PDA

View Full Version : Should Knights be able to take Fighter Feats?

Brightblade
09-05-2004, 01:43 AM
i will be starting KoD campaign soon and although this is a problem is way away, i wanted to get peoples oppinions on whether knights can take fighter feats, specificaly greater wepon focus and greater wepon spec.

my personal opinion is that knights are "fighters", epecialy knights of the crown, and should be able to take these feats.

Sephzero
09-05-2004, 01:46 AM
I would not allow levels in the KoS prestige class to actually stack for the purpose of qualifying them for Fighter level feats prerequisites. That kind of diminish the Fighter class given how much abilities that the Knight already gain from their levels.

The Grimace
09-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Anyone can take fighter feats as long as they meet the requirements. Its fighters who are limited to feats on the fighter feat list. They can take any feat as well, but are limited on which feats to take for their bonus feats.

iltharanos
09-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Anyone can take fighter feats as long as they meet the requirements. Its fighters who are limited to feats on the fighter feat list. They can take any feat as well, but are limited on which feats to take for their bonus feats.

He's talking about the feats that are specific to fighters (i.e. require x levels of fighter).

I'm of the opinion that no, Knights should not be allowed to take fighter-specific feats unless they otherwise meet the requirements. Knights already have alot going for them, no need to boost them up even further.

The Grimace
09-05-2004, 02:20 AM
He's talking about the feats that are specific to fighters (i.e. require x levels of fighter).
Ah, my bad.

Andre La Roche
09-05-2004, 04:12 AM
As folks have touched upon, the knight classes themselves don't count as fighter levels for determining if someone can have access to a feat. However, most Knights will have plenty of levels in fighter anyways (and thus be able to take the feats), which makes it a fairly moot problem.

Cam Banks
09-05-2004, 09:26 AM
This is the trade-off for taking levels in all of these tough warrior/fighter prestige classes, you see. It's a little like the trade-off between WoHS and standard wizard. Smart wizards continue to advance as a wizard every so often so their familiars and bonus feats continue to accrue, and smart knights continue to advance as fighters in order to benefit from bonus feats and accumulated fighter levels.

Cheers,
Cam

WildKnight
09-05-2004, 09:32 AM
This is the trade-off for taking levels in all of these tough warrior/fighter prestige classes, you see. It's a little like the trade-off between WoHS and standard wizard. Smart wizards continue to advance as a wizard every so often so their familiars and bonus feats continue to accrue, and smart knights continue to advance as fighters in order to benefit from bonus feats and accumulated fighter levels.

Cheers,
Cam

Are there any Feats that require Fighter levels, other than Weapon Specialization with its "Fighter 4" requirement?

Personally, I've always found that requirement ridiculous... if it takes a certain degree of skill at arms (in this case, a +4 base attack bonus and a Weapon Focus Feat) in order to achieve specialization, why should Fighters mystically be the only ones that qualify? It makes no sense... there is no reasonable explanation for it beyond "because the PHB says so." I allow anyone with a +4 BAB and Weapon Focus to take Weapon Specialization. I also allowed Weapon Specialization to non-Fighters in 2nd Edition. The distinction between someone with "Fighter" written on their sheet and someone without has always escaped me, if the character has invested in the other requirements. I've also never bought into the "game balance" argument... in 3E almost nobody plays a straight Figther anyway... they only take enough levels to support whatever PrC they want to get.

Of course, there is the fact that never in all the 3.0/3.5 games Ive run or played in, I have never seen anyone take the Weapon Specialization Feat except the one time a character needed it for a Prestige Class too. :eek:

Brightblade
09-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Ok thanx guys points taken. I like Cam's idea and explanation. and scince his oppinion is valued amongst the guys in our group is going to be the one i give them. Thax to everyones ideas and oppinions. :)

Cam Banks
09-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Are there any Feats that require Fighter levels, other than Weapon Specialization with its "Fighter 4" requirement?

Yes - Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization.

The 3.5 designers were noticing that a great many complaints came from players of the fighter class, who said that there wasn't anything particularly special about the class at higher levels. This is a means of addressing that issue.

I know a lot of people who pick up Weapon Spec. Almost all fighter PCs in my games have done so, and a lot of the NPC stat blocks I write up for my freelance work do as well. In fact, Vanderjack the Sellsword has the whole package, I think - WF, WS, GWF and GWS. Dangerous guy.

Cheers,
Cam

WildKnight
09-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Yes - Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization.

The 3.5 designers were noticing that a great many complaints came from players of the fighter class, who said that there wasn't anything particularly special about the class at higher levels. This is a means of addressing that issue.

I know a lot of people who pick up Weapon Spec. Almost all fighter PCs in my games have done so, and a lot of the NPC stat blocks I write up for my freelance work do as well. In fact, Vanderjack the Sellsword has the whole package, I think - WF, WS, GWF and GWS. Dangerous guy.

Cheers,
Cam

Well, the fact that you have people that *play* Fighters might have some influence over that. Honestly nobody in any game Ive been in has taken more levels of Fighter than was absolutely necessary for some Prestige Class. Actually, thats untrue... the Rogue in my very first game took 2 levels of Fighter after a while, figuring that the extra HP and 2 free Feats couldnt hurt him any.