PDA

View Full Version : (Empire of Blood) Lord of the Bronze Tower

Darcwulf
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I have had a soft spot for this reeking, pestilent pustule, ever since he stuck his contagious claws into Rennard, Huma's Uncle and mentor. I actually remember having some nightmares about Morgion when I first read The Legend of Huma way back when, surreal images of glowing green eyes and a tower. Morgion in that book is similar to how he is presented here, he doesn't actually manifest like Sargonnas does, but his menace in felt big time, Rennard the Oath Breaker is one of my favorite bad guys of Dragonlance thanks to Morgion's menace that hovers about him. Morgion has taken a step up though in the Minotaur trilogy, the menace that now surrounds Nephara, is that of full blown power.

Sephzero
07-01-2005, 11:09 AM
It is nice to see Morgion taking some actions in this new Age of Mortals to expand his influence so he doesn't get left behind. Certainly his work in influencing the Forerunner church is quite nice take, despite some people might have thought initially that Chemosh might have made a grab attempt instead.

Kendergod
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Yes I like that now some of these gods that didn't really do much (Takhisis and Paladine were creating all the wars ;)), but now they are all taking a grab to fill in the void. I haven't really seen any second tier or up that Morgion played a big part in. I really did expect Chemosh to take a grab or maybe even another one of the gods, but Morgion made it there first.

Cursed
07-01-2005, 11:24 AM
It's good to see a different god as a main baddie. That guy's just evil.

DaemonAngel
07-01-2005, 06:54 PM
The dark god of biological warfare. That all I can ever seem to think of him.

Heron
07-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I like Morgion's potential as a villain however, I found him to be rather predictable of an enemy in Empire of Blood. I was also found his use of disease's uninspired. Perhaps bringing the masses to the brink of death and then convert them by healing them.

Sephzero
07-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, after the whole healing business in War of Souls with Mina. The whole winning the love of the populace by healing seems a bit tried right now.

Meixi
07-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Well its great to finally have some god step up trying to take old of the world.......Have to say that the gods of good could be a tads more active as well...... In the past it has always been Paladin with some help of Mishakal, trying to stop Takhisis...Up till now its just one evil deity versus the other.....

Where's the good god trying to stop Morgion now???

Carteeg_Struve
07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Where's the good god trying to stop Morgion now???

Sitting back and having a latte. :)

If evil is going to beat itself up to fight evil, why not focus your energies elsewhere?

Sephzero
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Well, certainly the Gods of Good are off trying to ensure their own power-base right now. The Minotaur race is not exactly an open race for anyone to sweep in and try to influence especially with Sargonnas and Morgion at it right now. Sargonnas is the one with largest gamble to potentially lose right now.

That and too many gods in the same pot ruins the stew. :p

Laz Dragonslayer
07-05-2005, 07:08 PM
yea its nice to see a new villian thats still just as bad or worse than tak

Heron
07-06-2005, 12:00 AM
I finally got around to reading "The Measure" by Knaak today. Interesting twist at the end:

Paladine killed a Dragon Army Legion via Disease.

Knaak Likes Diseases it seems! What is this fascination with disease and Morgion himself?

Darcwulf
07-06-2005, 01:36 AM
I finally got around to reading "The Measure" by Knaak today. Interesting twist at the end:

Paladine killed a Dragon Army Legion via Disease.

Knaak Likes Diseases it seems! What is this fascination with disease and Morgion himself?

The moral I take from that story is don't give up, keep fighting in whatever way you can, until the very end. It is one of my favourite short stories. :D

Elanir
07-06-2005, 01:11 PM
I never expected that Morgion would take Takhisis' place in leading the Forerunners towards (his own) glory. Why would a god of pestilence and destruction have the power to command all the souls of the dead minotaurs? I mean some of these minotaurs probably worshipped other gods (especially Sargas and Kiri-Jolith), they all died in a variety of ways (peacefully, in battle, drowned etc) and Morgion never had any special connection with the minotaur race. Why does he have the power to gather all the souls that Takhisis used to (as the only god in Krynn) without even being the god of death and without the other gods claiming (at the very least) their deceased followers. I could understand if he would lay his claim on the minotaurs who died of disease or used poison and pestilence to destroy their enemies but the whole minotaur race seems too large to be manipulated by the master of the bronze tower. That said perhaps (and I am just speculating here) the power to control the spirits of the minotaurs comes from Nephera and not directly from Morgion who merely augments her own powers to achieve what he alone could never have. What do you think on this matter?

PS: I haven't finished the entire book yet so if my question is answered in a few chapters just tell me to be patient!

Spadstein
07-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I was at once both uncertain and very curious when Morgion was revealed to be the dark contender for Sargonnas' favored race.

I mean, in conjunction with implications from the Age of Mortals sourcebook, and just common intuition, it seemed fairly clear that the obvious evil god to jump into control of the Forerunner faith would be the delightful Chemosh. A god of death ruling a cult that worships their dead ancestors seems a perfect fit. But as is well known, here is an example where real-world occurrences probably affected the story.

I mean, let's face it, Chemosh is getting a lot of exposure in the Dark Disciple Trilogy, and only one book has come out so far! We can expect a lot more of him before that series is done.

For this reason alone, there are several rationalization that promote any Non-Chemosh deity to back Nephera. I believe that the Dragonlance line as a whole is trying to move away from the "Two Superpowers" syndrome we had with Pal and Tak pulling all the strings, all the time. So while there are only so many gods, WOTC's editors probably want only so many antagonist roles taken by any given god at any given time. Secondly, I'm sure Knaack himself would want to avoid a)stepping on Margaret's toes by portraying a character she is still evolving b) the potential danger to the "one world, many gods" theme of dragonlance...I mean, if in one year we had a book from Weis and a book from Knaack with Chemosh as the main bad god...there's strong potential that authors and fans might piggyback the notion and next thing we know Chemosh is the "new" Takhisis.

So whether told by editors, or just from personal preference Knaack steered away from Chemosh. So who are we left with, and what would the "Krynn" rationalization for their involvement be?

From a narrative perspective we might assume that while Chemosh was tempted to move in on the Minos, he wasn't confident of his victory over Sargonnas. Afterall, Sargonnas with the minotaurs has an advantage over the other Dark Gods, the Minotaurs believe in Sargas, an honorable god of strength and battle rather than Sargonnas the treacherous god of vengeance...to minotaurs Sargas is not good, but neither is he necessarily evil. The other dark gods have no such cover...they are recognized by the entire race as evil beings...I mean vengeance when packaged as battle for honor and glory isn't too tough a sell...how to you package lying, disease and death? Instead, Chemosh has different plans (see Amber and Ashes) and it suits those plans for Sargonnas to be focused on guiding the Minos rather than recognizing Chemosh as a primary threat.

Hiddukel is being used by Doug Niles for the Solamnia Trilogy, which is a shame because it seems to me that he might have made a good bid for stealing the Forerunner faith. Afterall, the entire faith is built on a false image put forth by Nephera. The problem is that while this would place Hiddukel in control of the Forerunners, it would not necessarily earn him worshippers, which is arguably the measure of a God's power at this point.

Zeboim is already one of the three main gods respected by the Minos, and while she proably wouldn't be opposed to stepping on her fathers toes, she probably also doesn't like minotaurs enough to be their patron.

Nuitari is obsesed with Magic, Minos as a group tend to shun magic, no interest on either side of the theological fence.

So we're left with Morgion who, while not the obvious choice, is the most sensible once Chemosh steps down from this situation.

Morgion probably has no particular interest in the Minotaurs, but with Tak gone there is a power vacuum, and ultimately it doesn't cost Morgion much to make at least a bid for the mantle. After years of being trapped and manipulated by Tak and Nephera, the forerunner ghosts were probably not too swift on the uptake when their chains were set free, we might also theorize that there was some heavy spiritual traffic immediatley upon the gods return. Since the Gods are capable of moving much faster than mortals (when they are inclined) i don't find it too hard to imagine Morgion saw the situation, decided to make a bid, and snapped up what Minotaur souls he could, focusing on the important ones.

I mean, after all, how many souls did Nephera have at the end of Tides of Blood? Aside from a few notables, do we really expect that she knew all of them by sight? Morgion just had to trap a portion of the whole crowd while the other Gods were still assessing the new state of the world.

Morgion sees an opportunity, and in Nephera he sees a tool. So dedicated to her Goddess' vision that she slew her own husband, Nephera seems to be a bit of an addict for Godly interraction and power. Her ambition and desire to have a god, any god apparantly, support her far outweighs any qualms she might have over selling her race to a god of disease and decay.

In closing, Morgion wasn't the obvious choice, but Knaack has made him a convincing one. And really, how often do we find ourselves seeing a conflict between two evil gods, and genuinely hoping for one to trounce the other?

Elanir
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Indeed Spadstein the practical reasons for Morgion taking up the mantle of leadership of the Forerunner faith are quite obvious. I do like it that evil gods do their best to ascertain their dominance after Takhisis' downfall (while sadly the gods of good and the gods of neutrality obviously remain inactive) but still Morgion's choice seems rather irrational. The fact that he moves first to take the "heavenly throne" of the Forerunners doesn't necessarily mean that he should succeed. I do not object that Nephera accepts him as her new patron (she wants a god -ANY god!) but controlling all the minotaur souls while Sargonnas, Chemosh, Zeboim and Kiri-Jolith obviously haven't thought yet that they could claim part of the spirits does seem to belittle the afore mentioned gods. The DL gods seem to be unable to do more than focus on a single individual/champion and bet all their money on him/her. I always pictured the battles between the deities as a really complex game of chess (or Khas) with more than two opponents. Why do they always have to move the queen and forget all about pawns? I guess this answer is practical too. If a novel described the hundreds (or thousands) of divine agents doing their small part to ensure their patron's dominance we readers would only end up confused and with a serious headache!

Spadstein
07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Your Khas reference made me think of another perspective Elanir, bear with me.

Krynn is a big khas game with multiple players, right? Up until recently Pal and Tak have dominated the board. Now that they're gone the former bit players have more freedom to play.

Let's think of Morgion as someone who up until now hasn't gotten much opportunity to dominate the board, in his over-eagerness he's out to move his queen (the most powerful piece) right at the first opportunity. Sargonnas meanwhile, knowing this part of the board very well, is playing more deftly, forcusing on rooks, knights and pawns.

While Morgion is a genuine threat to Sargonnas, I can't help thinking that the god of vengeance is keeping forces in reserve for the next rival to his dominance over the minotaurs (Kiri-Jolith?) or the dark gods (Chemosh?).

Elanir
07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I do see wisdom in your words Spadstein. It is possible that Morgion is spending a great deal of his power to accomplish the things he is doing (unrelated to his portfolio) while the rest of the gods being more reserved -and perhaps believing that Morgion will fail despite his bold moves- decide to "let him have his way" for awhile. This is as good an answer as any I guess. Thanks for sharing your point of view!

ferratus
07-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Morgion might also be a logical choice because the forerunner cult is a bunch of crazy fanatics, and Morgion is the lord of madness.

Queenpriestess
07-17-2005, 08:49 AM
In closing, Morgion wasn't the obvious choice, but Knaack has made him a convincing one.
Since Darcwulf mentioned Rennard the Oathbreaker... Some weeks ago I read a short story (by RAK of course) in which Rennard's ghost returns from the abyss and goes against a band of Morgion's clerics to help a young knight... In the story we even get a glimpse of the infamous Bronze Tower. So... ghosts, disease, Morgion... having that story fresh in my mind, it was not that unexpected.

The story is called "Into shadow, into light" (from The Cataclysm Tales).