PDA

View Full Version : Prestige classes and whatnot from War of the Lance

Mícheál
08-24-2004, 06:41 AM
Please, those of you who possess the book, share with us some of the contents! I'm mostly interested in what prestige classes the book has, but whatever monsters and classic magic items the book has are also an interest of mine.

Also, what level are the companions? If you can, also reveal classes and alignments. I'm going to be running the original DL modules in 3.5, and I'd like to know this so I can describe the characters to the players.

Cam Banks
08-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Please, those of you who possess the book, share with us some of the contents! I'm mostly interested in what prestige classes the book has, but whatever monsters and classic magic items the book has are also an interest of mine.

Also, what level are the companions? If you can, also reveal classes and alignments. I'm going to be running the original DL modules in 3.5, and I'd like to know this so I can describe the characters to the players.

Prestige classes: chorister, dragon highlord, gnomish tinker, handler, minotaur marauder.

All of the original Innfellows are in the book, described as they are right before they head to Pax Tharkas and after Xak Tsaroth. They're 6th-level characters, even Tika and Gilthanas.

Cheers,
Cam

Mícheál
08-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Do they still possess the following classes and alignments:

Tanis: NG fighter
Caramon: LG fighter
Raistlin: N wizard (is he a generalist?)
Sturm: LG fighter
Goldmoon: LG cleric (I suspect it is so, since her alignment in Age of Mortals was LG)
Riverwind: LG ranger
Flint: NG fighter
Tasslehoff: N rogue
Tika: NG rogue/fighter
Gilthanas: CG fighter/wizard

:confused:

Cam Banks
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Do they still possess the following classes and alignments:

Tanis: NG fighter
Caramon: LG fighter
Raistlin: N wizard (is he a generalist?)
Sturm: LG fighter
Goldmoon: LG cleric (I suspect it is so, since her alignment in Age of Mortals was LG)
Riverwind: LG ranger
Flint: NG fighter
Tasslehoff: N rogue
Tika: NG rogue/fighter
Gilthanas: CG fighter/wizard

For the most part these are correct. Flint now has levels in the master class. Tasslehoff has levels in the handler prestige class, Raistlin has a level in wizard of High Sorcery, Riverwind is a barbarian/ranger, and Gilthanas is a noble/wizard/fighter. Tasslehoff is neutral good, not neutral, but most of the other alignments should not have changed by much if any.

Cheers,
Cam

Omote
08-24-2004, 09:37 AM
I just wanted to comment on the WotL book for a sec. I appologize for saying this to many of the devoted fans who couldn't make GenCon this year...

WAR OF THE LANCE... R O C K S ! ! !

What a great book. I'm only 50 or so pages into it, but what a joy to read. A great looking book, with fine layout and excellent artwork. It's just THAT good IMO.

............................Omote
FPQ

Omote
08-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Oh, and the new MASTER [CORE] Class is quite cool. A very nice class to fit into the Age of Despair era.

.......................................Omote
FPQ

DmJoeSolarte
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Do they show the "Evolution" of the Hero's of the Lance as the books go on? For example, in the Star Wars Source Book, it continually updates the Hero's of the REbellion (Luke, Leia, Han, etc) with their stats right after Battle of Yavin, after THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACk, and at the end in RETURN OF THE JEDI, as well as even their stats in NEW JEDI ORDER. Something like that, where they show their stats and evolution from the time they meet up in the INN in Solace, all the way to their stats as they stagger out of the imploding TEMPLE OF THE QUEEN OF DARKNESS would be more substantial, I think.

Dragonhelm
08-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Do they show the "Evolution" of the Hero's of the Lance as the books go on? For example, in the Star Wars Source Book, it continually updates the Hero's of the REbellion (Luke, Leia, Han, etc) with their stats right after Battle of Yavin, after THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACk, and at the end in RETURN OF THE JEDI, as well as even their stats in NEW JEDI ORDER. Something like that, where they show their stats and evolution from the time they meet up in the INN in Solace, all the way to their stats as they stagger out of the imploding TEMPLE OF THE QUEEN OF DARKNESS would be more substantial, I think.

WotL is focused on this one time period, so there isn't a progression of stats like that. Some of these characters are in multiple eras as well, so their stats in other eras will be seen in other sourcebooks.

SweetMeats
08-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Whats the Master core class represent?

Evilboy
08-24-2004, 10:14 AM
The Chorister PrClass has me curious. What is that exactly?

Dragonhelm
08-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Questions, questions, questions!

The master core class is sort of the player character version of the expert. It can represent anything from smiths like Theros Ironfeld, to the aesthetics, to non-spellcasting bards, and so on and so forth. They get "knacks" that give them bonuses, depending on whether their focus is craft, perform, knowledge, or profession skills.

The chorister is a divine spellcasting class that is into spiritual music. It gets some nifty abilities as it progresses in level, not the least of which is access to bard spells.

Between the two, the role of a bard is covered nicely prior to the Age of Mortals, yet done in such a way as to not take away from the bard class itself. :cool:

Evilboy
08-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Questions, questions, questions!

The master core class is sort of the player character version of the expert. It can represent anything from smiths like Theros Ironfeld, to the aesthetics, to non-spellcasting bards, and so on and so forth. They get "knacks" that give them bonuses, depending on whether their focus is craft, perform, knowledge, or profession skills.

The chorister is a divine spellcasting class that is into spiritual music. It gets some nifty abilities as it progresses in level, not the least of which is access to bard spells.

Between the two, the role of a bard is covered nicely prior to the Age of Mortals, yet done in such a way as to not take away from the bard class itself. :cool:

Thanks for the update. I love the bard class so additions too, are always great. And I like the concept of a Master from a Role-playing aspect, since most characters aren't warriors or fighter etc when they receive the call to adventure. They are usually everyday, normal people.

Kendermage
08-24-2004, 02:11 PM
For the most part these are correct. Flint now has levels in the master class. Tasslehoff has levels in the handler prestige class, Raistlin has a level in wizard of High Sorcery, Riverwind is a barbarian/ranger, and Gilthanas is a noble/wizard/fighter. Tasslehoff is neutral good, not neutral, but most of the other alignments should not have changed by much if any.

Cheers,
Cam

Raistlin only has A level in WoHS? If all these characters are sixth level why does he not have two levels in WoHS and four in Wizard. He is eligible for the WoHS prestige class at Fifth level which would in fact give him access to two WoHS levels, unless he didn't meet the requirements until he achieved fifth level in which case you are correct. Also in Tales of the Lance and Dragonlance Classics Raistlin's Charisma score was 10, yet in Dragonlance Adventures his Charisma is 15, of course in DLA he is 20th level. I was just wondering if his Charisma score will stay the same as it was in the two previous sources I mentioned, will it mirror the latter source, or will it lie somewhere in between.

Cam Banks
08-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Raistlin only has A level in WoHS? If all these characters are sixth level why does he not have two levels in WoHS and four in Wizard. He is eligible for the WoHS prestige class at Fifth level which would in fact give him access to two WoHS levels, unless he didn't meet the requirements until he achieved fifth level in which case you are correct.

He didn't meet the requirements until 5th level, which is where he picked up another metamagic/item creation feat on top of Scribe Scroll. Raistlin has both Spellcasting Prodigy and Magical Aptitude so he couldn't meet the requirements until 5th (took Spell Focus at 3rd).

Cheers,
Cam

iltharanos
08-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Prestige classes: chorister, dragon highlord, gnomish tinker, handler, minotaur marauder.

All of the original Innfellows are in the book, described as they are right before they head to Pax Tharkas and after Xak Tsaroth. They're 6th-level characters, even Tika and Gilthanas.

Cheers,
Cam

Ooh. So is there a condensed set of gnome invention rules to go along with the gnomish tinker PrC? What general kind of things does the gnomish tinker get?

Andre La Roche
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
What general kind of things does the gnomish tinker get?

The tinker gets to make stuff! ;)

More seriously though, the class allows them to allow existing items to grant enhancement bonuses to related checks, and eventually they can make little gizmos that are able to reproduce the effects of lower-level spells only once. These abilities are fueled by tool points (representing various parts and pieces) in their tool belts which can be either bought, or salvaged off of things after disable device checks. It's a really nifty PrC.

Cam Banks
08-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Ooh. So is there a condensed set of gnome invention rules to go along with the gnomish tinker PrC? What general kind of things does the gnomish tinker get?

They have a toolbelt, which is actually something all gnomes can use, and have abilities such as kitbash, patent pending, in development, and a few other clever little engineering jokes I tossed in for laughs.

It actually holds together pretty well, but it isn't a gnome invention construction kit by any stretch.

Cheers,
Cam

iltharanos
08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Lol. Awesome. Sounds like the gnomish tinker is a combination of a techie from d20 Modern along with the Gnome Artificer from Magic of Faerun. Thanks for the quick replies Cam and Andre!

Did someone say the Knights of Solamnia have an option to advance all in one class progression? Is it a 10-level PrC or is it something more funky like the 13-level Void Disciple from Complete Divine?

Are you guys tired of fielding questions from us less fortunate folks? ;)

Kendermage
08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
He didn't meet the requirements until 5th level, which is where he picked up another metamagic/item creation feat on top of Scribe Scroll. Raistlin has both Spellcasting Prodigy and Magical Aptitude so he couldn't meet the requirements until 5th (took Spell Focus at 3rd).

Cheers,
Cam

Thanks for clarifying that for me. In all my versions I never gave him magical aptitude, so he was ready for WoHS upon reaching fifth level. I hate to be a pain, but wahta bout his Charisma score?

Cam Banks
08-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Did someone say the Knights of Solamnia have an option to advance all in one class progression? Is it a 10-level PrC or is it something more funky like the 13-level Void Disciple from Complete Divine?

All of the NPC knights in the book use the variant advancement, which is essentially the Crown knight PrC with points at which the character has the option of moving onto a different Order. When he does, he branches off into a variation of the progression he was on but picks up different abilities. The class is referenced as "knight of Solamnia (Crown/Sword/Rose)" in stat blocks, I think.

In many ways it's very much like the DLA classes, a cross between a standard prestige class and a split class from old-school Unearthed Arcana.

Cheers,
Cam

DmJoeSolarte
08-24-2004, 09:19 PM
WotL is focused on this one time period, so there isn't a progression of stats like that. Some of these characters are in multiple eras as well, so their stats in other eras will be seen in other sourcebooks.

I am not so sure I like that. I think the advancement of the Hero's as the Campaign progressed within the novels was paramount and that we should be shown such a steady progression.

The Raistlin that walked into the INN OF HTE LAST HOME in Solace was not the same Raistlin that emerged from Xax Tsaroth, whom was completely different from the Raistlin whom stood at end after Pax Tharxas had been liberated, whom was completely different from the Raistlin that Entered Silvanesti, whom was different from the one whom left it, whom was different from the one that saw the Queen of Darkness defeated.

While I am not asking for THAT much of a variation, I think being given the stats of the Hero's "In Between Novels" like then did in the SWRPG would have been a good addition.

talinthas
08-24-2004, 09:28 PM
man, at least wait till you see the book before you start a crusade against it =)

there's a LOT of stuff there, and a lot of it will make you blink and go, what the heck? it's awesome =)

Dragonhelm
08-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Quite honestly, there's so much information jam packed in the book that it couldn't hold much else!

320 pages of DL goodness, folks. Best DL sourcebook EVER. Boo-yah!

WildKnight
08-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Quite honestly, there's so much information jam packed in the book that it couldn't hold much else!

320 pages of DL goodness, folks. Best DL sourcebook EVER. Boo-yah!

It is the best DLance role-playing book I've ever seen. Of course, I've been a big fan of all of the SovPress DLance stuff (other than Key of Destiny, which I didnt buy).

Rev_Jake
08-24-2004, 10:27 PM
ah ha!! im back!! and damn the nay-sayers!!! WotL is absolutly effing awesome. end story. quit whining about what you think info is missing until you read it, it is amazing!!! hopefully tomorrow ill have posted my skimmer's guide to WotL and ToHS but tonight ive spent to much time "working" reading Ashes and Amber instead of "working" posting and until i get the net back at home i can only browse the net while im at "work" so itll have to wait for tomorrow. but ashes and amber (off subject i know) is great so far (im about half way through it) but will say that 1 year ago when i started going to these forums i found there was 2 kinds of novel fans; ones that dont want any more info on the gods and those that do, well this book isnt for those that dont. but yea.... more about that in the novels section...

till "work" tomorrow

Maglaurus
08-24-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm just curious to know, would the Tinker PrC benifit a gnome with an interest in alchemical formulas and philosophy or is it more for mechanical-types? I have a Gnome PC who's Lifequest it is to find the single material that makes up all of existance. At the moment the character has 3 levels in Wizard (he has a very Gnomish perspective on magic) and 2 levels in a class I created called the "Sage"--which is acutally very much like the Master class. Of late he's just spinning his wheels wondering where to go. Is the new PrC a good direction for such a character?

Cheers,

Maglaurus

Rev_Jake
08-24-2004, 10:55 PM
personally i dont think so....
extra levels in the master class would be perfect though....

Andre La Roche
08-25-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm just curious to know, would the Tinker PrC benifit a gnome with an interest in alchemical formulas and philosophy or is it more for mechanical-types? I have a Gnome PC who's Lifequest it is to find the single material that makes up all of existance. At the moment the character has 3 levels in Wizard (he has a very Gnomish perspective on magic) and 2 levels in a class I created called the "Sage"--which is acutally very much like the Master class. Of late he's just spinning his wheels wondering where to go. Is the new PrC a good direction for such a character?

Cheers,

Maglaurus

The great thing about the master tinker prestige class is that, like most rule sets, the actual-in-game equivalent is somewhat abstracted. As it is, the class allows you to create bonuses to checks, as well as reproduce spell-like abilities. Though the flavor text is somewhat geared towards a mechanical oriented gnome, who's to say that the tool points don't represent certain alchemical mixtures? Spell effects are the products of the substances being mixed together, and the enhancement bonus to a sword could be the result of a special salve.

The only thing I'd change mechanically is that instead of getting tool points from disarming traps and the like, you'd have to apply the check to various alchemical substances.

Mícheál
08-25-2004, 03:23 AM
All of the original Innfellows are in the book, described as they are right before they head to Pax Tharkas and after Xak Tsaroth.

Hmm. I don't like this. Why doesn't the book have stats for them right before they leave the Inn? Those are the stats I would've needed. I can, of course, scale them down. I think 5th-level is about right, right?

About Raist... So they gave him Use Magic Device. Why?

About Riverwind... Barbarian? Honestly? Just because he comes from a "barbaric" society, he needs barbarian levels? So he's NG now, right?

WildKnight
08-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Hmm. I don't like this. Why doesn't the book have stats for them right before they leave the Inn? Those are the stats I would've needed. I can, of course, scale them down. I think 5th-level is about right, right?

About Raist... So they gave him Use Magic Device. Why?

About Riverwind... Barbarian? Honestly? Just because he comes from a "barbaric" society, he needs barbarian levels? So he's NG now, right?

I like it just fine... it would have been a complete waste of page count to offer 3 or more different versions of each Innfellow, and thats the only way they could have satisfied every different players preference (for the record, I would have liked to see them at the Inn of the Last Home as well, but Im perfectly content with how it was done).

As for Use Magic Device.. uhh... so he could use magical devices intended for classes other than Wizard? I dunno.

Riverwind probably got Barbarian levels to reflect the time he goes berzerk in battle (after Goldmoons death) and tears at the Draconians with his bear hands. Sure in story terms you could explain it away as a grief-induced death wish or something, but in game terms the guy can Rage, and thats pure Barbarian. Besides, the Barbarian has other useful class features that represent Barbarian-like abilities that Riverwind should possess.

Cam Banks
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Riverwind probably got Barbarian levels to reflect the time he goes berzerk in battle (after Goldmoons death) and tears at the Draconians with his bear hands. Sure in story terms you could explain it away as a grief-induced death wish or something, but in game terms the guy can Rage, and thats pure Barbarian. Besides, the Barbarian has other useful class features that represent Barbarian-like abilities that Riverwind should possess.

Exactly. He's fast and alert, which are traits the barbarian possesses and which have been well-documented in the books. It isn't because he's from a barbaric culture, either - not all Que-Shu have barbarian levels.

Raistlin has no ranks in Use Magic Device. He has the Magical Aptitude feat, which gives him the base +2 bonus listed, and synergy bonuses which grant him the bonus when using spell scrolls.

Cheers,
Cam

Mícheál
08-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Exactly. He's fast and alert, which are traits the barbarian possesses and which have been well-documented in the books. It isn't because he's from a barbaric culture, either - not all Que-Shu have barbarian levels.

So he's neutral good, now?
Oh well, at least they didn't give Tanis ranger levels.

Raistlin has no ranks in Use Magic Device. He has the Magical Aptitude feat, which gives him the base +2 bonus listed, and synergy bonuses which grant him the bonus when using spell scrolls.

:D You're forgetting something.
Read the description of the Use Magic Device skill. Or heck, just read the title.
USE MAGIC DEVICE (CHA; TRAINED ONLY)

So in my games, I'm either giving him Skill Focus (Spellcraft) or an extra level of wizard of High Sorcery. Propably the latter.

Cam Banks
08-25-2004, 09:02 AM
:D You're forgetting something.
Read the description of the Use Magic Device skill. Or heck, just read the title.
USE MAGIC DEVICE (CHA; TRAINED ONLY)

So in my games, I'm either giving him Skill Focus (Spellcraft) or an extra level of wizard of High Sorcery. Propably the latter.

I took the 1st level Raistlin from Towers of High Sorcery and advanced him to 6th level for the War of the Lance sourcebook, and he's had the feat since 1st level. Good point about the Trained Only qualifier for the skill, though - the bonus probably shouldn't be listed until he picks up ranks in the skill later in life (which he invariably will).

You should also note that his Hit Dice are incorrect - he should have 6d4-6 Hit Dice, not 5d4-5, but the statistics are otherwise correct for a 6th level character.

Cheers,
Cam

Evilboy
08-25-2004, 09:06 AM
You should also note that his Hit Dice are incorrect - he should have 6d4-6 Hit Dice, not 5d4-5, but the statistics are otherwise correct for a 6th level character.

Would the lower amount of Hit Dice reflect his level drain from Fisty?

Cam Banks
08-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Would the lower amount of Hit Dice reflect his level drain from Fisty?

No, it reflects the guy who wrote the stat block forgetting to increase it by one when he figured the level in wizard of High Sorcery. :)

Cheers,
Cam

Andre La Roche
08-25-2004, 08:49 PM
No, it reflects the guy who wrote the stat block forgetting to increase it by one when he figured the level in wizard of High Sorcery. :)

Cheers,
Cam

I don't know if we can ever forgive that bum. ;)

Cam Banks
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't know if we can ever forgive that bum. ;)

Aura of clam!
Aura of clam!
Aura of clam!

Cheers,
That bum

talinthas
08-25-2004, 10:23 PM
it's all those vestal virgins, dude.

Mícheál
08-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Okay, now an issue that has been bugging me ever since I first read the Chronicles.

Sturm's sword, longsword or greatsword?

Jamie
08-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Okay, now an issue that has been bugging me ever since I first read the Chronicles.

Sturm's sword, longsword or greatsword?

Try in the middle: Bastard sword! The Brightblade is detailed in War of the Lance!

Mícheál
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Curses. :mad:
Seriously, this has bugged me ever since I first read DoAT and they described the Brightblade as a two-handed sword, but every illustration always decipted him as wielding a longsword (with the hilt of a short sword) and a shield.

Jamie
08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Seriously, this has bugged me ever since I first read DoAT and they described the Brightblade as a two-handed sword, but every illustration always decipted him as wielding a longsword (with the hilt of a short sword) and a shield.

That was one of the things that always occurred to us. Even the original game material described Sturm carrying a magical two-handed sword, while illustrations always showed him with a round steel shield and holding the sword in one hand. The bastard sword is still larger than a longsword, yet can be wielded with either one or two hands.

Mícheál
08-26-2004, 11:25 AM
I think I can be happy with a bastard sword. All I'd really like is a picture of Sturm with a greatsword and no shield. That would make me happy.

Evilboy
08-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Aura of clam!
Aura of clam!
Aura of clam!

Cheers,
That bum

Ew and aura of clam.... That a new power for the Sea Mage?

Kidding... I mispell clam and calm all the time too

Mícheál
08-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Ew and aura of clam.... That a new power for the Sea Mage?

Nope. It's a special power of the reefmaster (the aquatic version of the forestmaster).

Andre La Roche
08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
I think I can be happy with a bastard sword. All I'd really like is a picture of Sturm with a greatsword and no shield. That would make me happy.

Yes, typos are evil. People end up never letting you hear the end of them.

Mícheál
08-26-2004, 12:22 PM

What typos? :confused:

Tsarg
08-26-2004, 02:54 PM

Yes, they described it as a Two Handed Sword since the bastard Sword could be used with two hands.

Another thing to take in mind is that at his final battle against Kitiara at the High Clerists Tower it says that he grabed up a bow (dont know if it was short or longbow), some arrows as well, and A SHIELD, so he was wielding his sword while using a shield on the other hand. That makes it impossible for the Brightblade to be a Two Handed Sword.

Now that i think of........ i dont know what the hell was he thinking at that moment....... maybe he thought the shield would protect him from a dragon :D

Mícheál
08-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Yes, they described it as a Two Handed Sword since the bastard Sword could be used with two hands.

Nope, they described it as a two-handed sword because (checks the original stats for Sturm) his weapon was (checks the weapons section of the stat card) a two-handed sword +3.

Rev_Jake
08-27-2004, 06:24 PM
bah this from the guy who showed me more typos then i can remember?!?

SweetMeats
08-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Could some one with the book do me a really big favour? What are the prerequistes for the Tinker class?

My current group has a gnome barbarian/rogue who is always making gnomish tools but he'd love to get this class. Any chance you could post so we could perhaps work him towards it for when the book comes out?

Thanx.

snifferdoo
08-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Could some one with the book do me a really big favour? What are the prerequistes for the Tinker class?

Race: Gnome

Skills: Appraise 4 ranks, Craft (any subskill) 8 ranks, Disable Device 4 ranks

Special: Approval of the Chief Review Sub-Committee of Engineers, Consultants, and Inventors by a six-tenths vote and a signed waiver lodged with the Registrar of Contributing Administrative Functionaries and Governors.

:D

iltharanos
08-27-2004, 08:31 PM

Race: Gnome

Skills: Appraise 4 ranks, Craft (any subskill) 8 ranks, Disable Device 4 ranks

Special: Approval of the Chief Review Sub-Committee of Engineers, Consultants, and Inventors by a six-tenths vote and a signed waiver lodged with the Registrar of Contributing Administrative Functionaries and Governors.

:D

LOL. God I love gnomes. :D

Cam Banks
08-27-2004, 09:51 PM
LOL. God I love gnomes. :D

I think the Special requirement there just about sums it up, yes. :)

I'm not sure why I end up with the gnome assignments, because they're not my favorite race in the setting, but I do have this bizarre kind of understanding about where they're coming from. Must be the years of middle management...

Cheers,
Cam

SweetMeats
08-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanx very much. Looks like he won't have much trouble taking the class when the time comes.

shiin
09-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Could someone please elaborate a bit on the Handler PrC, for example what are its prerequistes ?

Thanks in advance.

Dragonhelm
09-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Could someone please elaborate a bit on the Handler PrC, for example what are its prerequistes ?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should probably not quote so much of the requirements. Needless to say, a kender or half-kender rogue could easily meet the requirements. We'll leave it at that.

The class represents more of what a kender handler should be. There's nifty abilities like kender tales, handler's luck and uncle's luck, five-fingered fighting, and hide in plain sight.

There's some great flavor to this class.

shiin
09-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. That PrC looks really interesting! I think I might have to buy this book for our gaming group even though we play in the 5th age after WoS.

Cam Banks
09-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. That PrC looks really interesting! I think I might have to buy this book for our gaming group even though we play in the 5th age after WoS.

The characters chapter is still very useful for any age, shiin. For instance, among the other new rules included are multi-era prestige classes such as the minotaur marauder, gnomish tinker and chorister (and the handler, obviously). There's a new core class, the master, which is a playable PC version of the expert and fills in the roles of sage, performer, craftsman and professional, all four of which see use in the saga. And although many of the feats are reprinted from the Age of Mortals campaign sourcebook (since we can't always assume you have both books), they've been revised slightly and new feats are added, such as Astrological Forecasting.

Cheers,
Cam

clarkvalentine
09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
T...There's a new core class, the master, ... and new feats are added, such as Astrological Forecasting.

In fact, I'm playing a PC with levels of Master and the Astrological Forecasting feat in Cam's 5th age game.

Brython
09-04-2004, 06:30 AM

Cheers,
Cam

Any chance of a preview of Gilthanas' ability scores

iltharanos
09-04-2004, 08:05 AM
And although many of the feats are reprinted from the Age of Mortals campaign sourcebook (since we can't always assume you have both books), they've been revised slightly and new feats are added, such as Astrological Forecasting.

Cheers,
Cam

Hmm. Perchance did the Spellcasting Prodigy feat see revision (ala FR's feat of the same name)? If yes, I'll conveniently ignore it and keep the AoM version in my campaign. :p

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Hmm. Perchance did the Spellcasting Prodigy feat see revision (ala FR's feat of the same name)? If yes, I'll conveniently ignore it and keep the AoM version in my campaign. :p

Yes, it did. In fact it was revised to work the way I've been working it all along. The original version is one of those Feats that you'd be a fool *not* to take if you're a spellcaster, and no Feat should be such a no-brainer that every caster is going to want it.

iltharanos
09-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Yes, it did. In fact it was revised to work the way I've been working it all along. The original version is one of those Feats that you'd be a fool *not* to take if you're a spellcaster, and no Feat should be such a no-brainer that every caster is going to want it.

Lol. Tell that to the makers of Vow of Poverty.

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Lol. Tell that to the makers of Vow of Poverty.

Actually in most Campaigns Vow of Poverty isnt that great... Sure you get a nifty power every level, but you can never own any magical items, ever. That means that you are extremely limited in alot of ways.

Of course, any Monk character would be foolish not to take Vow of Poverty.

Sephzero
09-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Vow of Poverty can be a rather impressive feat, though even with the monk its ability is just is pretty much average when you compare some the restriction that you have to take with it. Not to mention a few redundant abilities.

That and keeping to the role-playing aspect of taking the vow of poverty can often lead to some tenseful situation if the player isn't exactly ready to "slum" all the time. That and proving your qualification to the DM for taking on an [exalted] feat selection.

iltharanos
09-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Vow of Poverty is problematic. I know of no other feat that you can take that also grants you twelve bonus feats. Vow of Poverty works extremely well with an exalted druid character ... extremely well.

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Vow of Poverty is problematic. I know of no other feat that you can take that also grants you twelve bonus feats. Vow of Poverty works extremely well with an exalted druid character ... extremely well.

I still think you're ignoring the massive lack of flexibility possessed by "Vow of Poverty" characters, as compared to characters who can simply acquire magical items, use them when they're useful, or not, when they're not. In a game I played in we had a Sorcerer with Vow of Poverty, and the player was constantly lamenting his choice.

iltharanos
09-04-2004, 04:11 PM
I still think you're ignoring the massive lack of flexibility possessed by "Vow of Poverty" characters, as compared to characters who can simply acquire magical items, use them when they're useful, or not, when they're not. In a game I played in we had a Sorcerer with Vow of Poverty, and the player was constantly lamenting his choice.

That's why I said Vow of Poverty works very well with exalted Druids. I never said anything about exalted Sorcerers being way overpowered when combined with the feat.

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 07:52 PM
That's why I said Vow of Poverty works very well with exalted Druids. I never said anything about exalted Sorcerers being way overpowered when combined with the feat.

What makes the Druid any less vulnerable to a lack in flexibility? :confused:

Sourcemaster2
09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
What makes the Druid any less vulnerable to a lack in flexibility?

Not to butt in (even though I am), but a druid's preparatory casting gives him the opportunity to compensate for his lack of items with the right spells for different situations, whereas a sorcerer with the feat is stuck with his comparatively few learned spells and feat abilities. The same applies for a mystic vs. wizard, and so on.

SweetMeats
09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
How long have we got now till WotL is out in shops?

WildKnight
09-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Not to butt in (even though I am), but a druid's preparatory casting gives him the opportunity to compensate for his lack of items with the right spells for different situations, whereas a sorcerer with the feat is stuck with his comparatively few learned spells and feat abilities. The same applies for a mystic vs. wizard, and so on.

Actually, I've always found that preparatory casting makes it more difficult to compensate for lacking the proper magic items, unless you know exactly what challenges you'll be facing in the upcoming day of course.

flint
09-04-2004, 08:51 PM
WotL is supposed to be out around Oct 1st. It's a phenomenal book!

SweetMeats
09-04-2004, 10:30 PM
WotL is supposed to be out around Oct 1st. It's a phenomenal book!

A month? Curses!!!

Sephzero
09-04-2004, 11:31 PM
At least it isn't too long of a wait. Guess it'll give me some more time to help plan out more parts of my WotL: Maximum at least. Can't wait to finally get it though, so I can correlate some of the information and events.

Steel_Wind
09-05-2004, 01:25 AM
The Brightblade was originally a +3 two handed sword, no doubt about it.

Larry Emore's paintings of Sturm showed it as a broadsword. Maybe, one might generously view the illustration as showing a bastard blade - but never a two handed sword.

As time went on and the cover from Dragons of Autumn Twilight (and other partwork showing Sturm and the reduced Brightblade) supplanted the module description and *trumped it*, as it were, people have squabbled about it.

War of the Lance at p.51 attempts to resolve the inconsistency and now describes the weapon as a bastard blade.

Elmore got it wrong. But the impression of his art was so powerful, they've changed the underlying description to better accommodate Elmore's vision, as it has now passed into iconic status.

WildKnight
09-05-2004, 08:25 AM
The Brightblade was originally a +3 two handed sword, no doubt about it.

Larry Emore's paintings of Sturm showed it as a broadsword. Maybe, one might generously view the illustration as showing a bastard blade - but never a two handed sword.

As time went on and the cover from Dragons of Autumn Twilight (and other partwork showing Sturm and the reduced Brightblade) supplanted the module description and *trumped it*, as it were, people have squabbled about it.

War of the Lance at p.51 attempts to resolve the inconsistency and now describes the weapon as a bastard blade.

Elmore got it wrong. But the impression of his art was so powerful, they've changed the underlying description to better accommodate Elmore's vision, as it has now passed into iconic status.

Hmmm... Or, maybe, its just a fact that while innovative, the original Dragonlance modules ended up having next to nothing to do with the real story of Dragonlance, and they have made subsequent gaming material to match the reality presented in the tales, rather than to stick to some set of stats in an adventure module.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Dragonlance would have SUCKED if they'd been enslaved to those modules.

Cam Banks
09-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Hmmm... Or, maybe, its just a fact that while innovative, the original Dragonlance modules ended up having next to nothing to do with the real story of Dragonlance, and they have made subsequent gaming material to match the reality presented in the tales, rather than to stick to some set of stats in an adventure module.

Sturm's been drawn by Elmore (and all of the other DL artists) as having a bastard sword since the earliest character sketches, and in DL5 where the Heroes of the Lance character sheets appear, the illustration used for Sturm shows him with a shield and a sword in one hand.

We've been trying to get the Brightblade accepted as a bastard sword for ages, so I'm glad that it finally made it into the book. :)

Cheers,
Cam

WildKnight
09-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Sturm's been drawn by Elmore (and all of the other DL artists) as having a bastard sword since the earliest character sketches, and in DL5 where the Heroes of the Lance character sheets appear, the illustration used for Sturm shows him with a shield and a sword in one hand.

We've been trying to get the Brightblade accepted as a bastard sword for ages, so I'm glad that it finally made it into the book. :)

Cheers,
Cam

Wasnt it a bastard sword in the book that came with Tales of the Lance?

Cam Banks
09-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Wasnt it a bastard sword in the book that came with Tales of the Lance?

Nope. Not that I recall! I'm very happy, personally, that with the DLCS and WOTL books now available, there's no reason at all to look at the Tales of the Lance book again. :)

Cheers,
Cam

WildKnight
09-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Nope. Not that I recall! I'm very happy, personally, that with the DLCS and WOTL books now available, there's no reason at all to look at the Tales of the Lance book again. :)

Cheers,
Cam

LOL. Actually Im very happy with them too. I still havent finished reading War of the Lance, but a friend and I are co-authoring and co-DMing a campaign (actually a Trilogy, but only the first part is based on War of the Lance) using the information there.

HOWEVER... Tales of the Lance will always be special to me. It was the very fist D&D product I ever owned (even before a PHB), and the book that accompanied it was like magic the first time I opened it. Occasionally when I dont have anything to read (I cant go a day w/o reading) I still get it out and read it.

Still though... it doesnt compare with the thrill of taking my copy of War of the Lance directly from Margaret Weis. My friend is building a display case for his. Talk about magic.