ought to be shivering in his cold metal armor if he ever found out about that.

kilrigger
09-12-2004, 03:16 PM
here is how i see it

Arikan comes back as the patron spirit of the knighthood**big with the lily knights

for the clerics in the skull knights the patronize his mother zebiom

the magic users/thorn knights will use wild magic

Arikan comes back with demi-god status and now has the ability to grant "VISIONS to only a select few of the chosen in the order

could be an epic tale

OldschoolDL
09-12-2004, 04:59 PM
and the Knights of Takhisis becomes the Pirates of Zeboim argghhh matey

kilrigger
09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
look old school maybe i was too vague for u so here it goes

Arikan's spirit distraught over the plight of the knighthood he founded refuses to move on in order to restore the order to the ideals he invisioned he goes in search of knights worthy of his legacy one lily,one skull and one thorn.Thru them he will recuit others

with the help of his mother ZEBIOM,who will do anything for him,(and who is also trying too increase her power)she bestows her blessing upon the ORDER OF THE SKULL to increase their power

Thorn Knight now practice WILD MAGIC because of their former renegade status

He also now as the ability to betow upon only the most worthy of followers "THE VISION"
not as potent as the DARK QUEEN's but still a powerful inducement to followers who will
always try to prove they are worhty and that they have place in the knighthood

1st order of business.............PURGE THE KNIGHTHOOD

OldschoolDL
09-12-2004, 06:21 PM
I was um...kidding you know ;)

actually that sounds like a decent enough idea. if Ariakan did come back. Plus that would bring Zeboim more to the forefront being one of the deities that has always seem to take somewhat of a backseat in the novels and such

kilrigger
09-12-2004, 06:41 PM
sorry i can't always tell...i can be pretty slow sometimes

DaemonAngel
09-12-2004, 10:43 PM
I figure that Ariakan might be incline to return if simply for the desire to restore his fallen order back to the true and proper path. Though his return would generate quite a stir amongst many of the power groups across anaslon. Given his favorable status with his mom, that might produce some interesting results.

Plus Ausric Krell ought to be shivering in his cold metal armor if he ever found out about that.

Ariakan returns.
Mmm yes that would be very interesting.
As one of my favorite DL villans I feel that being only in one book didn't do him any justice. I think his living time on Kynn was far to short.

Nightweasel
09-12-2004, 11:57 PM
And we see in Summer Flame that Zeboim carries him off. He WAS halfgod, so maybe she took his spirit with her as well, and thus it did not pass along the River of Souls.

For someone that was halfgod, or demigod as it were, maybe we'll see him take a constellation of some sort. We don't get to see really what does become of him since shortly after his demise, the world is stolen from the gods. Maybe we can use Ariakan as sort of a bridge to the other demigods as well. A familiar example if you will.

The way I see it, is that he would need to come back as immortal. Maybe not with any other powers, or a direct influence, such as leading a battle and never being able to be killed, that's too powerful. But, as the source of the new vision, and as the leader, guiding force of the KoT. Let's face it, if that doesn't happen, once he's dead, the knighthood would fall into dissarray once again and we'd be right back where it stands now.

And though Ariakan loves and respects his mother, after what has happened, I'm sure he'd understand the knighthood's reluctance to rely on a god. As a matter of fact, he might want them to not become dependent on a god. If the gods ever left again for whatever reason, the knighthood would be able to sweep across ansalon and take it for themselves.

kilrigger
09-13-2004, 07:50 AM
how about this

if Arikan survives the events of A&A...and the upcoming GOD WARS(just my take on things to come due to the power vaccum with the lost of Takhasis and Paladine) Arikan's status will be cemented as the DEMI-GOD of CONFLICT and STRIFE and than the"PURGE" can commence