PDA

View Full Version : An Clerical Conduit..

OldschoolDL
01-02-2005, 08:28 PM
There was a storyline in the Mists of Krynn called the Valley of the Worm. about Zahkar Dwarves Cult to the Great Worm, a Overly Large and dangerous Worm that has a innate ability for Continual Darkness and a AC of -10. Now the main bad guys were clerics to the worm and actually had Clerical power, even though this would be considered Heathen Practices...

So I had an idea for my game. I plan on running a Modified version of the Valley of the Worm, but the clerics of the Worm do have Clerical powers, but the reason is, the Worm is NOT the God supplying them power, but rather the Worm is an Avatar Conduit of the true god who grants their few clerics power and heals them of the Mold plague to prove its power. that god would be Hiddukuk god of Mischief. I don't think he'd mind to cause chaos amongst his favorite target like Reorx by having forgotten dwarves worship some big worm and actually recieve clerical powers from.

Would this idea fly?

Uziel
01-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Ah, the good old Cult of the Worm. I always did like that adventure.

I agree that it makes much more sense to have a god 'behind the scenes' rather than the worm supplying power. However would it not make more sense to have Morgion as the 'benefactor' instead. He controls disease and loves to pervert and twist things. It is also his typical nature to have dark cults running around, so this would be exactly his kind of thing.

sticko_69
01-02-2005, 10:08 PM
that makes a lot of sense i was wondering how it was possible that they could have powers cause DL isnt really for having demi gods etc.

though i never liked the idea of a giant worm surely a beter avatar would be chocen like a dragon or a ogre titian not a worm

Uziel
01-02-2005, 10:34 PM
that makes a lot of sense i was wondering how it was possible that they could have powers cause DL isnt really for having demi gods etc.

though i never liked the idea of a giant worm surely a beter avatar would be chocen like a dragon or a ogre titian not a worm

Actually bear in mind the timeframe in which this adventure was written. It predates ogre titans by many years, and at the time, the usage of demigods in DL was not established as being ruled out. Hence why folks like Bast, Artha, Malfesus and Jiathuli all came about not long afterwards.

OldschoolDL
01-02-2005, 11:55 PM
The Storyline of the Cult of the Worm is basically the Dwarves of Zhakar at the time thought the world outside their mountain halls were destroyed by the Catacyclsm and so the True gods destroyed the world in their belief.

The reasons I picked Hiddukuk is that even though Morgion or Chemosh for that matter would make more sense.....however they have the arrogance that would force their servants to know their true God they worship.

Hiddukuk on the other hand I don't think would give a darn that his Conduit was a big worm. In fact since he loves to mess with Reorx He might think its pretty funny that a bunch of Dwarves who thought Reorx forgot them, started worshipping a WORM! So why not says Hiddukuk filtering clerical powers to the dwarves. He grants only a few dwarves clerical power and cured them of the mold plague in order to properly lead the others. Hiddukuk just using the Dwarven followers of the Worm as puppets for amusement, not true worshipers, he has that with the other races. Through the worm the Clerics receive omens the sight that the world is not destroyed, but that the Worm must be fed by the flesh of non believers.
Basically Chaos Mayhem and Slavery n Slaughter of outsiders of Zhakar to the Worm's appetite.

Weldon Chen
01-03-2005, 02:23 AM
The Storyline of the Cult of the Worm is basically the Dwarves of Zhakar at the time thought the world outside their mountain halls were destroyed by the Catacyclsm and so the True gods destroyed the world in their belief.

personally, I've made comments that the Worm could be the Coil from Reavers of the Blood sea. And if that connection held up, the Worm could be a Demi-god of Chaos.

Just food for thought.

Weldon

OldschoolDL
01-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I just assume the Worm itself the physical being was one of those worms that dug out the dwarven cities just got overgrown and cast in a Perminent continual Darkness.

from the readings of this worm, it is unintelligent to the point of just being instictive in moving towards heat and eating.

I don't think it would be some demi god....especially since im writing him in 1 year after the War of the Lance.

marius
01-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi oldschool. I believe it's your "heals them of the Mold plague to prove its power" that makes Morgion seem more likely, since IIRC Morgion cursed the Zhakar with the plague in the first place and then lifted it in the AoM---err wait, was that Severus Stonehand?
On the other hand, it actually seems like a clever twist to have Hiddukel step in among this group of Zhakar and sneak their worship away from both Morgion and Reorx. :cool:

OldschoolDL
01-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Well there is of course a bigger story as to why Hiddukuk.

My epic has three main Enemies, two divine, Chemosh and Morgion, and Semi Mortal< Galen Dracos and the Renegade followers.

Their plan is through the rediscovered Emerald Sphere is that Chemosh and Morgion will cross the Planes and stand upon the Earth of Krynn in Full Glory. Once thats done Galen will be Ascended into Godhood as the only God of Magic of Krynn in their Post Apocalyptic World. With their power on Krynn Concentrated and Solidified, they will Blot out the influnce of the other Gods of Krynn simply because their presence on the Mortal Plane prevents the others from entering or defeat them.

But how can they do this?

How can they perform these acts in direction Defiance to Takhisis and the gods of all alignments? Simple ..... there is one being Immortal who can Snow all the Gods.
HIDDUKUK!

Simply because it amuses him, Hiddukuk is keeping the rest of the Gods in the dark as to the true intentions of the Unholy alliance, as they move their pieces across the chess board of Krynn. It is been said that Takhisis has been lulled before by Hiddukuk into believing whatever he claims. Same goes for the other gods, even if suspicious of the fact he is the Bold face God of False Promises, contracts, Dark deals etc etc etc. Hiddukuk can convince all that the Sun shall rise at Midnight.

Why Hiddukuk would be the one Filter his power through the Great worm into the Morgionite Cursed Dwarves of Zhakar? As a Boon, a personal amusement that Morgion allows Hiddukuk to have. Hiddukuk has been a quasi feud with Reorx since the forging of the Gray Stone of Gargath. Hiddukuk is the unbalanced scale and will do anything to insult and disrespect Reorx. So he would without a doubt take a bunch of Faithless Zakhar Dwarves who believe themselves alone in the Blasted Post Catacyclsmic world and Make them believe some Great Monsterous Worm of the Natural world is in fact a Deity to worship. He filters his power through Cures the clerics and pass False omens through them to rouse the Zahkar dwarves into a frenzy. Once again, for no other reason than it being a big joke for Hiddukuk. Reorx's own dwarves running around with Worm holy symbols, hunting down non Zhakar dwarves and feeding them to their "God" Hiddukuk makes them see the world is infact still around beyond their borders, but the Gods had abandoned the People and they turned into Heathen Non believers. Zakhars are then to enslave those who are strong to rebuild their great halls, and then Feed the sick the tired to the worm so that More Zakhar Dwarves can be cured and recieve powers as Clerics. So its almost a Driving addiction to the Mold ridden Zahkar dwarves of the cult to find outsiders and try to prove their Faith by butchering all they find to feed them to the "God" Worm.

Once the party, with the help of a certain Dougan Redhammer, Dispatches this Mortal Worm. Hiddukuk appears. He will assume an mock expression of being impressed and offers the Party to ask 10 questions for the Divine truth that requires only a yes or a no. though being the God of Lies, not every if any question shall be true. However if pressed. Hiddukuk reminds them that Divine knowledge is not something any mortal not even most clerics receieve, even a Divine Lie is more valuable than some Poultry Mortal one. It is a risk to take.

I haven't decided yet if Hiddukuk will actually be the main force that convinced Morgion and Chemosh to begin their Plans. In fact this whole thing perhaps was hiddukuk's doing to once again.......Make him laugh. Would be kinda ironic...don't you think?

Cam Banks
01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Hiddukuk sounds a little like Habbakuk and Hiddukel fused together, OldSchool. Remember the -kel at the end, not the -kuk.

Cheers,
Cam

OldschoolDL
01-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Hiddukuk sounds a little like Habbakuk and Hiddukel fused together, OldSchool. Remember the -kel at the end, not the -kuk.

Cheers,
Cam

its just another Gilean Gilead incident of Blasphamy ;)

its Hiddukel

Weldon Chen
01-04-2005, 12:32 AM
its just another Gilean Gilead incident of Blasphamy ;)

its Hiddukel

And I might add, who's not to say that Hiddukel won't call Himself Hiddukuk to cause mass confusion.

Hiddukel: bow before me, Hiddukuk, for your god has come to save the worthy!

Zhakar Stooge: Holy god! are you the legendary god of good nature?!

Hiddukel: Sure. Why not?

:D
Weldon

OldschoolDL
01-04-2005, 01:34 AM
heh good point.

for some reason the endings of the gods names give me trouble Hiddukel and Gilean

come out Hiddukuk and Gilead in my quasi warped sight

OldschoolDL
01-05-2005, 03:12 AM
great the thread grinds to a halt all due to my Typonese :(