PDA

View Full Version : 1st level equipment

Daven
09-02-2004, 07:16 AM
How much money does a mystic, or a noble, or a mariner have at 1st level?
In the manual it is not said.

Cam Banks
09-02-2004, 08:47 AM
How much money does a mystic, or a noble, or a mariner have at 1st level?
In the manual it is not said.

I answered this over on the WOTC boards, Daven. :)

Cheers,
Cam

wannabe_mage
09-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, I don't know if there's an official answer for this, but I'd go with comparing these three classes with the core classes in the PH. Mystic should be fairly easy and the mariner could do with the starting money for the rogue. Regarding the noble I'd go with twice the rogue's starting money. You could argue that the noble should have access to infinite funds. For technical reasons that doesn't work when comparing to the other classes.
BUT I suspect this wasn't really what you were looking for ;)

Edit: It seems that I'm late much of the time these days :D

clarkvalentine
09-02-2004, 09:20 AM
You could argue that the noble should have access to infinite funds.

I'd give them twice the highest starting gold of classes from the PHB. If they want access to their family's money, that's what Favor checks are for.

I'd give the Mystic the Sorcerer's starting gold (lone spellcaster, somewhat of an outcast perhaps...), and the Mariner would get what the Rogue gets.

Cam Banks
09-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Okay, here's the content of my WOTC Dragonlance board post, just to clarify things:

Mariner 5d4 x 10 (125 stl)
Mystic 4d4 x 10 (100 stl)
Noble 8d4 x 10 (200 stl)

Nobles get a noble's outfit and signet ring for free, whereas the other two get a free standard outfit (traveller's, scholar's, etc etc) as per usual.

Cheers,
Cam

clarkvalentine
09-02-2004, 09:25 AM
...just to clarify things:

Dammit, Cam, if you keep clarifying things, we can't post our uninformed opinions as fact and then flame each other over them!

Cam Banks
09-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Dammit, Cam, if you keep clarifying things, we can't post our uninformed opinions as fact and then flame each other over them!

Damn, you're right. I've failed you all as a source of information! I should have handed out half-truths and evasive responses instead. I'll try harder next time.

You're absolutely right about the Favor checks, though. Nobles are adventuring characters, their wealthy families aren't going to send along the fortunes with them unless they come and ask for it on a case by case basis.

"Oh, Francoise wants another new tower shield and full plate armor. Sigh. Well, he *did* work hard slaying that dragon with his vulgar friends. I suppose we'll have a dig around our vaults and see what we can scrape together. Carlton? More tarbean tea, please. With cream."

Cheers,
Cam

Daven
09-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks Cam Banks!

wannabe_mage
09-02-2004, 09:58 AM
"Oh, Francoise wants another new tower shield and full plate armor. Sigh. Well, he *did* work hard slaying that dragon with his vulgar friends. I suppose we'll have a dig around our vaults and see what we can scrape together. Carlton? More tarbean tea, please. With cream."

Cheers,
Cam

Hahahahahaha :)

shiin
09-02-2004, 10:22 AM
As for the Mariner just make it like we did:
he was washed ashore so all he had were his clothes (no starting money!).