PDA

View Full Version : A DragonLance Atlas

Dominion
08-25-2004, 06:57 AM
Hi, So this is my first post in this forum that is.
I am/was a bit disappointed by the lag of maps and geography details in the Campaign setting.
I would have likede more detaild maps, Where roads path ways, where shown, and maps over the biggest cities.

Do you think there is any hope of getting a new atlas for DragonLance, and hopefully a better one then the last.

Jamie
08-25-2004, 07:59 AM
I am/was a bit disappointed by the lag of maps and geography details in the Campaign setting.
I would have likede more detaild maps, Where roads path ways, where shown, and maps over the biggest cities.

Do you think there is any hope of getting a new atlas for DragonLance, and hopefully a better one then the last.

We do have plans for map-based products next year. Stay tuned for more announcements!

Arek Brimstone
08-25-2004, 11:12 AM
We do have plans for map-based products next year.Products!?! Plural? Okay, Jamie...you definately have my attention. :D

Ogre_Bane
08-25-2004, 01:48 PM
I think it'd be great for them to do a "Map Folio" thing like what WotC is doing now. Have maps of certain cities, local maps, dungeons, etc.

I also think a re-do of The Atlas of the Dragonlance World would be pretty cool too.

DaemonAngel
08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Products!?! Plural? Okay, Jamie...you definately have my attention. :D

Oh yes, definitely :D

Raistlinrox
08-25-2004, 02:49 PM

Better than the last?? Was there something horribly wrong with most of the Atlas' out there that was edited out of my copy, because I seem to remember mine being pretty damn useful!

DaemonAngel
08-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Better than the last?? Was there something horribly wrong with most of the Atlas' out there that was edited out of my copy, because I seem to remember mine being pretty damn useful!
Whatever comes out thats loaded with maps for DL, you'll bet fans will be after it faster then a troup of wonderlust kender.

OldschoolDL
08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
since Krynn is so vast will there be any work mapwise or book/gaming wise in the other continents of krynn. It can't be just Ansalon, Taladas and the land the Brutes came from. And are they ever gonna go into Taladis again they made such a rich history for it (In fact Taladis being the places where the Graystone was released and the first Minotaurs were created there.)

iltharanos
08-25-2004, 05:28 PM
since Krynn is so vast will there be any work mapwise or book/gaming wise in the other continents of krynn. It can't be just Ansalon, Taladas and the land the Brutes came from. And are they ever gonna go into Taladis again they made such a rich history for it (In fact Taladis being the places where the Graystone was released and the first Minotaurs were created there.)

There is a Taladas novel due out in April of 2005 and there are plans for a Taladas gaming supplement after the Taladas trilogy of novels concludes. Don't know about the rest.

person with the stuff
08-25-2004, 09:20 PM
I wasn't too pleased with the maps either. For example, Where is Haven? And shouodn't the Lake of death be near the center of Qualinesti(You know, like where Qualinost used to be), cause on the map it isn't even in qualinesti!

druid_woods
08-25-2004, 11:50 PM
I have heard that some if the citys are in different spot also so a atlas would be very nice

Dominion
08-26-2004, 06:58 AM

Well it was ok, but when i look in it i find it very confusing.

We do have plans for map-based products next year. Stay tuned for more announcements!

That sound exelent, I have a suggestion. Could you add a CD to the Book where the maps where on? because most time when I handout out maps, I have to use a copymachine, and I would love to get the digital maps, so one could print out the very specifik parts you want to hand out to your players.

If the maps where layered then it would be awsome.

I know there is copyprotection thing here, but I am sure you could make som registration scheme so that one would require the book, to use the CD.

druid_woods
09-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Adding a CD would be a great addtion i think

WildKnight
09-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Adding a CD would be a great addtion i think

I third that motion. A CD with printable maps would be great.

Dominion
09-04-2004, 06:19 AM
A CD with the maps on would be very nice. you would be able to edit them too fit your campagin.

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 07:19 AM
CD with the maps would be very nice. And it would be nice because you would be abel to add your own custom cities and such to the maps.

Ohhh... yeah. That *would* be a great feature. :)

Madrigal of the Ogre
09-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Adding a CD would be a great addtion i thinkAgreed. Excellent idea -- and way more useful than a printed atlas.

Columbia Games and ProFantasy both have "source maps" out / coming out on CD which SovPress / WotC should be looking at a prototypes for their own product lines. I've purchased / pre-purchased both -- and can't say enough good things about both.

I purchased ProFantasy's "Castle: Source Maps" download, its GREAT. Well worth the money IMO. Lots of details on over 20 castles -- customizable if you have CC2Pro. It ships with the viewer, so no need to buy any other software. :)

Columbia Games is launching a series of "atlas entries" for HARN (using the CC2 base-format), the first of which is Kanday -- also a GREAT format for an atlas.

SovPress could put out maps based on regions in the same way Columbia Games is doing for HARN -- region by region -- with the ability to zoon right into details. And a download would make this whole thing way more useful/accessible. And note, providing it is this format keeps costs under control -- Kanday is only $23USD -- a download could even be cheaper.

Have a peek at HARN's Kandy pre-order page for details on this amazing product:
http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=5911

I really think SovPress should take a look at this technology if they are serious about providing a Dragonlance Atlas.

http://www.columbiagames.com/pix/5911atlas-thumb.jpg

SweetMeats
09-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Whats really needed is 3 maps of Ansalon... pre-catcalysm, WotL era, and AoM era.

Anubis.c.k
09-04-2004, 02:24 PM
yeh pre cat would be good know if anythings being released on this period as well

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Whats really needed is 3 maps of Ansalon... pre-catcalysm, WotL era, and AoM era.

If it were done as software (which seems to be the way to go), it could include all 3. I'd be a bit put off by having to buy 3 seperate atlases anyway.

Dominion
09-04-2004, 03:21 PM
I am not a big fan of the CC2 maps, they seem to "flat", both color and Texture seem dull to me.

I like RPG maps to be more like they where made by hand. it helps setting the players up for the game.

But if they where on a CD, it would just be great.

SweetMeats
09-04-2004, 07:42 PM
If it were done as software (which seems to be the way to go), it could include all 3. I'd be a bit put off by having to buy 3 seperate atlases anyway.

They don't need to be book's. I would be really pleased with fold out maps. It would be cool if they were the size yout can hang on the wall and all three came in a rolled tube. Thats what I would like to see.

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 07:46 PM
They don't need to be book's. I would be really pleased with fold out maps. It would be cool if they were the size yout can hang on the wall and all three came in a rolled tube. Thats what I would like to see.

That wouldn't be that great as a RPing resource (not everyone has wallspace to hang things near their gaming space), but as a collectors item, that would rock! Ive already got maps of Middle Earth, the Star Wars Galaxy, and my homebrewed setting on the walls of my bedroom (very understanding wife).

SweetMeats
09-04-2004, 07:52 PM
That wouldn't be that great as a RPing resource (not everyone has wallspace to hang things near their gaming space), but as a collectors item, that would rock! Ive already got maps of Middle Earth, the Star Wars Galaxy, and my homebrewed setting on the walls of my bedroom (very understanding wife).

Failing that, something about the size of the fold out Ansalon map that came with the 2nd ed Dragonlance box set (sadly mine fell apart recently :( ).

Chakarum
09-23-2004, 03:15 AM
I really wish they would do a CD-Rom Atlas for Dragonlance like they did for Forgotten Realms a few years back. A full globe, where you can zoom in on the continents, then specific countries, then regions, cities, even down to city blocks (in some cases). And they can even show us the landmasses for all of Krynn, even if they are not mapped (FR Atlas did this, and it allowed us to use several new lands for our own campaigns just by filling in the spaces). Plus, we would be able to see all of the eras, the maps of Taladas, and the cities. Yes, this would be a lot of work, but I for one would be more than eager to pay for it! I wouldn't even mind contributing!

iltharanos
09-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Perhaps some graphically-talented fan could provide a map. I know that one or two fans over on the Eberron site created some damn impressive maps in the recent past ...

Dominion
09-27-2004, 02:11 AM
We can just hope that somebody see this and take notice.