PDA

View Full Version : Kythons in Dragonlance...?

Ravenmantle
08-22-2004, 08:05 AM
A fellow DM asked me a question about the kythons from BoVD. Do they exist on Krynn? I honestly donīt know what my answer would be. I really like the critters...but somehow I canīt see kythons running amok in a Dragonlance campaign...so Iīm sending the question on to you my fellow Dragonlance DMs...what do you think? Do kythons exist on Krynn?

Ravenmantle

Sothus
08-22-2004, 09:23 AM
They could be, they could be, but a very few... and instead of being created by demon/devils trapped in Krynn they'd more probably be the result of experimentation by some evil wizard/sorcerer/cleric/mystic.

Uziel
08-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Hmm...my opinion would be no.

Kythons are generally speaking far too advanced (and powerful in many cases) to be used in the DL campaign setting, unless you have a one-off kython otherworlder, who has been summoned/gated in for one reason or another, or the result of magical experimentation.

I can't see too many parties being able to take on a slaughterking with any ease. Plus I know that many variations of the kythons use bioweaponry, which is clearly not an option in DL. I'd simply say no, and use another otherworlder instead.

Xill for instance, have the same sense of savagery, whilst using bodies to harvest for their own eggs. They are one option, and were the favoured of Takhisis, until the Summer of Chaos when she stole Krynn and left them behind. So they could be used freely.

For another more brutal opponent, I like to use gray renders or even packs of girallons. I guess it really depends on what you are intending to use kythons for. I can't see it personally, but you could apply a template to tone kythons down and adjust them to suit DL... but to me, that takes away something from kythons and makes them less special in their own sense. (and makes the point moot of trying to apply them to DL in the first place)

Just my opinion, which may or may not be of use. Perhaps if you elaborated further on your intention of using them in a campaign, I could be more specific. :o

Ravenmantle
08-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, my friend (the DM whoīs considering using them) wants to run a one-off adventure with an Alienīish theme. The characters are trapped somewhere (an abandoned mine or something similar) and kythons are loose in that exact location. He thought kythons would be the ideal critters for such an adventure. Thatīs pretty much what he told me...and he insists on running the adventure in his ongoing Dragonlance campaign.

Ravenmantle

Uziel
08-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Well, given the circumstances it is possible, I guess. It's not technically a Dragonlance monster... but hey, anything is possible really when you're the DM. ;)

I'd play it as both Sothus and I suggested then. A clutch of kythons were magically created through experimentation by a powerful wizard. The wizard's experiment went somehow awry and the result were the kythons, who were created unexpectedly and killed their creator. The savage beasts have taken over the mine, killing anything they find in the dark depths.

You could always play it that the adventurers stumble into their lair, and the kythons themselves are preparing to launch themselves from the mine for lack of food. At some point, if the party fails, they will be partially responsible for allowing the kythons to escape and feast upon the nearby villages. Just a brief thought/synopsis.

Hope it helps.

Teclis of House Magi
08-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Personally i'd run them as an experiment gone wrong within this Dungeonish thing.

You could have alot of fun tormenting your players with this, perhaps they find an old ruined mages labratory, said to still contain mighty artefacts from the 4th age (If it's a 5th age camapign). G

Going to this labratory supposedly destroyed by a magical experiemnt gone awry they find that though the surface Section was destroyed, there was a hidden, underground, lab that the Wizard used for his more radical experiments to try and create Life (ala Raistlin). The experiment, though a sucsess, went horriably wrong and, just before the inital batch killed him, the wizard brought down the lab in a rage, intending to kill the creatures he had created.

Insted of killing them, here merely killed himself, though he sealed them off inside the Lab, unable to approach the surface they brooded below, eating eachother for sustanance and as a way of ritualistic combat.

When the characters go within they find the lower lab abandoned, but with strange secretions and other things coating the weakend and in some places collapsed walls. As they get closer to the center of the 'lab' they find the 'Queen' of the brood, the first experiemnt the wizard created, and the only one capable of re-producing for the race.

Make it a creature they must run from, and suddenly the hallways are sawrming with these alien-like kythons, and they have to try and flee the nest, and somehow either seal them away again, or kill the 'Queen', lest they have just released a new, and quite potent, menace upon the local area.

Quite a good conundrum for a group of good PC's, with good hooks for both Wizards and anyone seeking riches. You could even perhaps allow the Wizard to find the Black Robes notes, detailing in more and morte explicit horror how he bent and broke the laws of life to create sub=ch hideous beasts, before they too turns on him and killed him.

You know, now that i write about this, it would make a really good One-Shot... a really good one........ *Begins dungeon design*

SweetMeats
08-23-2004, 08:58 AM
In truth, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you feel comfortable using them in your DL game.
I use monsters from various books that would have others shrieking that its not Dragonlance, but to me its D&D as well, and as long as the flavour is maintained and the group has enjoyment it's fine.

Ravenmantle
08-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanx for your input guys! Iīll pass your suggestions on to my buddy (along with a GET-AN-INTERNET-CONNECTION-SO-YOU-CAN-USE-THE-BOARDS-YOURSELF note).

Ravenmantle