PDA

View Full Version : Most Unusual Parties

OldschoolDL
08-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Ok a revival of my thread from a year ago. What was the most unusual group you played or DM in...

current group for me . actually my party split up into two units for my epic scenero.

(Group 1)
Milas the Minotaur Barbarian
Isabel Minotaur female Fighter/Cleric of Kiri-Jolith
Rosman Human Knight of the Crown (originally from Northern Ergoth causes alot of tension)
Orlando Kender Thief/Cleric of Sirrion
Dread Kagonesti Elven Thief/Cleric of Chemosh
Brianna Human (Dwarven raised) Female Cleric of Reorx
Salana Irda Red Robe mage
Argent Blackhammer Hylar Dwarven Fighter/Thief
Malec Qualinesti elven Blackrobe/Fighter (Deathstalker)
(No Named) Flind Warrior
Bromwyn Firbolg Female Barbarian
Tara Goodwyn female Cleric of Paladine

(Group 2)
Riven Patol Silvanesti Elven White Robe/Cleric of Kiri-Jolith
Sir Fallion Quickstrike (originally raised in Kern) Knight of the Sword
T`Pol Qualinesti Elven Female Red Robe/Cleric of Chislev
Lithrond Half Elven male Fighter/Cleric of Zeboim
Ornoff Half-Elf Redrobe/Fighter
Katriona Female Centaur Fighter/White Robe
Delilah Half Silvanesti/Kagonesti (Raised a branded slave) Fighter/Assassin/Black Robe
Kaster Malcom Dantoni Human Cleric of Paladine
(NPC)
Mordor Kagonesti Elven Fighter/Thief

What about you all?

person with the stuff
08-25-2004, 08:49 PM
That's alota PC's.

I guess my weirdest is the one i got goin now

Human male fighter (going for steel leigonaire)
Minotuar male Barbarian (from Karthay)
Human male Red Robe
Kender rogue (sure to die soon)

Ogre_Bane
08-26-2004, 01:15 AM
In my current Forgotten Realms campaign, I have the following:

Gopeshikus, gnome illusionist
Radikus, gnome rogue
Xythan, human cleric of Tyr
Finneas, human monk
Unnamed halfling ranger

So, it's attack of the little people! I don't know what their obsession of gnomes are.... :rolleyes:

Maglaurus
08-26-2004, 02:13 AM
My current group of adventurers are a little mismatched:

Mortan Forgehammer: Daewar Cleric, Crusader for Reorx
Caelumnostrum, etc.: Gnome Wizard/Scholar*, Lifequesting Biologist
Dee Sidethorn: Kender Rogue/Fighter, Ambitious Adventurer
Vallanidal "Wyvrenheart": Kagonesti Barbarian/Mystic, Slave turned Revolutionary
Jassalatar (a.k.a. Tarsen): Half-Elf** Bard, Duelist, Musician, and Satirist (of his own party)
Kie: Kharolian Fighter, AWOL Petitioner of the Knights of Neraka

*This is a class I created that serves a function similar to the " Master" core class from the WotL sourcebook. Now that WotL is coming out though we are considering switching his "Scholar" levels to "Master" levels.
**Jassalatar is actually an Aesthetic ghost (in life a Silvanesti Elf) who is fond of "skin-riding" his subjects of historical study. When Jassalatar suddenly possessed the body of a roguish Half-Elf who was fleeing the Knights of Neraka the event caused him to loose his memory and the knowledge of how to escape his host's body. Only Aesthetic monks can tell that "Tarsen" is possessed.

Cheers,

Maglaurus

FuriousDestinyKnight
08-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Well their was that New Years Eve party last year which...
Ohhh you meant that I played in Dragonlance.

Ratychet Gnome Fighter (Full Name to Long to Pronouce.)
Tethlias Windrider Elven White Robed Wizard (eventully killed by above gnomes Dragonslayer weapon turns out medievil lawnmowers aint that good)
Pidiras Kastor Human Knight of Solamania (lost arm in said battle with gnome and dragon)
Springy Lightjumper the Third Kender Rogue (called himself the third cause it sounded good.)
Ugg Gully Dwarf Barbarian (had a penchant for wearing sheepskin hence his name.)
Katan Minotaur Fighter (died after pickin fight with 12 draconions and gloating about his impending victory)

Darcwulf
08-26-2004, 05:31 AM
From an old 2ed Campaign.... :rolleyes:

Wynn - Kagonesti female Ranger
Bron Thunderfist -Dwarf paladin
Boom-Boom - Gnome fighter/tinker firearms expert
Douglas Copperglen - Kender handler/wizard (not his real name he changed it to get from under the shadow of a more famous relative. He did eventually take the test but only after the WoHS had teleported him to the tower, he kept getting side tracked. :D )

Steel_Wind
08-26-2004, 08:24 AM
"Knights of the Lance"

Preston of Caergoth - Half elven bard/ranger (2/1)
Petronius of Palanthus: Human white Robe Wizard (Wiz4/Wohs 0)
Tobbin Wanderfoot: Kender rogue (3)
Teleri of Haven: Human Red Robed Wizard (Wiz4/Wohs0)
Lucius Stormblade: Human fighter (Squire of the Crown)(3)
Draegen Stormblade Human fighter (Squire of the Crown) (3)
Grogaur of Garnet: Dwarven fighter (3)
Yarken of Storm's End: Human Ranger (2)
NPC: Stonesong of Que-Kiri: Human *unknown* ??

High Tech Campaign Log: http://www.dladventures.com/gallery/public/DL_log3.pdf

Current Campaign: Lemish - 23 Newkolt 351 A.C.

Certainly not an odd party, but the Stormblade brothers and circumstances through which the party's tale leads to adventure is interesting.

I await the delivery of my WotL hardcover this weekend wherein Lemish will be detailed differently than I have done and I will pronounce the book *heresy*. :D

snifferdoo
08-26-2004, 08:37 AM
I think the oddest party would have to be the one I ran a Demo Game for, heh.

A human Ranger and a Human Rogue.. ok they aren't that weird but with Humans nothing is very weird.

Elven Whiterobe... ok that's also expected.

A gnomish fighter with a toolbelt, not only does he fight, but he also created small devices to pull down doors. :)

A kender chorister, not so much strange as new I guess. I want to play one of these some time...

A Klar dwarf druid. Yup a dwarven druid and of all the mountian dwarves the Klar make a good fit.

Nightweasel
08-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Well, it was a few years ago. I don't remember most of the names, but we sort of did our own WotL type game. There was the human paladin of KiriJolith (Caramon's replacement), his evil brother the wizard (Raistlin's), a kagonesti dark elf which was mine, not sure who's replacement I was, lol, Tika an npc who had a thing for my character...more on that later, human ranger who took Riverwind's place in the party, and as Goldmoon's beloved.....more on that later, and then Lyim the kender.

Aside from have Verminaard's dragon wipe out Tanis and Riverwind, the game was pretty much by the books.....sort of, lol. Anyways, what made the game was the kender. He had this thing for hand puppets. One game the mage wakes up and the DM passes him a note, he reads it, then notices that his black robes are all cut up. He's furious and looks around, and sure enough there's the kender with a new black robed wizard hand puppet performing a show for the townsfolk. Of course his favorite shows were of my character and Tika just to piss me off.

This is the kender that dropped Lord Soth. We were fighthing him in Palanthis along with his skeletal warriors and a balor. Well, somehow we defeated everyone but Soth. Soth killed the human ranger who actually beheaded the balor with his own vorpal sword. Soth blinded the kender who then struck out and hit me......dropping me out of combat. But then Soth ignored the kender for something else, and the kender struck out blindly.......rolling a critical and dropped Soth!

This is also the kender that loved to steal things from me personally and noone else. One game period we're riding in a wagon and I'm looking for something and can't find it, so naturally I blame the kender. We're looking right at each other and he says "I wouldn't steal from you" and immediately reaches out and steals something out of my pack right in front of me....the sad thing being that he made his roll and I didn't so I didn't even see him do it! I'm not even going to mention what he did with the lyre of building. That was probably one of the most fun games I've ever played in just for Lyim the kender, marvelously played by my friend. He was a kender, but not your average kender if there is such a thing.

Evilboy
08-26-2004, 09:12 AM
I would have to say that the game I am DMing has a weird party.

Title: Dragons of an Approaching Storm

The Characters:

Deneika Morningdove: Female Human Bard
Fadanthalas "Fadan" Tanall Male Half-Elven Knight of the Skull
Fanarra D'Rhavney Female Human Noble Mariner
Gideon "Rigger" uth Merril Male Half-Kender Noble Rouge
Niall Meatha Male Human Cleric of Gilean
PhoenixGlade Male Kagonesti Elven Ranger for the Legion of Steel
Solarinas Male Qualinesti Elven White Robed Wizard of High Sorcery
Torchak "Torch" de Sumarr Male Minotaur Fighter/Mage (Soon to be a Wizard of High Sorcery)

Cam Banks
08-26-2004, 09:35 AM
My current group is at least as odd as any listed here, I would suggest:

Kiro Dorova, human male diviner4/master 2/wizard of High Sorcery (White) 2
Katja Dorova, human female fighter 6/marshal 2
Etharion Cordaric, human male rogue 5/fighter 2/mariner 1
Elleneste "Stella" Cordaric, half-janni female akashic 3/swashbuckler 3/janni 2
Vanyalae "Vanya" Shadowbrow, Silvanesti elf male fighter 4/ranger 4
Kaide the Unrepentant, human male ranger 1/cleric of Majere 7
Therol Stonesplitter, Neidar dwarf male ranger 8

At one point they had a Kagonesti elf female barbarian, whose body is now the host to the Betrayer from Hurim, and an afflicted half-kender male favored soul of Habbakuk, who was called into the Desolation by his god and parted ways with the other characters.

Cheers,
Cam

flint
08-26-2004, 10:26 AM
The group I am running isn't really weird but there are some interesting dynamics in the group:

Minotaur Male Fighter (LG)
Silvanesti Male White Robe (LG)
Kagonesti Female Druid (TN)
Human Male KoS (Clandestine Circle) (LG)
Human Male Cleric of Mishakal (NG)
Half-Elf Female Cleric of Mishakal (LG)
Half-Elf Female Sorceror/Mystic (CN)

The half-elves are twins. There is a lot of conflict in the group. The Silvanesti starts most of it with his animosity towards the minotaur, disdain for the sorceror, and superiority complex with the Kagonesti.

Dragonhelm
08-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Here’s what we had from my friend’s old Cataclysm-era game (The Fallen):

Lord John Dragonhelm – Immortal Knight of the Crown who followed the Measure in spirit. The night of the Cataclysm, he was trapped under a boulder with his 9-month pregnant wife, only able to stare at her dead eyes the entire night. He wishes he could die, but is cursed to live forever.

Sir Paladian Dragonhelm – Knight of the Crown who followed the Measure to the letter. Died in battle against a rogue knight.

Nighthawk – Kagonesti beastmaster, once possessed by the spirit of a black robed mage.

Jonas Steelforge – Dwarf bard. This was in 2e, prior to the time that bards cast wild sorcery.

Pullaven Pran – Kender who had his tongue cut out. For all intents and purposes, he was an afflicted kender.

Darmok – Minotaur fighter, former slave of Istar. His former ball-and-chain served as his weapon.

Adriani – Irda, born the night of the Cataclysm and raised by a human wizard. In 2e he was a bard/wizard. In 3e, he’s a wizard/WoHS/Loremaster.

We had a bunch of others, since there was a high mortality rate in this game. It was a ton of fun, though.

Ogre_Bane
08-26-2004, 04:43 PM
"Knights of the Lance"

High Tech Campaign Log: http://www.dladventures.com/gallery/public/DL_log3.pdf

Current Campaign: Lemish - 23 Newkolt 351 A.C.

Holy crap! :eek: That's a really nice thing, Steel_Wind! I've been doing a "Newsletter" for a few months now for each session of mine, but this just blows it out of the water! How do you do it?

Eaglos
08-26-2004, 05:20 PM
That was a long time ago when we still had 2nd edition DnD...

1. Kender geometer
2. Centaur thief
3. Minotaur poet
4. Gnome assasin

iltharanos
08-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Back in 3.0 and before DLCS was released, this was my weird party (translated into 3.5 DLCS terms):

Tandal: NE male Silvanesti dark elf Wizard/Black Robe (okay, not so odd, but check out his companions)

Flytrap Dirtybeard: CN (CE when Amergin was not around) male Gully dwarf Barbarian/Fighter (Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 9)

Amergin: N (with evil tendencies) male Ice Folk human Barbarian/Fighter/Bard (i allowed bards the use of healing spells, as this was the only way this party of three could obtain magical healing ... aside from NPC aid, which given their number of enemies was not likely)

Giorgio
08-26-2004, 06:03 PM
To add to the list of strange parties, this is what I have so far in my Novus Principium Campaign (346AC):

Alissa 2nd lv Female Qualinesti Rogue
Almaia 1st lv Female Irda (Qualinesti Elf) Bard
Drakar 1st lv Male Dwarf Ranger
Lia 1st lv Female Half-Elf Wizard
Kiara 3rd lv Female Human Warmage
Nicholas 2nd lv Male Human Wolf Knight
Oggok 2nd lv Male Ogre Barbarian
Tahngarth 2nd lv Male Minotaur Fighter

Alissa is a paranoid elf that has had nothing but problems with Tahngarth (who sees her as inferior) and Oggok (who is extremely pissed that she treats him like a dumb child) since she joined the party. She is a master with the bow, and light fingered (she made off with a treasure chest of loot without the rest of the party noticing).

Almaia is a wandering Irda bard currently passing off as a Qualinesti elf, she joined the group recently and has been given a cold shoulder by almost everyone except for Oggok, which finds something strange about this “funny elf” who speak High Ogre. She is also quite a firecracker sexually speaking, as she seduced an NPC in a memorable way.

Drakar is a short (and I mean SHORT) dwarf ranger that has left his mountain homeland in search of experience, so that he can come back one day a seasoned veteran, and try to earn his fathers respect (who doesn’t recognize him as his own son). He speaks with a loud whiny voice, and has an attitude. He also is a great smith, and he forged Oggok’s large masterwork heavy mace.

Lia is a quite soft spoken half elf wizard, hasn’t really clicked with the group one way or another. Has a familiar ferret named Mylo.

Kira is a female warmage, sister of Sturm Brightblade (16 year old male in my timeline), just came back from the Ergothian frontlines in the Goblin Wars. She is decked in elven weapons, armor and equipment (as a reward for saving an elven commander in a pivotal moment of the war). She is going to join the party next game, and the PCs will be surprised by her “interest” in all things pertaining to members of the fair sex.

Nicholas is a male Wolf Knight, one of the first to graduate from this new order of Knights, that has risen from the ashes of the now defunct Knights of Solamnia. He is a highly trained warrior (special forces equivalent), but seriously inexperienced in the ways of the world. He is adventuring to gain much needed experience.

Oggok is a CG 10 foot male ogre barbarian, who left his homeland in search of a better life. He has been a great asset to the group, and has made fast friends of the groups kender (before the player had to leave the game), and Drakar (who rides his shoulders all the time). He is very bright for an ogre (INT 10), but speaks in a funny way due to his poor grasp of the common language. This makes some PCs think he is stupid (especially Alissa), but other sees threw this language problem and treat his as an equal.

Tahngarth is an arrogant, racial supremacists, and tough male minotaur fighter. On the run from his homeland because his family worships the "heathen" religion of Kiri-Jolith, he is working as a mercenary in Abanasinia so as to escapes the grasps of the priest of Sargas. He is decked in his father’s +1 minotaur spiked full plate armor, and wields a masterwork greataxe in battle. On the battlefield he is an unstoppable force. When he actually hits something that is. (Grin)

George

Steel_Wind
08-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Holy crap! :eek: That's a really nice thing, Steel_Wind! I've been doing a "Newsletter" for a few months now for each session of mine, but this just blows it out of the water! How do you do it? Actually, it's a lot easier than it looks. (There are some typos on that one I got to fix though).

That's done in Word, imported into MS Publisher, saved out in .ps format and Acrotray handles conversion straight to pdf. poof - you are done.

Pagemaker allows for some more powerful formatting which I am using for modules (there are page limits in MS Publisher which are inconvenient) - but for a campaign journal - MS Publisher is just fine. Its *very* fast and remarkably easy.

More importantly, we are trying to get that exact style of template for our online Campaign Journal feature for all DMs on our forthcoming DL PnP page.

The plan is to allow that exact same output to pdf by automatic heading formatting so that every DL DM can get a campaign journal that looks like that with a simple text file and a few clicks, right online on your campaign page on our site.

Add in some auto map referencing (we are working on that too) and other DL clip art and its a very cool feature for ppl to have for their campaigns.

Don't know if you noticed, but at the very end on page 9, there is a reproduction of a letter the PC prepared and delivered "in game" in case they didn't come back. The coolness of the log inspired him to take the time to write the letter in script and seal it with a dragon wax seal.

He evidently melted some birthday candles and used a dragon engraving on some Franklin Mint daggr he had to do the seal.

The seal was so cool I had to scan it and put it in the log to preserve it for posterity. :D

Anyways, a sharp looking log enhances play, underscores the underlying plot of the campaign and is fun for players to get, print off and keep with theircharacter sheet in a binder. It's working well for us so far.

Ogre_Bane
08-26-2004, 08:33 PM
(i allowed bards the use of healing spells, as this was the only way this party of three could obtain magical healing ... aside from NPC aid, which given their number of enemies was not likely)

Couldn't bards use healing spells even back in 3.0?

Ogre_Bane
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Actually, it's a lot easier than it looks. (There are some typos on that one I got to fix though).

That's done in Word, imported into MS Publisher, saved out in .ps format and Acrotray handles conversion straight to pdf. poof - you are done.

Pagemaker allows for some more powerful formatting which I am using for modules (there are page limits in MS Publisher which are inconvenient) - but for a campaign journal - MS Publisher is just fine. Its *very* fast and remarkably easy.

More importantly, we are trying to get that exact style of template for our online Campaign Journal feature for all DMs on our forthcoming DL PnP page.

The plan is to allow that exact same output to pdf by automatic heading formatting so that every DL DM can get a campaign journal that looks like that with a simple text file and a few clicks, right online on your campaign page on our site.

Add in some auto map referencing (we are working on that too) and other DL clip art and its a very cool feature for ppl to have for their campaigns.

Don't know if you noticed, but at the very end on page 9, there is a reproduction of a letter the PC prepared and delivered "in game" in case they didn't come back. The coolness of the log inspired him to take the time to write the letter in script and seal it with a dragon wax seal.

He evidently melted some birthday candles and used a dragon engraving on some Franklin Mint daggr he had to do the seal.

The seal was so cool I had to scan it and put it in the log to preserve it for posterity. :D

Anyways, a sharp looking log enhances play, underscores the underlying plot of the campaign and is fun for players to get, print off and keep with theircharacter sheet in a binder. It's working well for us so far.

Sounds awesome. Let me know when things get finalized. I'd love to try it out for my campaigns! :D

iltharanos
08-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Couldn't bards use healing spells even back in 3.0?

Yep. Bards, however, can't normally make use of healing spells per the DLCS.