PDA

View Full Version : Leather bound Chronicles Update

Queen of Darkness
08-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Dear Friends,

I have more information on this new edition of the Chrnoicles.

Per my request and Tracy's, the book is going to be a tribute to the late artist, Keith Parkinson. The book will feature many of Keith's paintings in full color plates and Tracy and I have each written a dedication to him.

Margaret

Lord Maligoth
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Nice, I will definitley pick one up.

Devildog
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Very nice I was going to forego this copy because I already have three copies of Chronicles but I will get it now. Margaret are you going to offer this on MW prod inc.? :) I would dearly love an autograph copy of this one.

Cam Banks
08-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Margaret,

What a wonderful gesture and a touching homage to one of Dragonlance's finest visionary creators! Now I'll have to start saving up for this thing. My other two copies of Chronicles are tremendously dog-eared.

Cheers,
Cam

Dragonhelm
08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Pardon the "me too" post, but I agree. That's just a damn cool way of honoring one of Dragonlance's greatest artists.

Tassleshade Pricklyfoot
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
i would love to get that! though i recently got the paperback Chronicles books... :confused:

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
08-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Very nice homage! Can't wait to pick up a copy and see the wonderful art!

Heron
08-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Pardon the "me too" post, but I agree. That's just a damn cool way of honoring one of Dragonlance's greatest artists.

Not a more deserving person. . . He will always be missed.

DaemonAngel
08-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Keith Parkinson was a fine artist and this is a nice tribute to him. :)

Gerrin
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I most definitely will have to add this one to my collection and do it justice by reading it.

Carteeg_Struve
08-24-2006, 03:08 PM
*raises a glass of pinot noir*

For Keith.

And I look forward to the release.

Kranar Drogin
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Dear Friends,

I have more information on this new edition of the Chrnoicles.

Per my request and Tracy's, the book is going to be a tribute to the late artist, Keith Parkinson. The book will feature many of Keith's paintings in full color plates and Tracy and I have each written a dedication to him.

Margaret
Well, dang it, now I am going to have to buy it! Sounds like a very nice book that is going to be published.

Raistlinrox
08-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Margaret, since this book took even you by surprise, whose idea was it?

Joey Brightblade
08-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Margaret,

Will this be an annotated version?

Queen of Darkness
08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Margaret, since this book took even you by surprise, whose idea was it?

I was talking to the WoTC art director about what art would be in the book and he said he hadn't decided. So I talked to Tracy and we suggested that they make the book a tribute to Keith. And, no, it will not be annotated (that I know of!) and yes it will be on our website.

Thanks,

Margaret

Heron
08-24-2006, 07:40 PM
I was talking to the WoTC art director about what art would be in the book and he said he hadn't decided. So I talked to Tracy and we suggested that they make the book a tribute to Keith. And, no, it will not be annotated (that I know of!) and yes it will be on our website.

Thanks,

Margaret

Both Amazon and BAMM list as annotated.

Talanthandros
08-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Both Amazon and BAMM list as annotated.
I've learned not to trust Amazon's postings though otherwise books seem to be released on very incorrect dates.

That's my take
Talan

Ravenmantle
08-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Ms Weis,

That's a very nice gesture. :) I've always hoped that there would be some kind of tribute to Keith Parkinson. He was an amazing artist and really inspired me in my early RPG years (still does). I thank you and Mr Hickman for taking the initiative to honor Mr Parkinson in such an amazing way!

I don't usually buy novels I already own but there is no question whatsoever that I'll buy this one!

Ravenmantle

talinthas
08-24-2006, 11:04 PM
but is that really enough to justify paying such a high cost for something we all have? (and in my case, i have a bookcase full of chron versions, with varying art, covers, and languages, hard and softback...)

Cam Banks
08-24-2006, 11:05 PM
but is that really enough to justify paying such a high cost for something we all have? (and in my case, i have a bookcase full of chron versions, with varying art, covers, and languages, hard and softback...)

Apparently so!

Cheers,
Cam

Ravenmantle
08-24-2006, 11:19 PM

I don't have any other copies/versions of the Chronicles than the original copies I bought way back in the day so I'm ok with spending extra bucks on this one. I can see how it can get tiring for those of you who've bought every single version that came out, though.

Ravenmantle

snifferdoo
08-25-2006, 06:31 AM

I'm such a DL junkie. For the Holy Three I have:

The 1984 trilogy (original cover with a blue Dragonhighlord with a mask on not off.)
Paperback Collectors Edition from 1988
The new paperback trilogy
The new hardback trilogy
Annotated Chronicals
The Devils Due harback graphic novel

Will I get this leather cover edition? Probably... I must be insane. :o

talinthas
08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
I have chron in the original three, the revised three, the rerevised stawiki three, the hardback stawiki three, the hard back annotated, the hardback collectors edition, the hardback japanese (six, cause they split each book into two), the hardback chinese, the paperback polish italian norwegian and some random chunks of other, the graphic novels, the comic books, and on and on. I stopped short of getting annotated trade paperback.

so tell me, why do i need another? for that matter, what the abyss possessed me to get all of these in the first damn place? :p :D

Will i get this? eventually, i'm sure. but 75 bucks is a lot of money, and will buy many many DL books that are new and interesting.

Carteeg_Struve
08-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Random Poster: "Hey Tal. How many Dragonlance books do you have?"

Talinthas: "153. Unforunately all of them are Chronicles."

Might as well get the new ones, just to make sure you have the complete set. :D

talinthas
08-25-2006, 08:33 AM
sometimes it definately feels like that. i was just commenting to my mom that i need another bookcase. She replied, what, you don't have enough dust in your room already?

sigh. sometimes i just wish i could drop the Obsessive Collector prestige class and go back to being a normal fan of DL =)

Khaisai
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
sometimes it definately feels like that. i was just commenting to my mom that i need another bookcase. She replied, what, you don't have enough dust in your room already?

sigh. sometimes i just wish i could drop the Obsessive Collector prestige class and go back to being a normal fan of DL =)
No! Speaking as a Completer-Finisher, I'd feel terrible if I didn't have you to compare myself to. I'd lay awake nights worrying about the four bedroom house in the country I could have had before this DL obsession began...

:D

Weldon Chen
08-25-2006, 04:22 PM

I know how you feel. I keep all of my stuff in large trunks. however, I've now filled that third trunk. that's depressing me because when i get my fourth trunk, it's just going to get harder and harder to move all four trunks in case of disasters and such.

Weldon

Joe
08-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I like the idea of a leatherbound edition of Chronicles, but $75 is a lot for a book. Still, given my addiction to Dragonlance, I'll eventually break down and buy it :D

Heron
08-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Well if you are a member of BAMM it is only $45 dollars. With a $10 dollar membership fee, it still is only $55.00.

Raistlinrox
08-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Amazon has it for 47.25, and that includes free shipping.

LuckyIFoundThis
08-28-2006, 04:51 AM
I'd lay awake nights worrying about the four bedroom house in the country I could have had before this DL obsession began... :D
Already got that so I might as well get this book. Plus with the memorium, it sounds like a worth while buy.

Joe
08-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Amazon has it for 47.25, and that includes free shipping.
Now I can dig that price :cool:

Arek Brimstone
08-29-2006, 01:00 PM
That is excellent news! I was looking at possibly picking this up anyway...just because it'd be nice to have a really fancy leather bound version of this series, but now there's no way I'm passing it up.

Just out of curiosity, will there be a price change? I know stuff like this can sometimes cause an increase in price. Just wondering.

Thanks!

Sunegami
09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I went to elementary and middle school with Keith's older son, Nick (back in the day ;)); our families were great friends, as well, as the Parkinsons lived around the corner and down the street from my grandparents. Keith was also the one who first inspired me to become an artist. I miss him terribly, and will definitely get this book.

::raises a mug of mead:: To you, Keith. May your works inspire countless more, as you inspired me.

maikuru
09-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Aside from the annotated question, which I'm interested in knowing as well, what is the expected release for this edition?

Sephzero
09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
It is schedule for release this October 2006.

sari majere
09-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Have we heard any more news on the book? Its 11 days until release and theres still no picture on amazon or Bamm. Is it or is it not annotated?

Sephzero
09-29-2006, 05:58 PM
WotC site has the cover art here. (http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=959647200) I think from prior comments that it wasn't going to be annotated.

Heron
09-29-2006, 06:15 PM
WotC site has the cover art here. (http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=959647200) I think from prior comments that it wasn't going to be annotated.

It is annotated. Paizo even says so.

talinthas
09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
seriously dude, do you take paizo's word for gold or something? until its on the wotc page, or in my hand, it's not credible.

Heron
09-29-2006, 06:24 PM
seriously dude, do you take paizo's word for gold or something? until its on the wotc page, or in my hand, it's not credible.

Well Paizo printed this add as well as it is stated on AMazon, Booksamillion and other bookstores. If it isnt then it is very bad advetising.

As for Paizo, I thought WotC pays for their adds in Dragon. So if it is their ad then I do take it as the word of WotC.

Heron
09-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Here is an image of the book

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_dlant_959647200_lgpic.jpg

Carteeg_Struve
09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
VERY stylish!

talinthas
09-29-2006, 06:48 PM
except...they use the art from the dark queen, and like the ugliest raistlin around. kinda depressing.

otherwise, i approve of the color scheme.

Weldon Chen
09-29-2006, 07:04 PM
except...they use the art from the dark queen, and like the ugliest raistlin around. kinda depressing.

It looks like they took from the Legend's calendar with beefcake caramon, crysania, and Tasslehoff along with Raistlin's head.

As for the dark Queen.... I'd personally rather have Laurana and Tanis from the cover of the Atlas of the Dragonlance Saga. afterall, chronicles is their story, not Takhisis or Raistlin.

Weldon

Dragonhelm
09-29-2006, 07:07 PM

I've got some other images to post sometime this weekend. In the meantime, it's off to the IHOP. :)

Ravenmantle
09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
In the meantime, it's off to the IHOP. :)

The whatchamacallit?

Ravenmantle

Sephzero
09-29-2006, 07:44 PM
The whatchamacallit?

Ravenmantle

The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) where you go when you want to eat pancakes at any time of the day or night.

Queen of Darkness
09-30-2006, 07:08 AM
It looks like they took from the Legend's calendar with beefcake caramon, crysania, and Tasslehoff along with Raistlin's head.
Weldon

The book is a tribute to the late Keith Parkinson and all the art is by him.

Margaret

Tanthalus
09-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I disagree with the fact that it's the ugliest Raistlin around. It's actually my personal favorite version of him, in its original incarnation.

talinthas
09-30-2006, 12:43 PM
oh. it suddenly makes sense.

Dragonhelm
09-30-2006, 01:09 PM

Very cool, Margaret.

Glad your technical difficulties are over with. :)

I still need to post those pics....

Dragonhelm
09-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Okay, gang, here's the pics.

First, the front cover...

http://dragonhelm.net/959647200_xlg3Dfront.jpg

Then the back cover...

http://dragonhelm.net/959647200_xlg3Dback.jpg

Then the map...

http://dragonhelm.net/959647200_Map.jpg

And finally, the product fan...

http://dragonhelm.net/959647200_ProductFan.jpg

Stay shiny!

Kranar Drogin
09-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, I might have to get this book then, but that is my last Chronicles book I will buy. :)

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
09-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't know, for so high a price...

Heron
09-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't know, for so high a price...

You can get it for $45 or so dollars on Amazon and B.A.M.M. Rather cheap for such a nice leather bound hardcover.

Tassleshade Pricklyfoot
09-30-2006, 03:47 PM
O.O
that looks AWESOME. i hope i can get it... :D

Antimodes
09-30-2006, 03:58 PM
is the release date on the 10th or the 17th, i've seen both dates on different sites?

cheers,
legionnaire # 629

DaemonAngel
09-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Oh Yeah :D

Dragonhelm
09-30-2006, 05:00 PM
You can get it for $45 or so dollars on Amazon and B.A.M.M. Rather cheap for such a nice leather bound hardcover.

I just added the leatherbound Chronicles to the Nexus' products section. If you're going to order through Amazon, you can order through the Nexus and support the site. Here's a link:

Dragonlance Chronicles Special Collector's Edition (http://www.dlnexus.com/products/535.aspx)

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the support.

Heron
09-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I just added the leatherbound Chronicles to the Nexus' products section. If you're going to order through Amazon, you can order through the Nexus and support the site. Here's a link:

Dragonlance Chronicles Special Collector's Edition (http://www.dlnexus.com/products/535.aspx)

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the support.

Now that I can get two day shipping for free. . .I will order via the Nexus. :D

Ravenmantle
10-01-2006, 07:17 AM
I just ordered a copy (via the Nexus :)) along with Expedition of Castle Ravenloft. I can't wait to get my hands on these two books. I've wanted to reread the Chronicles for a while now and this'll give me an excuse to do so :D

Ravenmantle

Jamie
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Ordering through the Nexus is a great deal (amazing price from Amazon.com!). You can also get the product through us at normal retail price. We not only offer Margaret's signature on every copy purchased, ut we are throwing in a copy of the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, signed by both Margaret and myself -- completely free of charge (but a $40 normal retail value). Either way, this looks to be an amazing addition to a Dragonlance collector's library.

talinthas
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
i really want to like this. i really do.

but i can't.

As stated earlier in this thread, i have god knows how many copies of the original trilogy (every american cover, multiple foriegn eds, etc), and aside from my reading copy, they collect dust. More than that, i don't want to support WotC's fan exploitation anymore. I don't want them to think that they can just repackage 20 year old material over and over and expect me to buy it, even if it has beautiful Keith Parkinson plates all over. I don't want to support their recent editorial decisions on the way dragonlance is being handled. And I refuse to let them treat loyal fans like cash cows, ready to drop stacks of money for nothing.

I guess that means that i'm renouncing my Obssessive Fanboy Collecter PrC, then =) And please don't think i'm hating on margaret and tracy. If i didn't love them dearly, i wouldn't be so annoyed at how often i've bought them =)

Dragonhelm
10-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I can understand what you mean, Tal. It's like the D&D sourcebooks. I bought the 2nd edition ones, hunted down the 1st edition ones, got the 3rd edition ones. Then they had the 3.5 versions and then the leatherbound 3.5. It becomes too much.

Already, I have two copies of Chronicles and Legends (collector's and annotated respectfully). I know I don't have all the copies you have. I originally wasn't going to pick this version up either. Then I heard about the Keith Parkinson dedication and saw the pics. That changes things a bit.

I probably will order mine through Amazon, or ask for it for Christmas. I can't justify spending $75 on it, but I would spend $45.

I'm wondering if they'll do a leather-bound Legends. That might depend on how Chronicles does.

Weldon Chen
10-01-2006, 03:26 PM
As stated earlier in this thread, i have god knows how many copies of the original trilogy (every american cover, multiple foriegn eds, etc), and aside from my reading copy, they collect dust.

Yeah. I admit, I probably have too many copies of stuff. Tal's seen my collection, where i have soft and hardcover versions of the same annotated. I believe the pinnacle of Dragonlance Otakuism was:

Talinthas: How many copies of the DLCS do you have?

Weldon: Two. oh wait... ... ... ... three. Definitely three.

But a $45 is too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks trampas. I probably wouldn't have gotten this if it wasn't such a terrific deal.

Weldon

Gerrin
10-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't think I can commit to this purchase. I was going through my collection the other day and discovered I own 3 copies of 1st edition chronicles, 2 boxed sets, a mismatched collection of various reprints, the last reprinting of the series, and have just purchased the annotated chronicles. My wife when I approached her on the $75 price and the $45 gave me the impression it was either this or the race sourcebook that is coming out. I am going to have to go with the sourcebook. Not hating here either, just have to make money decisions.

silvanthalas
10-01-2006, 05:03 PM
I have an Amazon.com reward certificate coming (sometimes, credit cards are good for something), so with that $25, plus the price already being at $45 or so, I'll be getting this after all soon.

This after I spent my last $25 certificate catching up on all the Dragonlance gaming products that have come out this year. :D

Raistlinrox
10-01-2006, 05:54 PM
hopefully i'll get this for my birthday in november or for chistmas. :) i only have the paperback annotated, and it's spine is broke right down the middle, so it's held together with duct tape...yea, it really does work on everything!

DarkKnight921
10-01-2006, 11:29 PM
For someone who doesn't have a nice, annotated copy of the chronicles this is a very nice thing to have. I for one am going to be purchasing it (as soon as I get the money for it haha).

Devildog
10-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Im still on the fence on this. Its the darn miser in me. I have the money I just feel like Tal. I already have Chronicles and the Annotated Chronicles and I just dont know if I need another copy sitting around. But seeing how its new and dedicated to Keith Parkinson I will probably get it. I just know I dont need it. :confused:

Ravenmantle
10-02-2006, 05:47 AM
It's not a question of needing it really. The vast majority of Dragonlance fans already has one copy of the Chronicles. This is a collector's item, a product which appeals to the collector in us all.

Ravenmantle

camm91
10-02-2006, 05:49 AM
and it's dang sexy :p

Detritus
10-02-2006, 05:53 AM
It says at the Nexus that it's annotated, is this true? Cause I still need the annotated chronicles and this would be a great (though expensive) alternative...

Senti
10-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Hmmm... Is it going to be as large as the annotated chronicles? That's a terror bringing to school, having that, it's practically like having two textbooks in your backpack... >.<
Rofl.

Oh, by the way, are we going to get to see "Tika Takes a Bath"? I really wanna see that! :p

Khaisai
10-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Wow. This is a very good looking book indeed, and I shall be getting it.

It surprised me though - I was expecting a kind of brown thick leather olde cover, to make it look tome like.

Dragonhelm
10-02-2006, 07:03 AM
It says at the Nexus that it's annotated, is this true? Cause I still need the annotated chronicles and this would be a great (though expensive) alternative...

That's what I got from Amazon. I'm not entirely certain how true it is. If it isn't, I'll make a correction right away.

Detritus
10-02-2006, 08:34 AM
That's what I got from Amazon. I'm not entirely certain how true it is. If it isn't, I'll make a correction right away.

Seems like we have to wait for the first people to get their copies and tell us if it's annotated or not :D

Rhett
10-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I think I'll get this. Unlike alot of you, I only have one beat copy of Chronicles, and I had been sporadically checking eBay for a good price on the hardback annotated Chonicles anyways. I'm pretty pleased now that I held back a couple years ago.

Dragonhelm
10-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Seems like we have to wait for the first people to get their copies and tell us if it's annotated or not :D

Not even that long. I just checked and it is confirmed - this is the annotated version! :cool:

Antimodes
10-02-2006, 10:05 AM
what is the publication date, the 10th or the 17th? i've seen both.

cheers,
legionnaire # 629

iskoot
10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
:D
Not even that long. I just checked and it is confirmed - this is the annotated version! :cool:
And NOW I KNOW I have to own this precious book...before it was a matter of if and when the I would get the book...NO MORE THOUGH :D :D

Raistlinrox
10-02-2006, 11:33 AM
and it's dang sexy :p

Ya know, Justin Timberlake has nothing on this book. IT is what's bringing sexyback... sorry, couldn't help it. :D

Canlocu
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
The cover looks great and the tribute Keith Parkinson will be a nice addition to any DL collection. I will have to order this a.s.a.p.

Antimodes
10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
what is the publication date, the 10th or the 17th? i've seen both. and now amazon says the 24th. what is it.

cheers,
legionnaire # 629

Sephzero
10-02-2006, 12:44 PM
The WotC Catalog for that Quarter puts the street release date for October 10. However per distributor speed, some places may have it avaliable before that street date.

Antimodes
10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
The WotC Catalog for that Quarter puts the street release date for October 10. However per distributor speed, some places may have it avaliable before that street date.
finally an answer, thx a million.

cheers,
legionnaire # 629

iskoot
10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Is there something wrong with the nexus? it won't let me in it...it asked me for a username and password...<shrugs> didn't have that problem yesterday! let me know from the rest of you!

Dragonhelm
10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Is there something wrong with the nexus? it won't let me in it...it asked me for a username and password...<shrugs> didn't have that problem yesterday! let me know from the rest of you!

Yes, we're having technical issues. Unfortunately, Matt is out the rest of the week, so it probably won't be a quick fix.

More on this later.

iskoot
10-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Yes, we're having technical issues. Unfortunately, Matt is out the rest of the week, so it probably won't be a quick fix.

More on this later.
Thanx for the quick reassurance...for a second there I thought it might have been because of my work blocking it... :D

Heron
10-04-2006, 02:12 PM

I knew I could trust Paizo! ;) J/k :D

j0llyblackgiant
10-06-2006, 03:05 AM
i am buying it... Maybe they will release a leather bound legends trilogy next year that would be nice

Detritus
10-06-2006, 06:41 AM
I want that book!!!! Only problem is where to get the money from to buy it? Would be 2 or 3 months of not buying any other DL books :(

Antimodes
10-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I want that book!!!! Only problem is where to get the money from to buy it? Would be 2 or 3 months of not buying any other DL books :(
a small price to pay for such a great book. don't you agree?

Falindrith
10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Does it have the same annotation as the Annotated Chronicles? :confused:

Carteeg_Struve
10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Nah. They're probably in a different font. ;)

Articblast
10-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I will check it out.
If the book is packaged well i will buy it.
Just hope to the High God they dont release another for 20 yrs.
I have to many version of this book! lol

LuckyIFoundThis
10-08-2006, 11:37 PM
i am buying it... Maybe they will release a leather bound legends trilogy next year that would be nice
Thats what Ima hopin for. Cause you gotta have the match set!

Detritus
10-09-2006, 01:33 AM
a small price to pay for such a great book. don't you agree?

It's just that my wife will kill me if I spend 65 Euro (Amazon.de) on one single book :o

Antimodes
10-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Thats what Ima hopin for. Cause you gotta have the match set!
if they do that they need to make a annotated war of souls in hardcover, paperback, and leather bound

iskoot
10-11-2006, 11:44 AM
if they do that they need to make a annotated war of souls in hardcover, paperback, and leather bound
Ok...now you're looking to far into the future...lmao...

talinthas
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
i think every single dragonlance book should have an annotated version, even if its just a web enhancement.

Antimodes
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
i think every single dragonlance book should have an annotated version, even if its just a web enhancement.
they seem to only do that with weis and hickman trilogies, so war of souls should be next.

talinthas
10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
what, and skip dragons of summer flame?

Falconer
10-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't really see any Dragonlance books even approaching the popularity and demand for reprints and annotations that Chronicles and Legends command. If any, it would have to be The Second Generation + Dragons of Summer Flame, or maaaybe The Legend of Huma + Kaz the Minotaur + "Kaz and the Dragon's Children" + Land of the Minotaurs. The War of Souls has at least seven years to go before it can claim to be a classic. Regards.

Kranar Drogin
10-11-2006, 04:13 PM
I agree with you on that. WoS has while yet before that happens. What I would like to see is an annotated Dragons of Summer Flame. I'm not going to cry over it if that doesn't happen though.

Canlocu
10-11-2006, 07:12 PM

I like this idea. A web enhancement is possible and would be a great add to a collection. Thing is are all the writers to busy. :p

Antimodes
10-12-2006, 12:37 PM
what, and skip dragons of summer flame?
they seem to do it with TRILOGIES by weis and hickman, summer flame and the second generation are individual books in my oppinion.

Antimodes
10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't really see any Dragonlance books even approaching the popularity and demand for reprints and annotations that Chronicles and Legends command. If any, it would have to be The Second Generation + Dragons of Summer Flame, or maaaybe The Legend of Huma + Kaz the Minotaur + "Kaz and the Dragon's Children" + Land of the Minotaurs. The War of Souls has at least seven years to go before it can claim to be a classic. Regards.
WEIS AND HICKMAN TRILOGIES are what the annotated books seem to be, that way they always follow the same stories and run in chronological order; with flashbacks to the past.

talinthas
10-12-2006, 12:41 PM
they chose trilogies cause chronicles and legends are trilogies. if chron and leg were 2 books each, they'd have chosen duologies. Its not the amount of books that matters here, but the choices they made. Chron/leg were chosen because of their prominence and importance to the genre. It has nothing to do with how many books are in the set.

Falconer
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
SG and DoSF are set in the same time-frame in-world, as well as being published in 1994 and 1995, respectively. They have basically the same main characters (Tanis, Palin, Steel, Dougan). They are about the same things (the Knights of Takhisis, is Raistlin really dead, the Graygem, Raistlin's Daughter). Uh, they're both by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

So what if it's structured as five novellas, an appendix, and a double-sized novel, rather than three equally-sized books? Put it together and you have one big book, just like the combined Chronicles or combined Legends.

Just for fun, let's compare page counts from the mass-market editions currently available. I'm not sure off-hand if they all have the same size print, but it should be interesting:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight - 444
Dragons of Winter Night - 395
Dragons of Spring Dawning - 380
TOTAL CHRONICLES: 1214

Time of the Twins - 400
War of the Twins - 400
Time of the Twins - 352
TOTAL LEGENDS - 1152

The Second Generation - 448
Dragons of Summer Flame - 608
TOTAL SECOND GENERATION - 1046

[Source: dlnexus.com]

So, yeah, same ball park. Not to mention that the current printings of SG are missing the appendix, which could easily be minimalistically converted and re-included in an annotated version. Regards.

Falconer
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
It would also be an interesting project to use Amazon sales ratings to track the top ten or twenty best-selling Dragonlance novels over a period of time. It would be interesting to see how the Holy Six match up against new books as they come out, and what other books maintain consistent high sales. Regards.

Antimodes
10-12-2006, 04:44 PM
SG and DoSF are set in the same time-frame in-world, as well as being published in 1994 and 1995, respectively. They have basically the same main characters (Tanis, Palin, Steel, Dougan). They are about the same things (the Knights of Takhisis, is Raistlin really dead, the Graygem, Raistlin's Daughter). Uh, they're both by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

So what if it's structured as five novellas, an appendix, and a double-sized novel, rather than three equally-sized books? Put it together and you have one big book, just like the combined Chronicles or combined Legends.

Just for fun, let's compare page counts from the mass-market editions currently available. I'm not sure off-hand if they all have the same size print, but it should be interesting:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight - 444
Dragons of Winter Night - 395
Dragons of Spring Dawning - 380
TOTAL CHRONICLES: 1214

Time of the Twins - 400
War of the Twins - 400
Time of the Twins - 352
TOTAL LEGENDS - 1152

The Second Generation - 448
Dragons of Summer Flame - 608
TOTAL SECOND GENERATION - 1046

[Source: dlnexus.com]

So, yeah, same ball park. Not to mention that the current printings of SG are missing the appendix, which could easily be minimalistically converted and re-included in an annotated version. Regards.
when i see the page count, i agree that there needs to be an annotated DoSF and SG combined. but war of souls first. just my oppinion.

Antimodes
10-12-2006, 04:46 PM
they chose trilogies cause chronicles and legends are trilogies. if chron and leg were 2 books each, they'd have chosen duologies. Its not the amount of books that matters here, but the choices they made. Chron/leg were chosen because of their prominence and importance to the genre. It has nothing to do with how many books are in the set.
i see your point. i'll shut up, RIGHT AFTER A WORD from my sponcer... me:

WAR OF SOULS FIRST.
WAR OF SOULS!!
WAR OF SOULS!!
WAR OF SOULS!!
WAR OF SOULS!!

iskoot
10-13-2006, 07:30 AM
when i see the page count, i agree that there needs to be an annotated DoSF and SG combined. but war of souls first. just my oppinion.
And not to take away from your opinion...BUT, why would they do War of Souls first? You NEED to have DoSF and SG done first. Why? Because without those books, no one would know what the hell they jumped into. Just a simple thought...

Antimodes
10-13-2006, 07:45 AM
And not to take away from your opinion...BUT, why would they do War of Souls first? You NEED to have DoSF and SG done first. Why? Because without those books, no one would know what the hell they jumped into. Just a simple thought...
cause i like War of Souls more than DoSF and SG.

Khaisai
10-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Where is this darn book? Just come back from spending a hectic lunch scouring 6 bookshops in London and not one has it. NOT ONE!!!!

I thought it was out on the 10th Oct. Does anyone know if there is a different release date in the UK? We got the comics at the same time, so I thought it would be the same. Has there been a delay?

Antimodes
10-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Where is this darn book? Just come back from spending a hectic lunch scouring 6 bookshops in London and not one has it. NOT ONE!!!!

I thought it was out on the 10th Oct. Does anyone know if there is a different release date in the UK? We got the comics at the same time, so I thought it would be the same. Has there been a delay?
some places in the US don't even have it until the 24th or 31st.

Raistlinrox
10-13-2006, 01:04 PM
It's just that my wife will kill me if I spend 65 Euro (Amazon.de) on one single book :o

But, it's actually 3 single books, plus annotations, plus art plates...soooo, yea there's that

Falconer
10-26-2006, 02:30 AM
WeldonThe book is a tribute to the late Keith Parkinson and all the art is by him.Except the art in question (the "ugly" Raistlin head) is by Clyde Caldwell...

Antimodes
10-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Weldon
Except the art in question (the "ugly" Raistlin head) is by Clyde Caldwell...
really? i wouldn't have noticed. are you sure?

Jamie
10-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Actually, the Raistlin head is by Clyde Caldwell. It was taken from the Dragonlance Legends calendar in the late 1980s. The front image is the cover of the novel The Dark Queen by Jeff Easley.

I can't speak for the interiors, because I haven't cracked one open yet.

Detritus
10-26-2006, 08:46 AM
But, it's actually 3 single books, plus annotations, plus art plates...soooo, yea there's that

I think that won't matter to her :(

talinthas
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
as i said earlier in this thread, i can't imagine why the powers that be would choose the ugliest samples of dragonlance art to grace the cover of this book. If they wanted to be awesome, the cover would be "What do you mean we're lost?" --the best Parkinson painting ever.

Khaisai
10-26-2006, 12:32 PM
as i said earlier in this thread, i can't imagine why the powers that be would choose the ugliest samples of dragonlance art to grace the cover of this book. If they wanted to be awesome, the cover would be "What do you mean we're lost?" --the best Parkinson painting ever.
I don't think they're ugly exactly... but they do lose a lot when rendered in one colour foil. And they are rather strange choices when it is supposed to be a celebration of Parkinson art.

talinthas
10-26-2006, 12:54 PM
personal opinions, of course=)

The Dark Queen, aside from not being a particularly good piece of easley art (he's done so much better!) also has the stigma of being the cover art to one of the worst dragonlance novels ever. Why would you want to put that on the cover of the new chron? Why not emboss Lockwoods awesome annotated chron painting instead? Or hey, an elmore?

and of the hundreds of raistlin paintings we have, they chose this one? really? and why raist? This is chron, which is Tanis's story. What i would have done (had it been my call) would be to put the beautiful elmore ink drawing of Tanis and Laurana in an embrace on the side, instead of Raist. But i'm just a loudmouth fanboy =)

Jamie
10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Tal,

The Tanis & Laurana pic is one of my favorites, and I would have loved to have seen that. And as an ink wash it could theoretically even be easier to translate. But no one asked us!

Falconer
10-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Er, me too!

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
10-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Mine came in the mail today! Can't wait for my dad to bring it home!

Weldon Chen
10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Tal,

The Tanis & Laurana pic is one of my favorites, and I would have loved to have seen that. And as an ink wash it could theoretically even be easier to translate. But no one asked us!

Yeap. there'a me-too here as well. I figure Chronicles is all about Tanis and Laurana, then they should be on the cover.

Now if they did a Legends leather bound, THEN they should use Raistlin.

Weldon

Antimodes
10-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeap. there'a me-too here as well. I figure Chronicles is all about Tanis and Laurana, then they should be on the cover.

Now if they did a Legends leather bound, THEN they should use Raistlin.

Weldon

this quote is a jokewell duh

i agree. Tanis and Laurana is what chronicles is all about. Kit and Tas thrown in of course. :D

I love Raist, but he is a minor to moderate player in Chronicles. Tas is a plays a bigger part, the nessicary comedy in a serious book trilogy, in Chronicles. Tas is my actual fav, so that might color my opinion. Raist is a close second place as far as favorite characters go.

cheers,
Legionaire 629

Khaisai
11-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Finally got my hands on a copy yesterday - it's verrrrrrry pretty and shiny! :D Well worth getting, IMO.

Raistlinrox
11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
I think that if they were to use a non-Parkinson piece for the cover, I rather think the picture of ALL of the companions from the Tales of the Lance box set would make sense.

j0llyblackgiant
11-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Finally got my hands on a copy yesterday - it's verrrrrrry pretty and shiny! :D Well worth getting, IMO.

I agree with you there... all though i fear removing the shrink wrap. Since i all ready have the three books and then i have the annotated chronicles... so i just have this for collection purposes.

Antimodes
11-04-2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with you there... all though i fear removing the shrink wrap. Since i all ready have the three books and then i have the annotated chronicles... so i just have this for collection purposes.
i won't remove it from the shrink wrap.

Weldon Chen
11-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, I got my copy. I did open it up. It's definitely the Annotated version of the books. placed sporatically throughout the book there are artwork plates created by Keith Parkinson, as well as dedications from margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman about Keith.

Weldon

Raistlinrox
11-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I got my copy. I did open it up. It's definitely the Annotated version of the books. placed sporatically throughout the book there are artwork plates created by Keith Parkinson, as well as dedications from margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman about Keith.

Weldon

So, Weldon, what are your thoughts on the book?

Weldon Chen
11-11-2006, 06:32 AM
So, Weldon, what are your thoughts on the book?

Hmmm. okay. I'll give you a mini-review of what to expect.

I'll assume you've seen pictures of the book on amazon, and on these forums, so that you know this leather bound book is black leather. the front cover has a dragonlance tip in gold and red, with a an image of Takhisis and 5 dragon heads behind her (which you'd see in color if you had the novel, The Dark Queen. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are detailed in gold to the left and right of the dragonlance tip (respectively). and at the bottom is Dragonlance Chronicles in Gold and Red. The back cover has a red enlaid dragon orb emblem you'd also see in Dragons of Winter Night, Book 1, chapter 12. The spine has a smaller emblem with Raistlin's face on it. This face is seen on the 1987 dragonlance calendar. Personally, I would have chosen Tanis and Laurana in some way, because chronicles really is their book, not Raistlin and Takhisis. I can see using them in Legends but not really for chronicles. the edge of the pages are gold, so the edges look quite elegant when the book is closed.

The first difference in this book compared to all the others is the dedication to Keith Parkinson by Margaret Weis, followed by another one from Tracy Hickman. Both very heartfelt and touching, and three pages of tear jerking loss over a great artist. . The rest of the book is another replay of Dragonlance Annotated Chronicles with all the side commentary for the books.

There are also several full color plates of Keith's artwork pretaining to dragonlance.
There is The Soulforge, The Forging of the Dragonlance, Dragons of Desolation, Dragons of War, Flight of the Dragon Orb, The Last Spell of Fistandantilus, The Doom Brigade (chaos war series edition cover), Raistlin's Farewell, The Big Stash (Which i never really considered a dragonlance painting *shrug*), Dragons of Hope, Lord Soth's Charge, What do you mean we're lost?

All of these really show Keith's incredible work, however, I have a nitpick. In particular, some of these pieces of artwork are "out of order" to the story of Chronicles. Personally, I would have preferred the order of the color plates to be in relation to the story. for example, the Big Stash and What do you mean we're Lost? should have been in front, show casing flint the dwarf and the first encounter of draconians. Dragons of Desolation (with a flying citadel/Derkin's tomb) should be in spring dawning when Kalaman and a flying citadel might be mentioned. Likewise, The plate for Dragons of War has Kit, Skie and Sturm at the clerist's tower. that plate is located near the front before page 313 which sotrywise is when Eben joins the group in Autumn twilight. I kinda consider that some kind of spoiler. Lord Soth's Charge is a plate that should really go where kitiara and Ariakas talk of Soth's past. While the plates show keith's work, the misordering of the plates to the story does a dis-service to the story.

Lastly, the book finished with a foldout map of Ansalon. I must admit, the map is a bit roughly drawn. I'm hoping that this was Keith's work on Ansalon.

Among my other nitpick is the sticker. I don't know about everyone else's copy, but underneath the plastic around the book, there's a big white sticker on the back of the book. I hate stickers. it's so hard to remove these things and the glue needs to be rubbed off and there's a sticky residue left over if you try to remove that sticker.

So, How do I feel about this purchase? well, I got it from Amazon, and for $45. and I think my money is actually well spent (And I've already bought the soft cover and hard cover of Annotated Chronicles a while ago). However, the suggested retail price is $75. If' you've already got Annotated Chronicles, you don't really need this purchase. I've save the $75 on the 9 dragonlance books you can buy for that price. If you're a first time buyer of Annotated Chronicles, this is another opportunity to get a book with all the juice bits from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

There you go.

Weldon

Umari Solanthus
11-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Will this version be available in the UK? I really shouldn't get it, cause I have no more room on my book shelves thanks to Uni, Dragonlance, and various other magic-based novels, but it is a collector's thing. o.o And it looks spiffy. XD

Khaisai
11-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Will this version be available in the UK? I really shouldn't get it, cause I have no more room on my book shelves thanks to Uni, Dragonlance, and various other magic-based novels, but it is a collector's thing. o.o And it looks spiffy. XD
Yep. Cos I've got one.

People, if you don't remove it from the shrink wrap you are missing out on the beauty of the book. If you want to buy one to keep pristine, then buy two! ;)

Weldon, I'm with you on the sticker thing - ugh. I'll be trying to get that off with something as soon as I can figure out what the best method is.

Umari Solanthus
11-11-2006, 02:42 PM
T.T If only some of us had the money to do that. I'm on such a tight budget right now.

So it's already available in the UK then? >.> Trust my town not to have it. We got Dragons of the Dwarven Depths two months late!!!

Raistlinrox
11-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the review, Weldon. The only copy of Chronicles I have is the paperback Annotated, with the spine split in the middle, so the book is held together by duct tape. I'll try to get this on my Christmas list.

j0llyblackgiant
11-14-2006, 01:57 AM
i dont want to open my leather bound copy because i am afraid of ruining it... i have this copy is for collection purposes any way.

Ravenmantle
11-14-2006, 02:08 AM
I just received my copy of the book yesterday (I never thought I'd get rid of the postman!) and I second everything Weldon said about the book, execpt maybe the order in which the Keith Parkinson color plates are presented. Not a big deal to me.

Anyhoo, this is my first annotated version of the Chronicles and as such, I think the money has been very well spent (bought it via the Nexus).

Ravenmantle

talinthas
11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
i saw weldon's copy sunday, and it just reinforced my thought that the book is entirely not worth 75 bucks to me.

silvanthalas
11-15-2006, 12:28 AM
i saw weldon's copy sunday, and it just reinforced my thought that the book is entirely not worth 75 bucks to me.

I think it's worth it.

But then, I did get it for 35% off, plus free shipping, etc etc. It'll go nicely with the rest of my hardcovers on the bookshelf that I had to hide away in my closet because there's nowhere else to put it. :)

Gatt
11-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Yep. Cos I've got one.

People, if you don't remove it from the shrink wrap you are missing out on the beauty of the book. If you want to buy one to keep pristine, then buy two! ;)

Weldon, I'm with you on the sticker thing - ugh. I'll be trying to get that off with something as soon as I can figure out what the best method is.

Run of the mill Alcohol Wipes from the corner drug store will do it.

But alcohol has an inherent drying effect, so I offer no guarantees it won't harm the cover. I doubt it would, but you never know...

Khaisai
11-15-2006, 04:23 AM
Thanks Gatt. I'll try it on an inconspicuous part of the book first. :)

reinbowarrior
11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Yep. Cos I've got one.

Khaisai - where'd you get it from in the UK?

Need to purchase one - and get yet more bookshelves!

SpIcEz
01-13-2007, 07:52 PM
This is a question for Margaret Weis.

I read over on Drangonlance Underground (http://www.dragonlanceunderground.com/features/specialed.asp) about changes made in the Special Edition book.

I just wanted to know if there was any truth to it before I purchase this Edition.
Im really looking forward to holding that book in my hands as Ive read the originals over 15 years ago and have been looking forward to re-reading these classics as an adult.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Below is an example cited on that webpage of the kind of changes made in the book. (Are these the changes made for the young adult version ?)

Thanks

Chris

References to Paladine, Takhisis, Mishakal and Reorx as gods will be replaced by them being "supreme beings". This is done both to avoid offending religious sensitivities (the idea of an evil god is a particularly offensive one children should not be exposed to), and to incorporate the canon of the Dragons of a Vanished Moon appendix into Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

The words "Good" and "Evil" are spelled with capital letters so that children can easier see the distinction between the two, and thus know that there is a clear choice whether you're good or whether you're evil, with us or against us.

"Tanis was only half-elven, a child of violence, his mother having been raped by a human warrior during one of the many wars that had divided the different races of Krynn in the chaotic years following the Cataclysm."

Improved to:

"Tanis was only half-elven, his mother was kidnapped by a band of human bandits, and one of them forced himself on her. Even though the parents grew to respect each other somewhat, he never learned the truth and was never fully accepted by even society."

talinthas
01-13-2007, 07:54 PM
LOL!!!

The dragonlance underground is a parody site. the information you read is a joke =)

Sephzero
01-13-2007, 07:58 PM
And it hasn't been the first time the site cause confusion on this particular matter either.

harthan
01-13-2007, 08:01 PM
If it's a parody, why wasn't it funny?

Sephzero
01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
If it's a parody, why wasn't it funny?

Because humor tends to be a hit or miss for folks. Different milage for the most part.

harthan
01-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Because humor tends to be a hit or miss for folks. Different milage for the most part.

Ok, then....not seeing much of a point to it, but hey, whatever.

talinthas
01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
cause the underground IS funny. really funny. if you're a certain generation of DL fan. wait till my state of the lance, and i'll explain.

harthan
01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
cause the underground IS funny. really funny. if you're a certain generation of DL fan. wait till my state of the lance, and i'll explain.

Curse me not being born 20 years earlier! The Fates conspire!

Valharic
01-13-2007, 10:29 PM
I laughed but good when I read that! :p on the DLU!

I got the leather bound book, first version of the chronicles I've gotten since the orginal paperbacks I've had for 20 years. I will sit on my shelf untouched. I may need to take it to GenCon and get W&H to sign it.

SpIcEz
01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the answer everyone.

I did browse the site a little (didint have much time) and figured it was some kind of parody site, but I didint know to what extent.

Thanks again, I guess I'll go click submit on my online basket :)

Khaisai
01-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Khaisai - where'd you get it from in the UK?

Need to purchase one - and get yet more bookshelves!
Sorry dude, only just saw you posted this! I bought mine from Orc's nest (didn't trust amazon) - but I saw one in Forbidden Planet. I assume you've got it now though?

And DLU - very very funny find, spicez! Harthan, you may find it funnier if you think about some people's over-reaction to anything vaguely offensive or religious. Think how Troy (bad, bad film anyway) managed to be a film all about the Trojan war, yet didn't mention the Greek gods once. I'm surprised Disney was even allowed to make Hercules! :)

Skyclad
01-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't know if anyone posted this already in this rather long thread, but Amazon dot com now has this book on sale for $47.25, nearly half off.

Trivaris
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
u know somethin.......

Probably not gona be very popular

but.... I wana see Legends and War of Souls and the Amber Trilogy, basically the 'core' 1st level storyline in Leather.

Quite honestly I really like the Amber Trilogy.. it's right up there.

Rhett
03-30-2007, 07:06 PM
So was there a final consensus on the best way to remove the bar-code sticker on the back? :confused: