PDA

View Full Version : Renegade Hunters

Zarvox
05-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I received this email in my inbox today. I think you guys could do better with it than I could. So here you go!

"Dear reader of Dragonlance Nexus

I have a few questions and I hope you can give me some anwsers.
The questions are about 'the tower of high sorcery' and more specifically about 'renegade hunters'
1) I always thought that the mages of High sorcery weren't allowed to wield wapens (beside a dagger).
How is it that the renagade hunters I read about can cast lightning bolts and wield crossbows and rapiers?
2) Or are this renagade hunters mercenaries hired by the tower? which I would find odd, because I would
expect that a mage-problem would be solved by mages of the tower themself and not by other people.
3) What kind of training would a mage have to get to become a renegade hunter?

Thanks in advance for all the anwsers and theories
Bart"

Dagartha
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
regarding the first question, i believe that the mages didn't use many weapons as it would take that much more time away from their pursuit of magic. using daggers was more of an homage to Magius and is a common sense holdout weapon that would require minimal skill, in my opinion.

regarding the Renegade Hunters, i would say their skill in more weapons is similar to our modern Spec Ops teams. Marine Force Recon, SAS/SBS, SEALs, Rangers, Green Beret, Delta Force, Combat Controllers, etc...very often get to use equipment that isn't normally issued to 'regular' combat forces. also, it would make sense for them to have a plan B as it were. if they are outclassed by a renegade on a magic level then perhaps a weapon would even the score.

if this is semi-incoherent i apologize. i'm typing this on my break and don't have much time. i hope to address the other questions later.

DmJoeSolarte
05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I received this email in my inbox today. I think you guys could do better with it than I could. So here you go!

"Dear reader of Dragonlance Nexus

I have a few questions and I hope you can give me some anwsers.
The questions are about 'the tower of high sorcery' and more specifically about 'renegade hunters'
1) I always thought that the mages of High sorcery weren't allowed to wield wapens (beside a dagger).
How is it that the renagade hunters I read about can cast lightning bolts and wield crossbows and rapiers?

First off, I have to say there is a difference between what we see in the novels vs the WOTC-approved whatever edition of DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS with DragonLance supplements. By that, from a novel standpoint, the writers more or less have freedom to do what they need to do in order to advance and tell their story, which is ultimately the bottom line of this world, namely selling books.

By that, while yes the novels and other rules out there say "only a dagger", if we look past the artistic reasons for giving renegade hunters crossbows and rapiers, you can look at it from a practical side (ie, a renegade is probably not wearing armor ,so a well placed crossbow bolt thru the ribs fired at night from a thicket), remember that in such a scenario, while from an D&D standpoint the Renegade would get to roll for surprise, would have the hit points to withstand such a blow. In reality, such a crossbow strike could probably end the renegade's reign of whatever on the spot. So I see it as practical.

2) Or are this renagade hunters mercenaries hired by the tower? which I would find odd, because I would
expect that a mage-problem would be solved by mages of the tower themself and not by other people.
3) What kind of training would a mage have to get to become a renegade hunter?

Thanks in advance for all the anwsers and theories
Bart"

I don't know if you are into HARRY POTTER or not, but the Renegade Hunters remind me a lot of the Auror's office, wizards trained to go after Dark Wizards. They are given great leeway, including the usage of dark magic against dark wizards in pursuit of them if needed. BUt be that aside, I would imagine, that the renegade hunters are not something you just "do on a whim". I think that the Renegade Hunters at least pre-Chaos War/Pre-Lost Battles would probably be answerable to the Tower of High Sorcery in their region. While I think all wizards to a point are obligated to stop a renegade if in their area and is actively doing things against the usage of magic, I think more wizards have business doing other things would rather hand it off to a renegade hunter then deal with it themselves.

Take in BROTHER IN ARMS, that one magic-user, whom did not take the test, is tutoring Raistlin on how to use magic as so far as how to do it in battle. Raist had taken his Test, this guy had not. Raist was aware that this guy if he used magic of a certain level that he was in violation of the tenets of the Orders of High Sorcery. As it was, the guy was relatively low level (probably a lv 4 wizard/lv something else).

Errant Crownguard
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Because Dragonlance was originally made during the days of 1E, when wizards could only use staves and daggers as weapons. I'm assuming the concept of a 'renegade hunter' wasn't added to the series until 3E, when wizards were granted a much larger weapon selection.

DmJoeSolarte
05-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Well they could always use weapons aside from staffs or daggers, but would suffer a huge non-proficiency penalty back in 1st Edition. In later editions, that changed up a little. It was possible later to give a wizard proficiency in swords or whatever (but why?)