PDA

View Full Version : Blue Crystal Staff minor powers

Valharic
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Just reading on the staff in WotL and I found a possible weakness/abuse of the staff that players could have. Curing minor wounds, which heals 1 point of damage, can be used without using any charges. A savy player could catch onto this and say they're using that to heal 40 points of damage 1 point at a time, for example.

I think I would errata this that for evey 4 points healed this way it uses a charge.

Sallis the Silver Blaze
08-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Using a staff's power requires a standard action, which lasts a little less than six seconds. That would take quite some time to do that. If they do that, just send a party of ogres after them :)

Valharic
08-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of post combat scenario. If they tried it during combat they would get smacked up pretty bad.

Steel_Wind
08-30-2004, 11:07 PM
And there's nothing wrong with using the Staff in that manner.

It's not a tactical heal during combat or a raise dead. Its using the Staff's restorative powers - at camp usually - to make sure the party is healthy for the next day.

The powes which require charges are jealously guarded and used tactically when necessary.

We have been playtesting with that ability of the staff in DLA1 (NWN version of DL1) and it works reasonably well as a notional "camp" ability of the staff (assumimg the staff is in the party - and that is not necessarily so!).

Throw the 3.5 version DLCS Dracs against the party instead of Cam's 3.0 version of same, and you'll quickly realize that being able to heal the heroes strategically is NOT a bad idea at all. In fact, it can be downright necessary.

It is the personal artifact and main talisman of the goddess of healing. The fact that it can heal absolutely given time should not come as a surprise...

Sallis the Silver Blaze
08-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of post combat scenario. If they tried it during combat they would get smacked up pretty bad.

Now why does that stop you from sending a party of ogres at them when they try that.

*evil DM cackle*

The Grimace
08-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Also, the party won't really know exactly what the staff does at first. I hate it when some group gets a magical item and automatically understands everything it does.

Sephzero
08-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Also given the role that the BCS tends to play when it gets introduced, it could be assume that in the long run most parties wouldn't have the leisure to go around using the BSC to such an extent or have it long in their posession without good reasoning. That and it is rather odd character role-playing to handle such a holy relic in such a manner.