PDA

View Full Version : What is the most difficult alignment to play?

talarei
09-07-2004, 02:16 AM
Whhat does every one think is the most difficult alignment to play and why?

I think Chaotic Evil is because everyone I know seems to think that CE means you get to run around and kill everything and everyone and that makes you an interesting character. they never work with anyone else and are always trying to kill people for the equipment they want. i have never met a player who would manipulate the others into getting themselves killed. and then striking a deal with the bad guys so they could then get all the stuff their companions had with out having to fight them.

Steel_Wind
09-07-2004, 03:01 AM
I would agree that CE is extremely difficult to play. Mostly however, I think we give CE too much credit.

CE is mostly just downright *insane* in human terms. Attempts to rationally explain this philosophy to me are impossible to integrate. While as an alien philosophy (read demonic, undead etc.) it may make some sense, as a human motivation it does not unless insanity is brought into it.

There are many who disagree with my views on this and have said so over the years - but that's my spin and I'm sticking to it.

So yes, CE is, IMO, the most difficult to play, as it is the most alien of philosophies and outlooks.

OldschoolDL
09-07-2004, 03:08 AM
Chaotic Evil isn't the most difficult. At least they can see the CE character coming from a mile away.

Nah the truly difficult to play is Chaotic Neutral. The alignment itself seems to be geared for someone whos moodswings can be violent or not. Depending on the unpredictiblity of the character. Chaotic Evil would be so psychopathic they would kill at the drop of the hat. a Chaotic Neutral is So Psychopathic that they would kill at the drop of a hat, but as long as the hat was being worn by a guy in a bugs bunny suit at the time... or some such trigger.

Dr_Teeth
09-07-2004, 03:27 AM
I played a chaotic neutral character once and made all decisions by the flip of a coin.

Also played a Neutral character who every time I did a bad deed i had to do a good deed soon after (ie...kill someone but then would donate their money to a church)

Back to the original topic. Ive always had a hard time playing a Lawful Good character. Maybe its because im a Monty Haul type player who cares more about magical items than companions :p But it just seems that nearly anything a player does as a LG character could be viewed as breaking alignment. So when I want a challenge I play LG.

WildKnight
09-07-2004, 06:39 AM
I played a chaotic neutral character once and made all decisions by the flip of a coin.

Also played a Neutral character who every time I did a bad deed i had to do a good deed soon after (ie...kill someone but then would donate their money to a church)

Back to the original topic. Ive always had a hard time playing a Lawful Good character. Maybe its because im a Monty Haul type player who cares more about magical items than companions :p But it just seems that nearly anything a player does as a LG character could be viewed as breaking alignment. So when I want a challenge I play LG.

Errrr... Lawful Good shouldn't be nearly that restrictive. I like to think of myself as a relatively good person and I try to follow the law. Hence, Im Lawful Good. Caramon is Lawful Good for petes sake.

Carteeg_Struve
09-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Errrr... Lawful Good shouldn't be nearly that restrictive. I like to think of myself as a relatively good person and I try to follow the law. Hence, Im Lawful Good. Caramon is Lawful Good for petes sake.

Personally I see True Neutral as the toughest. You can't be random like CN. You can't always follow the letter of the law, like LN. You can't become too good of a person over time, and you can't get too evil. Unlike every other alignment, you can't take anything too far or you'll slip to something else. I have a few TN characters, but a part of me thinks they had eventually grown in one direction or another. Keeping the PC in the middle for the long run is VERY tough.

wannabe_mage
09-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I think true neutral is the most diffcult to play. Following the path of true neutrality cant be done IMO. People, players and even characters are aleays something different. True neutral is something you are in a few seconds at a time. It's simply not possible to find equilibrum in the majority of things you do.

Sylian
09-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Well, I am going to do like this: Everyone starts like True Neutral. Then their actions make them other aligments.

J.Meyer
09-07-2004, 11:34 AM
I would say lawful evil would be the hardest for me to play. Simply because I would want to do something good every now and then.
The easiest for me to play would be neutral, chaotic neutral, and neutral good. :D

frankwanderer
09-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Each alignment is tough for its own reasons. The difficulty of meeting those challenges often depends on the roleplaying style of the individual player. Some have an easier time avoiding each of the following challenges then others.

Lawful Good: The toughest challenge arises when players fall into the trap of playing the alignment either "Lawful Chump/Stupid" or "Lawful Arrogant". Now, there's nothing wrong with that....but it isn't the only option possible. Often times, Lawful Good ironically requires a bit of flexible thinking on the part of the player in order to make this character enjoyable for both the player and his/her fellow players.

Neutral Good: The toughest challenge arises when players consider this one of the "easiest" alignments to play, and consequently take it for granted. The result of this can be very two-dimensional good-guy characters with very little to sustain a player's interest in the character over the long-term. Another result is the roleplay of the character as being distinct from the personality of the player often also falls by the wayside.

Chaotic Good: The toughest challenge arises when players consider this alignment the "I can do anything I like even though I have to play a so-called good character". Now, don't mistake me. To an extent, that is kind of what the alignment is. However, when its used for....excess license.....then the character and his/her player has gone too far. I've seen more arguements arise between DMs and players of Chaotic Good characters on "alignment violations" then pretty much any other alignment.

Lawful Neutral: The toughest challenge arises when players fall into the trap of roleplaying this one as the "stuck-up and mean jerk" of the party. This alignment can cause real inter-player conflict of the not so pleasant variety if the player is only at the table for his/her own enjoyment and entertainment (and not that of his friends around the table).

Neutral: Two seperate challenges arise, depending on whether one is talking about Neutral-Neutral or one is talking about True Neutral. The challenges of True Neutral are pretty straightforward, and boil down to the fact it really is difficult to play a character who constantly has to balance every decision made against both past decisions and future possibilities. Most of the players I've encountered pretty much fail at this one, and end up being Neutral-Neutral. Neutral-Neutral suffers from the same challenge as Neutral Good, only moreso. As much as people argue that alignments are a straightjacket on good roleplay, more often then not, its the characters that lack an alignment (which is essentially what Neutral-Neutral is) that also lack personality and color. It's a real challenge to build one's own character framework from scratch (and not have that framework end up "classifying" the character in another alignment).

Chaotic Neutral: The toughest challenge of this one for a player is keeping his/her fellow players' respect and appreciation. Yeah, its nice to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want. But it's also a seductive trap, and it sucks when a table has to break up because the player roleplaying the Chaotic Neutral character has torqued everyone else off.

General note on Evil alignments: The big challenge for players of all evil characters is making certain that, both during and after the game, all the other players still had fun at the table.

Lawful Evil: There is a certain irony in the toughest challenge of playing Lawful Evil: keeping the character "Lawful". It's also a challenge for authors I've noticed. Evil allows the player a lot of freedom in what they can do. It's sometimes really hard to take all that freedom, however, and cram it into a framework (at least not without expanding the framework to such an extent that it becomes a farce).

Neutral Evil: This is definitely the easiest alignment to play, and the hardest alignment to be a player at the same table with. The choice between taking experience penalties for not playing one's alignment versus torquing off one's fellow players and/or DM is pretty much a no-win situation.

Chaotic Evil: The toughest challenge is simply not destroying the game and/or the character. The game has to be designed specifically for one or more (ironically, more is actually better, in this case) of the players playing Chaotic Evil characters. The challenge of avoiding not destroying the character is often an insurmountable one for players. Chaotic Evil characters are like fireworks: bright and loud for an instant before snuffing out in a cloud of smoke.

Frank the Wanderer

The Grimace
09-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Well, I am going to do like this: Everyone starts like True Neutral. Then their actions make them other aligments.
I agree with your sentiment the most. Though every player writes down the alignment of their character on their sheet before the first session, it really depends on the character's actions.

Yona
09-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Wasn't Raistlin statted as being CE by the Legends? I've always felt that he was pretty much the exemplar of that alignment. He lies, steals, murders, and manipulates, no one is safe from him, not even the one person he actually cares about. But he doesn't go around randomly killeng kittens and burning down orphanages. He's definately evil, and the chaotic part is not so much a randomness as its the fact that he utterly ignores any rules (moral, or actual laws) that even remotely get in his way.

Sephzero
09-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I usually don't seem to find that any one alignment is difficult in and of itself. Pretty much the problems arises when it comes to how much conflict happens when it goes contrary to the prevailing alignment of the party or the campaign. Kind of like the example of alignments in the PHB, where they had a party composed of every single type. That was crazy circus.

WildKnight
09-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Wasn't Raistlin statted as being CE by the Legends? I've always felt that he was pretty much the exemplar of that alignment. He lies, steals, murders, and manipulates, no one is safe from him, not even the one person he actually cares about. But he doesn't go around randomly killeng kittens and burning down orphanages. He's definately evil, and the chaotic part is not so much a randomness as its the fact that he utterly ignores any rules (moral, or actual laws) that even remotely get in his way.

I agree, basically... but my feeling has always been that Neutral Evil people ignore rules that get in their way. Chaotic Evil people actively rebel against them.

Raistlin does carry that "senseless violence" deep down, hes just smarter about it than most. I see him as Chaotic because he actually believes "they laughed at me and my brother got more girls than me!" is a justification for all of the horrible things he does. Hes not exactly a paragon of sanity or stability.