PDA

View Full Version : On Undead and Evil Clerics

OldschoolDL
08-31-2004, 09:23 PM
Ok I understand the Dead is totally the Domain of Chemosh and his clerics. But Evil clerics that turn undead make them their servants. so perhaps It wouldn't be out of line for Other Evil Clerics of different Gods to say Animate or Control Undead as a Secondary or Minor spell power (being the only necromantic spells they could do and leaving the rest the domain of Chemosh)

Imagine Clerics of Zeboim raising Ghost Ships to Attack sea ports who haven't paid tributes to Zeboim.

WildKnight
08-31-2004, 10:01 PM
Ok I understand the Dead is totally the Domain of Chemosh and his clerics. But Evil clerics that turn undead make them their servants. so perhaps It wouldn't be out of line for Other Evil Clerics of different Gods to say Animate or Control Undead as a Secondary or Minor spell power (being the only necromantic spells they could do and leaving the rest the domain of Chemosh)

Imagine Clerics of Zeboim raising Ghost Ships to Attack sea ports who haven't paid tributes to Zeboim.

Actually, any cleric can cast the "summon undead" spells, and if Create Undead is a Cleric spell (I dont feel like looking at my PHB right now), then any Cleric can cast it. Domains are special, additional spells that clerics get, theoretically related to their gods specialty. Basically what Im trying to say is, I think clerics of other evil gods *can* create undead already.

I like your Zeboim/ghost ship idea though.

iltharanos
08-31-2004, 10:01 PM
Per the 3.5 rules, Clerics of any evil deities have access to all spells dealing with the undead ... and such spells would not be limited to those deities that have undeath or death in their portfolio.

EDIT: Create undead is indeed a Cleric spell.

Sephzero
08-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Chemosh portfolio with undeads probably just means he's got the lion share when it comes to utilizing them, but it probably possibly that there are a number of types of undeads that are align with other of the evil deities and not him. So it is more likely that with a Chemosh's Priest to use undead, but not unheard of for others clerics. Besides, undeads are easily created and disposable force for any evil clerics to utilized.

OldschoolDL
08-31-2004, 11:44 PM
great thanks guys I had thought it would be logical.

Then do you think then that Chemosh Clerics gain any special benefits or could bestow special benefits upon any undead they summon or create or employ (in terms of the more intellegent types like Vampires Spectres and such perhaps almost a reaction bonus)

iltharanos
08-31-2004, 11:46 PM

Then do you think then that Chemosh Clerics gain any special benefits or could bestow special benefits upon any undead they summon or create or employ (in terms of the more intellegent types like Vampires Spectres and such perhaps almost a reaction bonus)

Game-wise, they would not be able to do anything that another evil cleric could not also do. However, we may see some Chemosh-specific Prestige Classes in the Holy Orders of the Stars accessory that would prove otherwise.

WildKnight
09-01-2004, 06:40 AM

Nope, no special abilities (and to give them some would unbalance them against other clerics and the other classes... cleric is already pretty high on the power curve). Well, they do have the Death Domain (or can have), which I believe bestows some undead-related spells, but thats about it.